News Article: Mike Hoffman's girlfriend allegedly behind Karlsson Harrassment. Update June15: Hoffman & gf respond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Does anyone have a timeline of all the tweets? And a timeline of when the dots were connected that all the different accounts were the same person?

Karlsson's son was stillborn on March 19. Their season ended on April 7th. If the harassment occurred around the time of the death of their son then that would put this timeline well after the trade deadline and with only a couple of weeks left in the season. How long after the tweets about their son did the Karlssons wait to hire someone to investigate and how long did it take the investigators to identify someone?

I feel like there's so much information missing. Maybe the other players' wives/girlfriends knew there was a dislike between Karlsson's wife and Hoffman's fiancee but it sounds like things didn't get to this weird point until well into late March and early April at which point you're talking about the season being nearly over and the GM having a whole summer to sort through the mess of it.

Does anyone have a more accurate timeline for this?

The peace order application indicated the harassment started in Nov 2017 from what I recall. It's pretty clear based on Karlsson's response to the post on instagram (the one accusing his wife of taking pain killers leading to the stillbirth of their son) that harassment had been longstanding (he accused the poster of buying burner accounts at that time as I recall).

This didn't start in March, that much is pretty clear.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Hoffman probably had no idea about his GF activities. When Karlsson allegedly confronted Hoffman in a parking lot, there’s a good chance Hoffman went “Huh?” and then he goes home and talks to his GF about it and she goes “Huh?”

Reactions: Ghetty Green

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
As others have indicated, this has to a huge reason why this team performed so poorly from November 2017 onward. How the hell do you coach a dysfunctional group like that?

I really feel like Boucher getting a second chance is warranted now.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Hoffman probably had no idea about his GF activities. When Karlsson allegedly confronted Hoffman in a parking lot, there’s a good chance Hoffman went “Huh?” and then he goes home and talks to his GF about it and she goes “Huh?”
A bunch of stuff leaking out suggests this wasn't something only a few people knew about. Seems the entire dressing room, and other wives were well aware of what was going on. If true, I'd find it pretty unlikely Hoffman wasn't aware something was going on.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The peace order application indicated the harassment started in Nov 2017 from what I recall. It's pretty clear based on Karlsson's response to the post on instagram (the one accusing his wife of taking pain killers leading to the stillbirth of their son) that harassment had been longstanding (he accused the poster of buying burner accounts at that time as I recall).

I see. It doesn't look like Karlsson's reaction indicates that they knew who the individual was at that point.

I'm trying to understand this timeline to see if Dorion knew this was going on or if he found out a little too late. Like, did he know that the Karlssons were being harassed but didn't know by who or did he know they were being harassed by Hoffman's fiancee? If it's the former and he didn't find out it was her until late into March or early April then it's a little bit tougher to fault him for not trading Hoffman. But if he knew back in, say, January then he deserves to be fired.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
A bunch of stuff leaking out suggests this wasn't something only a few people knew about. Seems the entire dressing room, and other wives were well aware of what was going on. If true, I'd find it pretty unlikely Hoffman wasn't aware something was going on.
It was probably some mutual trust between lovers.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
The whole thing about this is that it could actually be cleaned up pretty easily.

1) Someone needs to tell Hoffman's GF that, if she wants to continue living with an NHL player she needs to fess up to this and say that Hoff had nothing to do with it. All she needs to say is that "I did this on my own and Mike had nothing to do with it. I have some demons that I need to address. I'm getting the professional help that I need and I'm thankful that I have a loving partner who will help me through this difficult time. I'm deeply sorry to the Karlsson family for the unspeakable pain I've caused." Whether or not this is true it needs to be said. If it comes out that Hoffman was a part of this his NHL career could be over. He needs to convince her that this is the case.

2)Pierre Dorion makes a statement to the tune of "The Senators organization would just like to re-iterate our support for Erik and Melinda. Now that the truth has come out we're doing all we can to help the Karlsson family move on from the pain that has been unjustly inflicted upon them. Sadly, bad things DO happen to good people. We hope the Senators family can help with the healing process. We would also like to support Mike Hoffman, as his has been a difficult time for him as well. We hope that his partner can get the help that she needs. Mike has chosen to stand by a loved one in her time of need. While we categorically condemn the actions of Monika Caryk, we understand the importance of loved ones in addressing mental health concerns. This can't be easy on Mike and we are proud of his loyalty and commitment to his family."

3)Trade Mike Hoffman in August.

Reactions: JetsUK and Sensung

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
seems to me that hoffman was aware of what people THOUGHT was going on. was he aware that it was true? i dont know

Reactions: Ghetty Green

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
In order to go to the lengths of applying for a peace bond, evidence would have been collected. Had a summons been successfully served, both parties would have been in court and the evidence presented, without sufficient evidence, the Karlsson's open themselves up to litigation for defamation. If you don't think evidence exists, I really don't know what to tell you. We may not be privy to the evidence, and it may not be sufficient proof when it's all said and done, but it would have been enough for a very rich man's highly paid lawyer (Karlson's) to recommend going through this process. I suppose it's possible Karlsson has a terrible lawyer, but occam's razor suggests that this isn't a frivolous accusation and there is at least something there. The most obvious scenario is that in investigating the social media posts, a Norwich order was sought to compel the various social media platforms to provide IP and Mac Addresses of the accounts used to make the posts.

Hang on a second here. Norwich orders are part of the process for actions, not peace bonds. You use them to compel info from a 3rd party when you are suing someone. It has to be an exceptional circumstance. For example, if Melinda sued Monika for the intentional affliction of mental suffering, then brought an application for a Norwich order to receive the records from Twitter or Instagram, because Monika wouldn't turn over her Twitter info, that may be an appropriate situation. They can be used pre-action (before actually suing someone), but this is an even rarer exception than a typical Norwich order. Just think of implications if it was easy or even only moderately difficult to force a 3rd party to turn over information about someone else because you are considering bringing a claim against them, it would be ridiculous. You show that it is an exceptional circumstance and absolutely necessary, that a Norwich order is the only possible way to obtain the information that is crucial to the action.

It is highly unlikely they were able to obtain a Norwich order premised on the fact that they would be using the information to file a peace bond. Further, if they were granted the order, Caryk would have been notified that it had been granted and she would have been able to oppose it.

How else would they have been able to get the information (legally)? Perhaps via a police investigation. However, if this had been the case it seems likely the police would have been involved in the filing of the peace bond. The police were not involved in the filing of the peace bond, which adds another level of complexity to the situation.

Right now, I am having trouble understanding why Monika wasn't served with the documents. They have had over a month and actually were forced to delay a court date because they did not serve her. This seems to be a big piece of the puzzle that no one is talking about.

If they were serious about getting the peace bond they would have made sure to get her served with the documents. It's a relatively simple process, especially if you have money to spend. If the person is avoiding being served or you cannot physically locate them, there are alternatives that can be used such as emailing them or even sending the notice over social media.

I hope, when and if the Karlssons' make a statement, that this point is addressed. I would imagine time is running short and that sooner or late Monika will come out with a statement denying everything and slinging some mud Melinda's way. At that point, the ball will be back in the Karlssons' corner.

Last edited:

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Reactions: lancepitlick

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
"I did this on my own and Mike had nothing to do with it. I have some demons that I need to address. I'm getting the professional help that I need and I'm thankful that I have a loving partner who will help me through this difficult time. I'm deeply sorry to the Karlsson family for the unspeakable pain I've caused."
This type of response would require some amount of self-awareness and rational thought, neither of which have been on display thus far.

Reactions: amethyst

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
This type of response would require some amount of self-awareness and rational thought, neither of which have been on display thus far.

I hear ya. However if someone (hopefully Hoffman) explains to her that if she likes being with an NHL player, and all that comes with that, she needs to do this then if she has even a shred of sanity left she'll do this. His career is in the balance here.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
seems to me that hoffman was aware of what people THOUGHT was going on. was he aware that it was true? i dont know
Sorry, yes. When I said 'aware of what was going on' I meant that they were aware that Melinda had complaints about being harassed, and that Monkia was who she suspected as the source. Not that there was proof or everyone knew Monika was guilty or anything like that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hang on a second here. Norwich orders are part of the process for actions, not peace bonds. You use them to compel info from a 3rd party when you are suing someone. It has to be an exceptional circumstance. For example, if Melinda sued Monika for the intentional affliction of mental suffering, then brought an application for a Norwich order to receive the records from Twitter or Instagram, because Monika wouldn't turn over her Twitter info, that may be an appropriate situation. They can be used pre-action (before actually suing someone), but this is an even rarer exception than a typical Norwich order. Just think of implications if it was easy or even only moderately difficult to force a 3rd party to turn over information about someone else because you are considering bringing a claim against them, it would be ridiculous. You show that it is an exceptional circumstance and absolutely necessary, that a Norwich order is the only possible way to obtain the information that is crucial to the action.

It is highly unlikely they were able to obtain a Norwich order premised on the fact that they would be using the information to file a peace bond. Further, if they were granted the order, Caryk would have been notified that it had been granted and she would have been able to oppose it.

How else would they have been able to get the information (legally)? Perhaps via a police investigation. However, if this had been the case it seems likely the police would have been involved in the filing of the peace bond. The police were not involved in the filing of the peace bond, which adds another level of complexity to the situation.

Right now, I am having trouble understanding why Monika wasn't served with the documents. They have had over a month and actually were forced to delay a court date because they did not serve her. This seems to be a big piece of the puzzle that no one is talking about.

If they were serious about getting the peace bond they would have made sure to get her served with the documents. It's a relatively simple process, especially if you have money to spend. If the person is avoiding being served or you cannot physically locate them, there are alternatives that can be used such as emailing them or even sending the notice over social media.

I hope, when and if the Karlssons' make a statement, that this point is addressed. I would imagine time is running short and that sooner or late Monika will come out with a statement denying everything and slinging some mud Melinda's way. At that point, the ball will be back in the Karlssons' corner.

From the initial reports, my understanding is there is an open police investigation, so maybe that's how they got evidence (of whatever sort there is, though I didn't think the police would share that info with the victim). It's possible that litigation was the initial intent, thus they sought a Norwich order to determine who was the culprit (seems like that could potentially meet the stipulation of it being the only possible way to obtain crucial information to the action but honestly, I have no clue). I suggested a Norwich order because that's what Macramella had suggested, but I'll defer to you, as it's not my line of expertise after all. Overall point though is that they would have wanted evidence before seeking a peace bond. Perhaps a peace bond wasn't their initial intent, and they were initially going a different direction, but when they discovered who it was, they thought the peace bond would be a more suitable tool to achieve the desired results, or perhaps they had second thoughts about it and were already going down a different path.

In the end, there are a lot of unanswered questions here. Time will tell how this frigging soap opera ends.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
I see. It doesn't look like Karlsson's reaction indicates that they knew who the individual was at that point.

I'm trying to understand this timeline to see if Dorion knew this was going on or if he found out a little too late. Like, did he know that the Karlssons were being harassed but didn't know by who or did he know they were being harassed by Hoffman's fiancee? If it's the former and he didn't find out it was her until late into March or early April then it's a little bit tougher to fault him for not trading Hoffman. But if he knew back in, say, January then he deserves to be fired.
My understanding was that from Nov to Apr, it was some internet a-hole which everyone could see, but from April onward the evidence pointed to the a-hole sending the harassment from Hoffman's IP address (you'd need a warrant to prove the MAC I assume. "What's your MAC address?" doesn't come up in casual conversation, unless your tricky about "I need it so I can allow you internet access from my router.)

I do wonder if she has a pattern of being a jerk on social media, hence the other wives being unsurprised...

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
How in the world that it's been over a month since the bond was issued that it hasn't been served on Hoffman's GF? You have no idea where she is, then ask 150% Hoffman where she is since they live together.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
How in the world that it's been over a month since the bond was issued that it hasn't been served on Hoffman's GF? You have no idea where she is, then ask 150% Hoffman where she is since they live together.

Technically the bond hasn’t been issued.

They may have chosen not to serve it for many reasons. Perhaps expecting increased police involvement which would make it easier.

Also saying “hey teammate need your location to serve your gf with legal action” takes some diplomacy.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

It also appears as thought the K's were trying to keep everything very private, and it was, up until this week. I suspect that PD was made to understood the severity of things when EK asked him to trade Hoffman. Players get into issues with each other all of the time, you don't just jump to trading because people are angry amidst a terrible season, but when you get this kind of information, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that assurances were made.

Obviously you can't just send Hoffman home without cause (given Hoffman didn't actually DO anything), without a media explosion ruining what was clearly meant to stay private. The only thing you can do is make a private assurance that the player will be traded in the off season.

The only thing that matters, and of course we have zero information about it, is how EK and family were treated AFTER EK went to Dorion. Seeing as how EK has said nothing but a desire to stay with the Sens during the entire situation, we can assume that they were treated well enough by the organization, and this would almost assuredly include assurances made that the situation would be handled as far as a Hoffman trade.

Folks are jumping on anything and everything to blame management, as usual, but if EK had a problem with the way things were being handled you can bet he wouldn't be doubling and tripling down on wanting to stay this whole time. He would either say nothing, or be very vague. So many of you are so quick to say you'd do this and that from your laptop, with zero details of what happened, and what is actually happening behind the scenes. Get on PD for trades you don't like, but blaming him for things that we have no information about? It just clutters up the discussion.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
TDL was February 26. Maybe this came to a head shortly after that? Who knows?

Also, in Dorion's mind, it may have just been "Hoff's and Erik's wives don't get along. Maybe they can grow the **** up and act like adults so I don't have to trade one of them." I mean, seriously. If you just hear that two millennial women are *****ing at each other on social media, it seems like something that adults can solve on their own. I doubt Dorion knew the full extent of the bizarreness that appears to have occurred. At least, I'm really hoping he didn't.

That would be my guess. I mean, who could have predicted how bat@#$# crazy this would get? Wishing harm on someone's unborn child? That is seriously messed up. If you have two players on your team beefing with each other, that's fairly easy to solve. But their wives? That's a whole other matter, and the club probably felt like it was none of their business, that is until they learned just how badly it had gotten out of hand...

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The whole thing about this is that it could actually be cleaned up pretty easily.

1) Someone needs to tell Hoffman's GF that, if she wants to continue living with an NHL player she needs to fess up to this and say that Hoff had nothing to do with it. All she needs to say is that "I did this on my own and Mike had nothing to do with it. I have some demons that I need to address. I'm getting the professional help that I need and I'm thankful that I have a loving partner who will help me through this difficult time. I'm deeply sorry to the Karlsson family for the unspeakable pain I've caused." Whether or not this is true it needs to be said. If it comes out that Hoffman was a part of this his NHL career could be over. He needs to convince her that this is the case.

2)Pierre Dorion makes a statement to the tune of "The Senators organization would just like to re-iterate our support for Erik and Melinda. Now that the truth has come out we're doing all we can to help the Karlsson family move on from the pain that has been unjustly inflicted upon them. Sadly, bad things DO happen to good people. We hope the Senators family can help with the healing process. We would also like to support Mike Hoffman, as his has been a difficult time for him as well. We hope that his partner can get the help that she needs. Mike has chosen to stand by a loved one in her time of need. While we categorically condemn the actions of Monika Caryk, we understand the importance of loved ones in addressing mental health concerns. This can't be easy on Mike and we are proud of his loyalty and commitment to his family."

3)Trade Mike Hoffman in August.

If the allegations are true then your first point won't work. Given what we know thus far there is pretty strong evidence that Hoffman's girlfriend likely has a cluster b personality disorder. If that is the case then there is very little chance that she would willingly feel guilt and acknowledge responsibility and remorse for her actions. If she does in fact have a cluster b personality disorder then it likely has not been treated and she would need a fair amount of psychological intervention before she could even understand her wrongdoings.

This may also explain why Hoffman is defending her. The type of people who are drawn to and stay in a relationship with someone with a cluster b personality disorder tend to be people who have psychological issues that they haven't worked through. For example some research has suggested that codependents are drawn to people with narcissistic personality disorder. Also there is some research that people with narcissistic personality disorder and borderline personality disorder are drawn to each other. Hoffman has been with this woman for 10 years. If she actually did this then Hoffman would have been very well aware of all kinds of other red flags and destructive behaviors from her. Maybe he rationalized the behavior or is in denial of it. Either way this issue is a lot deeper and more complex then someone just making a mistake and crossing a line and needing to be held accountable for their actions.

As for the second point there is some evidence that suggests this has been going on since November. Dorion can't save face with some public statement now. It looks like negligence or willful blindness on the ownership and management group to allow something like this for continue as long as it has.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
This will get front page on main stream media too. Cyber bullying is starting to get huge press now and for good reason. We should even expect a statement from the police shortly.
I am a Canadian Living in Denmark, and it's even in the main stream media here.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
How long would it take to resolve this? I mean if they've known since April then they should have done some investigations by now.

I don't think hoffman can be traded until this is resolved. why would any team take him without knowing if these allegations are true or not?

So far based on what I've read, hoffman's gf displayed this kind of behavior in public, the karlsson's wouldn't accuse someone of something like this without having some concrete evidence because otherwise they could get sued for defamation so what's the hold up?

Even if hoffman gets traded without this being resolved this will still be on everyone's mind and in the news so I don't think that can be considered a solution. It won't go away.

Best case scenario is that she is guilty, hoffman dumps her, he still get's traded but we can at least get decent value instead of trash. Of course in this scenario karlsson would be staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad