Injury Report: Mike Kostka diagnosed with a concussion (out indefinitely)

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 3m

3 games suspension for Douglas Murray. #nhl #canadiens #tvasports

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How come we never get Shanahan in the videos involving our team. I don't see how Murray gets only 3 when Panik got 2 for a much less dangerous hit, these suspensions make no sense.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
How come we never get Shanahan in the videos involving our team. I don't see how Murray gets only 3 when Panik got 2 for a much less dangerous hit, these suspensions make no sense.

There was no way he was getting any more than 3. Been in the league for a long time and has no history. The hit deserved more but the player doesn't.

Chimaira

Mar 31, 2014
The NHL doesn't care about player safety so unless a hit makes the league look bad like Downie when he was on the Flyers or Thornton recently they only give a couple games.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
There was no way he was getting any more than 3. Been in the league for a long time and has no history. The hit deserved more but the player doesn't.

That makes no sense, if Sami Salo cracks a Flame in the head tonight Marty McSorley style I'm sure he's getting a huge suspension no matter how long he's been in the league as a clean player.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

I figure that the Shanahan-Yzerman connection could make it appear that there's bias.

The NHL doesn't care about player safety so unless a hit makes the league look bad like Downie when he was on the Flyers or Thornton recently they only give a couple games.

that's kind of why I was thinking if Kostka had let the stretcher take him off, Murray might have been suspended longer, although I don't really care for the gamesmanship.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
That makes no sense, if Sami Salo cracks a Flame in the head tonight Marty McSorley style I'm sure he's getting a huge suspension no matter how long he's been in the league as a clean player.

If you can't see the difference between that type of hit and Murray's reactionary, unintentional elbow then there is no point in debating this with you.

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
Habs fan coming in peace. Hits like Murray's hit on Kostka have no place in hockey and especially in our club. He should've been suspended for more games. Hopefully Kostka can return for the playoffs and suffers no long-term damage.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If you can't see the difference between that type of hit and Murray's reactionary, unintentional elbow then there is no point in debating this with you.

I can see the difference in hits but you made it seem like it was more the player's reputation they were suspending rather then the act. Which I feel shouldn't matter if it was a deliberate hit, it wasn't accidental targeting, he put the elbow out know i his head was right there.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think he should get more for the hit, not because he's a dirty play. All the rabble about how the Department of Player Safety is going to crack down on headshots - look, a lot of the hits that end up in suspensions are a bit more borderline, like going for a body check and the guy dips his head a bit or something like this. This is a clear headshot on an upright player - it should be easy to lay down the law on this one with no one getting up in arms. They didn't, yet again, so hits like this will keep happening. Three games in an 82 game season is nothing, especially when Montreal has clinched.

Murray isn't a dirty player, but this is a dirty hit. I don't know what it's going to take for them to be taken more seriously, though. These two-three game suspensions are nothing, and I'm not shocked we haven't seen much of a change in the amount or nature of headshots.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I think he should get more for the hit, not because he's a dirty play. All the rabble about how the Department of Player Safety is going to crack down on headshots - look, a lot of the hits that end up in suspensions are a bit more borderline, like going for a body check and the guy dips his head a bit or something like this. This is a clear headshot on an upright player - it should be easy to lay down the law on this one with no one getting up in arms. They didn't, yet again, so hits like this will keep happening. Three games in an 82 game season is nothing, especially when Montreal has clinched.

Murray isn't a dirty player, but this is a dirty hit. I don't know what it's going to take for them to be taken more seriously, though. These two-three game suspensions are nothing, and I'm not shocked we haven't seen much of a change in the amount or nature of headshots.

Someone will have to have a seizure on the ice or actually be paralyzed or suffer a subdural hematoma and have their life threatened or possibly die for the league to take this seriously. Basically, the optics of a stretcher coming out and taking people off on them isn't good enough. It has to look or actually be so bad that the league's image is tarnished irreparably.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
The NHL has had chances in the past to crack the whip and make an example of someone. They haven't. Expecting this time was foolish.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
The tough part is we lose a guy at a position that we have no depth at, and they actually improve by having Murray out of the lineup, **** all that.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/light...ays-i-think-ive-been-pretty-fortunate/2174101
Lightning defenseman Mike Kostka was back on the ice during Tuesday's morning skate, though wearing a red no-contact jersey.
Kostka said his symptoms were minimal (mostly some dizziness) and he has done off-ice workouts with no ill effects.

"I wouldn't be moving forward if I was feeling any of the symptoms," Kostka said. "Just keep pushing forward and, hopefully, it stays like it is. Taking the right steps so I don't jump in there too quickly."

Kostka said he has spoken to friends and teammates who have had both mild and severe concussions and said, "I think I've been pretty fortunate. That's kind of the tricky thing. Sometimes you don't feel much and then out of the blue something pops up. That's why regardless of whether you're feeling really good or not, you just have to be careful with the process to make sure you get back on time and as soon as possible."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad