News Article: Mike Lange cutting back on travel schedule for 17-18 season

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
http://www.wtae.com/article/bodycam-shows-officer-mistakenly-apprehending-teen-with-autism/12442975

PITTSBURGH —
Pittsburgh Penguins radio announcer Mike Lange will be cutting back on his time spent on the road for the team's 2017-18 season.

He will handle play-by-play for all 41 regular season home games and approximately 15 out of 41 away games.

Advertisement
For games where Lange is not present, Josh Getzoff of the Penguins Radio Network will by the play-by-play announcer.

All playoff games will be called by Lange.

"I decided that in my 43rd season of NHL broadcasting it was time to really take a look at the road schedule, to start reducing my travel a bit," Lange said. "The Penguins have been very accommodating, and I really appreciate their willingness to work with me on this. I still plan to do 50-plus games. As part of this transition, we're all very fortunate to have a talented young broadcaster like Josh Getzoff here to step in and do play-by-play when I'm not in the booth. Penguins fans know Josh well from the past two seasons, and he has a very bright future."

Lange and Getzoff will work with Phil Bourque. When Getzoff handles play-by-play duties, Paul Steigerwald will be the pre- and post-game radio host.

I get the feeling we are nearing the end of the Lange era in Pittsburgh, which is not unexpected but definitely sad. Looks like Getzoff may be the heir apparent?

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
In all fairness, he hasn't looked the best for the last couple years. I think we were all blessed to be able to grow up admiring his work. There is no heir to Lange IMO.

I agree that he is probably at a point where his health will soon be of more concern than his broadcasting talent. If not Getzoff, I wonder who would be brought in to replace him?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Lange has grown a bit stale. Maybe with Mears taking over for Steigy will help. It's very nice of the Pens to allow him to work part-time.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
:( Partially offsets the joy of Staggy getting the boot.

Seriously, dude does not look good, and pretty much more than anyone but Mario, he is Penguin hockey.

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009
I agree that he is probably at a point where his health will soon be of more concern than his broadcasting talent. If not Getzoff, I wonder who would be brought in to replace him?

The broadcast search committee will comb North America before announcing that ... Steigy is the man! :popcorn:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hope everything is alright in his life. And this is more about simply transitioning away from his profession so he can enjoy some quality time during his golden years. Lange is a big reason I love Pittsburgh hockey as much as I do, odd as it may sound to some. His voice and approach to calling the game is what I came up on.

Not to mention a huge reason I found Steigerwald such a travesty. Which is kind of ironic considering where Steigerwald came from.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well, he was the voice of the Pens for so long. I agree he has grown stale, but it is of his own fault, he makes so many mistakes on air anymore. Maybe not booze so much to make yourself a frail looking 90 year old at the age of 69.

Man is a legend, and maybe it's best to just step aside permanently. Sad to watch/listen knowing how it all is manifesting. It's not just due to old age.

I'd rather not listen to that, and back to back cup runs should be satisfying enough to walk away.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Well, he was the voice of the Pens for so long. I agree he has grown stale, but it is of his own fault, he makes so many mistakes on air anymore. Maybe not booze so much to make yourself a frail looking 90 year old at the age of 69.

Man is a legend, and maybe it's best to just step aside permanently. Sad to watch/listen knowing how it all is manifesting. It's not just due to old age.

I'd rather not listen to that, and back to back cup runs should be satisfying enough to walk away.

If he's still drinking like he did after being passed over for TV broadcast, he probably has a problem and it ain't that easy to stop.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I said this in the media thread, but damn it sure sucks getting older. I know he's not totally gone, but the fact that his time is coming to a close, and Sid and Geno are now in their 30's? Where the **** did the time go?

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I said this in the media thread, but damn it sure sucks getting older. I know he's not totally gone, but the fact that his time is coming to a close, and Sid and Geno are now in their 30's? Where the **** did the time go?

We spent it winning 3 Cups? :D

Oh yeah...and struggling under Bylsma too. *puke*

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
We spent it winning 3 Cups? :D

Oh yeah...and struggling under Bylsma too. *puke*

CK3sf0_WwAAt-JU.jpg

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
From what I heard today from someone who knows Lange, he's not in any kind of dangerous ill-health. There were a few factors. The last couple seasons were long.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
From what I heard today from someone who knows Lange, he's not in any kind of dangerous ill-health. There were a few factors. The last couple seasons were long.

That's reassuring. And the last part is understandable. That seems to be the preferred route for old school broadcasters. Ease the schedule so you can do the job as long as (normal) health permits. Old age catches up to ya.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
it's a hard 69....he crammed a lot of fun in those yr.s

Yeah my understanding is he tied more than a few on during his prime. Takes its toll. Can't escape the ravages of smoking or drinking, even if you don't get "disease" it still beats the hell out of your body's ability to replace cells efficiently, etc. Hence the bad skin, etc you often see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->