Value of: Mike Hoffman

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Two ifs, but basing off the apparent ask for Zuccarello and the notion that the Panthers are clearing space for Panarin and Bobrovsky.

Two years age difference and Zuccarello is a UFA are the key differences imo.

If Hoffman was available, would a second and a prospect be enough? Would it be enough coming from Montreal?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Two ifs, but basing off the apparent ask for Zuccarello and the notion that the Panthers are clearing space for Panarin and Bobrovsky.

If Hoffman was available, would a second and a prospect be enough? Would it be enough coming from Montreal?

The age and contract difference make a world of difference in value

Think about what Detroit got for Tatar last year based on the fact he had a lot of term still

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I’d offer a 1st for him and call it a day. Good return on FLA investment

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Its REALLY hard to tell with him imo due to his previous severe baggage. If a team feels that previous issue is still a redflag then he simply wont have a lot of suitors, which is why we saw him moved for very cheap twice last offseason.

If you think he is past that then he would be worth a good bit more as he is a very talented player on a cheap deal.

It also is really hard to tell what FLA will be looking for. Guys like him usually go for futures due to their contract status, which we could get pretty close to an estimate for but if they want an actual player it gets tougher.

This may be one of those things where only time will tell.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
If we're trading Hoffman ideally would want a top 4 stay at home Dman coming back. Some small adds to make it work.

What are your offers!

Could offer potential in Juulsen, but his eye/cheekbone injury is a serious concern at the moment. They're waiting for swelling to subside before they can check to see if there's long term damage to vision. Were he healthy, he's got top 4 stay-at-home written all over him. Plus he skates well.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Better be an elite prospect then?
But no, it would not be enough.

Would you trade Gallagher with 1.2 years left for a 2nd and prospect?

Gallagher makes $1.5 million less. That plays a part in any negotiation. If both were to come up as available, I think Gallagher gets more because of that and the level of respect he has around the league.

The age and contract difference make a world of difference in value

Think about what Detroit got for Tatar last year based on the fact he had a lot of term still

Hoffman has a year on Tatar. If the age gap between Zuc and him has an impact, then the gap between him and Tatar would, wouldn't it?

There are two prevailing theories this time of year. Expiring contract players get more because there's not commitment beyond the present. Contracts with term get more because you are getting commitment. This place, like many others, seems to waffle on which one is most true.

For me, with the space Montreal has, I'd pay a little more to get that commitment. If Florida wanted a first, the prospect would take a dip (imo). And vice versa.

1st and a b prospect like Ikonen or Ylonen.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I like the proposal someone made of straight up Hoffman for Tyson Barrie. Fits both teams needs IMO.

Panthers need a more defensive minded guy, but despite that I think value is close.

If Panthers looking for futures, I definitely think it starts with a 1st rounder though and he's most certainly worth it especially with the extra year on his contract.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Can someone tell me why Colorado, one of the worst defensive teams in the league, would trade their best d-man midseason for a 26 year old forward that is 1.5 years from free agency?

Is this a move to get to the Cup in the next 2 years? Because this just makes a horrible defense even worse.

Would there be a move for a better D-man on the horizon for Colorado??

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Gallagher makes $1.5 million less. That plays a part in any negotiation. If both were to come up as available, I think Gallagher gets more because of that and the level of respect he has around the league.

Hoffman has a year on Tatar. If the age gap between Zuc and him has an impact, then the gap between him and Tatar would, wouldn't it?

There are two prevailing theories this time of year. Expiring contract players get more because there's not commitment beyond the present. Contracts with term get more because you are getting commitment. This place, like many others, seems to waffle on which one is most true.

For me, with the space Montreal has, I'd pay a little more to get that commitment. If Florida wanted a first, the prospect would take a dip (imo). And vice versa.

Well, like everything, context is important

Hoffman is still in an area of his life where he could be considered to be "prime aged" or just on the downturn of it, and has 1 more year on his deal. He will be 30 when it expires and should still be producing at a nice clip, assuming his deployment and usage is reasonable and he doesn't get traded to a team that he doesn't fit in with.

Zuccarello is 31, will be 32 at the start of next season, and is comfortably exiting his peak. Still an excellent player and I wouldn't be shocked if his play held up longer than your average NHLer. That being said, he has had some really critical injuries to his head including a fractured skull(!) so I might not be too eager to sign him this summer if I'm an NHL GM.

You're right - his value could be inflated because a team is only committing to one good run at the playoffs with him. No commitment beyond a couple of months. No worry about injury history, personality, etc. because the team can choose to move on from him almost immediately.

I think that based on the last few years worth of trades, guys who are PURE rentals, like Zuccarello, command less than guys with term. But of course term isn't always a good thing. Just ask Leafs fans about Zaitsev, Oilers fans about Lucic, or me about Abdelkader.

I would assume based on Hoffman's age and production and the fact he has another year makes him more valuable than Zuccarello right now hands down. I didn't even consider it a point worth typing this many words about.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Can someone tell me why Colorado, one of the worst defensive teams in the league, would trade their best d-man midseason for a 26 year old forward that is 1.5 years from free agency?

Is this a move to get to the Cup in the next 2 years? Because this just makes a horrible defense even worse.

To answer your question, I don't believe that Colorado would trade Barrie for Hoffman. Hoffman can score goals, but Barrie has been one of the better offensively producing D-Men in the NHL the past few years. I think he holds more value, even taking into consideration his deficiencies.

But trading Barrie would likely not hurt Colorado defensively, as he is not particularly strong in his own end. He is also only signed through 2019-2020 and is represented by Newport, with whom Colorado has a notoriously rocky negotiating relationship. So Colorado will need to make a decision on his future with the organization at some point soon.

Colorado also is fairly strong on the right side of their defense, with Erik Johnson signed long-term and with Cale Makar likely playing in the NHL next year as an offensively-minded D-man. Colorado also has a couple of RHD prospects that they are fairly high on as well, in Conor Timmins and Nicolas Meloche, in their pipeline.

Regarding Colorado's defense, their defensive game seems to have improved dramatically, taking into account their advanced stats. If anything, their recent slide seems more attributable to some below-average goaltending and non-existent secondary scoring.

Reactions: Halak Ness Monster

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017

Makar seems to be a lock in most Avs fans eyes to be in a top 4 role next year(know a few irl and have seen a few posts on here)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Well for one, the bolded isn't true at all. 16 teams in the league give up more shots per game then the Avs. We're 12th in the league for Corsi at 5 on 5 at 50.6%, and we start 54.5% of our shifts in the offensive zone which ranks 4th in the league(Means our team is good at getting the puck out of our zone and playing in the offensive zone).

We've also given up just 1104 scoring chances against this season, only 2 teams in the league have given up less(Boston and Minnesota). And we've given up just 477 High Danger chances against, again it ranks Top 10 in the league, more then 20 teams have given up more of those chances.

Source: Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Avs are actually one of the stronger defensive teams this year with a pretty average level D corpse. Our entire issues defensively have stemmed from a Penalty Kill that has struggled, and a Goaltending Duo that has also struggled a bunch.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC

Not what the Panthers are looking for.

Trading Hoffman for picks and/or prospect and then sign Panarin don't make sense.

If one of our top guy is traded, we need a top 4 D in return. Of course, picks and/or prospects could be involved too

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Ya but I was asking if youd trade Gallagher for a 2nd a prospect? If you dont think Hoffman could return a mid to late 1st at minimum then you're undervaluing him post wife vs wife drama which still hasn't been proven as well iirc. 2 playoff runs with a 30ish goal scorer, there would be 5-6 teams interested and willing to pay a 1st and prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad