News Article: Mike Hoffman's girlfriend allegedly behind Karlsson Harrassment. Update June15: Hoffman & gf respond

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators' started by Engineer, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Micklebot

Micklebot Moderator

Yeah, your right. Think of Vegas' needs. we could/should trade Karlsson to VGK to make sure they build on what they've accomplished.

2. dzingelalltheway

dzingelalltheway Let's win it all -MR

Professor
    Screw it. Let's go full tire fire. Buy out Karlsson when the buyout window opens tomorrow, thereby getting us no return whatsoever AND hamstringing us even more from a budgetary perspective.

BondraTime likes this.
  3. Another Mr Lizard

Another Mr Lizard Registered User

The Canadian Tire Fire Center (CTFC) has a certain ring to it...

4. MakeOttawaGreatAgain

MakeOttawaGreatAgain Illest guy in town!

I have an inside source that says Chris Neil downloaded Melnyk's liver.

bert likes this.
  5. BondraTime

BondraTime Registered User

I kind of want that to happen for the hilarity of it. Last minute Vince McMahon scene by Melnyk before selling.

6. Alex1234

Alex1234 Registered User

What a mess of a franchise:facepalm:

Wonder what MVP thinks of all of this...:baghead:

7. Variable26

Variable26 Global Matador

Hockey Announcer
    the kind of guy that knows if he dumps here he loses $15M

8. drewjenks

drewjenks Registered User

What evidence?

9. Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle wee & free

If it's proven she sent all those texts and was harassing the Karlssons, I'm sure that would be enough for a judge to severely limit any monetary gains during a breakup. I mean, she is actively damaging his career at this point...how can anyone justify giving her a pile of money in a settlement?

10. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Earn'em and Burn'em

Sign Voynov to an extensive contract and immediately place him in a leadership position perhaps even Captain role, is one of the many things I could think of, there's a whole world of deplorable illegal individual and group acts which I am now considering due to recent events.

11. Micklebot

Micklebot Moderator

In order to go to the lengths of applying for a peace bond, evidence would have been collected. Had a summons been successfully served, both parties would have been in court and the evidence presented, without sufficient evidence, the Karlsson's open themselves up to litigation for defamation. If you don't think evidence exists, I really don't know what to tell you. We may not be privy to the evidence, and it may not be sufficient proof when it's all said and done, but it would have been enough for a very rich man's highly paid lawyer (Karlson's) to recommend going through this process. I suppose it's possible Karlsson has a terrible lawyer, but occam's razor suggests that this isn't a frivolous accusation and there is at least something there. The most obvious scenario is that in investigating the social media posts, a Norwich order was sought to compel the various social media platforms to provide IP and Mac Addresses of the accounts used to make the posts.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  12. armani

armani Guy Likes

The kind that Karlssons collected and their lawyers thought as legit to go through this legal process. A peace bond is no joke.

As long as the Karlssons didn't use the same forensic team that Melnyk used (Cooke forensics or the Ukranian cyber criminals that wiped out Travis Yost's posts)..they must have proof that is not public info atm.

13. Larionov

Larionov Registered User

I know it's an easy hit to blame the Senators front office for this, but when you think about it what were they supposed to do? Monitor the social media activity of all the wives and girlfriends 24/7? The club only found out about the grisly details of this a couple of months ago (about at the end of the regular season, it seems.) Had they found out in February, you can bet that Hoffman would have been shipped out at or before the deadline.

When they did find out in April, what were they supposed to do exactly? Speaking publicly about it violates the Karlsson's privacy, so that was out. All they can do is what they did - work with the NHL, let the legal process play out, and explore their options for trading Hoffman out of town at the draft. It was a horrible situation, no question, but the options for the club were pretty limited, and again this was no fault of theirs.

BTW, this notion that Hoffman's trade value has taken a huge hit is overblown. He is a proven goal scorer on a very reasonable contract for the next two years. Any team that is in need of a scoring winger (Hello, Edmonton!) is still going to be interested. As others have pointed out, Dany Heatley and Craig MacTavish were both employed in this league after vehicular manslaughter. Hoffman is going to get through this - he just shouldn't expect the wives and girlfriends on his new team to throw a potluck for his girlfriend, if in fact they are still together by then...

senators101, pzeeman and gab6511 like this.
  14. dzingelalltheway

dzingelalltheway Let's win it all -MR

Professor
    I don't think it's a stretch to suggest the toxic atmosphere surrounding the team probably contributed to this in some way. No, it's not fair to point the finger squarely at the organization. But it likely played a part.

Nac Mac Feegle likes this.
  15. R2010

R2010 Registered User

Duthie just said that the entire dressing room knew this was going on between the Karlsson's and Hoffman's for two months during the season.

That's a brutal indictment of Dorion for not having dealt with this.

branch and Tuna99 like this.
  16. slamigo

slamigo Skate or Die!

TDL was February 26. Maybe this came to a head shortly after that? Who knows?

Also, in Dorion's mind, it may have just been "Hoff's and Erik's wives don't get along. Maybe they can grow the **** up and act like adults so I don't have to trade one of them." I mean, seriously. If you just hear that two millennial women are *****ing at each other on social media, it seems like something that adults can solve on their own. I doubt Dorion knew the full extent of the bizarreness that appears to have occurred. At least, I'm really hoping he didn't.

Larionov, jules6565 and pzeeman like this.
  17. Gil Gunderson

Gil Gunderson Registered User

If it was anytime before the deadline, it's on Dorion.

**** the value, you can't let this drag on. Look at the mess this organization is in now.

18. slamigo

slamigo Skate or Die!

I could literally post this old YouTube clip into about 8 different threads and it would be on point.

19. Tighthead

Tighthead Registered User

It’s his job to know.

20. Pangu

Pangu Registered User

It might not be the Sens organization fault, but from what we have heard the organization probably could have done a lot more:

(1) The organization needed to establish a more professional environment for their players to work in. Everyone in the organization - including the players' wives - should have understood that the Ottawa Senators are an organization with high professional standards. In any good organization, everyone should expect a safe, harassment-free environment to do their job. It is clear that this organization did not stress that fact enough and that personalities believe they were entitled to disrespect folks who they were working with. We have seen that in the last year from the owner all the way down to player's wives. The Assit. GM thing speaks to that point as well.

(2) Management and/or the coaching staff should have had a good enough relationship with the players to have been aware of the problems facing the Karlssons. Its clear from Hammond and Turris' significant others that Hoffman's wife has been a problem since at least the time when they left. The team absolutely should have a culture where problems between players get handled in a manner that is the least disruptive for the team. The culture should have encouraged Karlsson to talk to management about how he was been receiving harassing texts and/or how his wife has been told unacceptable things from another player's wife.

(3) Once management found out that there star player (who is worth tens of millions of dollars to the team) was being harassed, they should have done a full investigation into the matter. They should have been on top of the matter.

(4) After investigating the matter, they should have ensured that it was resolved. If they discovered the problem after a few harassing comments, then this might have been resolved by speaking to the fiance about the importance of maintaining a professional workplace. If it was after things had gone too far, it could have been resolved by trading Hoffman for a bag of pucks.

Now maybe this was just one bad apple who went to town after the trade deadline when the organization had almost no recourse. However, what we do know suggests a pattern of misbehaviour that was not sufficiently addressed both with this one harasser as well as with other folks that have not been professional in their conduct.

The final point I would make is that dysfunctional organizations have a lot more problems than good organizations. Good organizations have just as many crazy people and crazy problems, but those things get resolved. In bad organizations, the crazy people are enabled and even minor problems spiral out of control. The Sens look like a bad organization at this point.

Nac Mac Feegle likes this.
  21. BondraTime

Send the guy home if the deadline has passed. Why keep him in the dressing room if it was known for 2 months

22. BankStreetParade

BankStreetParade Registered User

Does anyone have a timeline of all the tweets? And a timeline of when the dots were connected that all the different accounts were the same person?

Karlsson's son was stillborn on March 19. Their season ended on April 7th. If the harassment occurred around the time of the death of their son then that would put this timeline well after the trade deadline and with only a couple of weeks left in the season. How long after the tweets about their son did the Karlssons wait to hire someone to investigate and how long did it take the investigators to identify someone?

I feel like there's so much information missing. Maybe the other players' wives/girlfriends knew there was a dislike between Karlsson's wife and Hoffman's fiancee but it sounds like things didn't get to this weird point until well into late March and early April at which point you're talking about the season being nearly over and the GM having a whole summer to sort through the mess of it.

Does anyone have a more accurate timeline for this?

23. BondraTime

It started in November 2017...

24. MaxTheLimit

MaxTheLimit Hockey ruins all my personal relationships

It seems like it has been much longer than that. I posted a couple tweets from Marlee Hammond and Julie Turris earlier in this thread which suggests that this has been going on for a lot longer.

25. BondraTime

So, it only took....14 hours for us to hear that we will be on the end of more bad news. Is that a new record?

branch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.