Mike Liut’s Pearson win

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
What is also strange is that the Hart was actually pretty close in 1981, I mean really close. 242-237 in favour of Gretzky. Then in 3rd place is Dionne at 24. Basically it came down to those two. I agree with someone saying Liut was a lot like Joseph in 1999. He was the reason the team scored as much as they did because they knew they had him at the back end. Fuhr comes to mind with this sort of thing too. But was his season that good that he almost thwarted the guy who broke the single season assist and points record? Man, I just can't see it.

TheEye

Nov 4, 2018
He didn't only score one off Liut's back that night. From the 1999 NY Post article:

Most creative goal he ever scored?

“I scored one off the faceoff in St. Louis, off Mike Liut. I scored on a faceoff from my forehand then later in the game, I was lining up and the linesman said I bet you can’t do that on your backhand and I did.”

He had five that night, the last of which he banked off Liut’s back from behind the net. The greatest goal-scorer there ever was has never been primarily a goal-scorer, which shows you to the degree which he has dominated the game, just how far ahead of everyone who has every played it he is.

It's an extremely abbreviated list of players who could dream of achieving that on a given night.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
He didn't only score one off Liut's back that night. From the 1999 NY Post article:

Most creative goal he ever scored?

“I scored one off the faceoff in St. Louis, off Mike Liut. I scored on a faceoff from my forehand then later in the game, I was lining up and the linesman said I bet you can’t do that on your backhand and I did.”

He had five that night, the last of which he banked off Liut’s back from behind the net. The greatest goal-scorer there ever was has never been primarily a goal-scorer, which shows you to the degree which he has dominated the game, just how far ahead of everyone who has every played it he is.

It's an extremely abbreviated list of players who could dream of achieving that on a given night.

If the writer is correct that "he had five that night", then it isn't referring to the Feb. 1984 article linked earlier, but rather to December 15th, 1984 (the next season). The Oilers were on the road "in St. Louis", as Gretzky says, above, and Wayne picked up 5 goals and 1 assist.
Edmonton Oilers at St. Louis Blues Box Score — December 15, 1984 | Hockey-Reference.com

Confusing this, however, is the fact that Gretzky scored 4 goals in the first 40 minutes when Rick Wamsley was in net, then only 1 goal in the third when Liut was in.

So, either Gretzky (in 1999) was mis-remembering, and he actually scored the first face-off goal on Rick Wamsley, or he is actually talking about the February 18th 1981 game against St.Louis, when he scored 5 goals. That particular night, Gretzky scored 3 goals on Liut (by six minutes into the third, when Liut was pulled) and then 2 more on the back-up (Ed Staniowski). But the problem with that possibility is that the game was in Edmonton, not "in St.Louis" as Gretzky specified above.

There is video of both nights, but not easy to find... Let me have a look...

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It gets more confusing. Here's Wayne scoring off the face-off on Liut in St.Louis, but this is in the 1981-82 season (he had 2 goals and 1 assist in this game).:

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
This.

Liut was the best goalie of the 1980s and is probably the most underrated player in NHL history as a result of the stinky teams he spent his entire career playing behind.

Like, the top 2 defenders on that 80-81 Blues team were Rick Lapointe and Jack Brownschidle.

Exactly! The Blues starting six on defense was pedestrian as heck. Amazing the Blues had such an offense that year without a good defense. If they had 1 Norris caliber defenseman that year, there’s no doubt in Finals that year. Liut did carry the Blues that year. With that defense he had to.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Wayne Gretzky: "I scored on a faceoff from my forehand then later in the game, I was lining up and the linesman said I bet you can’t do that on your backhand and I did."

The linesman said that to him? Simpler times. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad