Mike Grenzy at Clarkson

Status
Not open for further replies.

SabresGuy*

I was wondering how Mike Grenzy has been progressing with Clarkson. If anyone can fill me in on this kid, please respond. Does he have a shot at the pros? Again, skills and weaknesses. Mike is an old friend of mine, so I am curious how he is turning out. Please be completely honest with your analysis. Thanks!

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
SabresGuy said:
I was wondering how Mike Grenzy has been progressing with Clarkson. If anyone can fill me in on this kid, please respond. Does he have a shot at the pros? Again, skills and weaknesses. Mike is an old friend of mine, so I am curious how he is turning out. Please be completely honest with your analysis. Thanks!

I really wasn't impressed with Grenzy during the beginning of they year at all. I thought he was overrated even for a 9th round pick. Towards the end of the year his play picked up and he was one of the best players in the ECAC tourney. His biggest problem is probably mental mistakes, making the wrong plays at the wrong time (sometimes resulting in turnovers this past season, the whole Clarkson squad had trouble with that and giving up breakways this past year). He's strong along the boards, using his size well. He's an average puckhandler for a big man, although nothing in comparison to Nickerson (As expected I suppose). His passing is alright, nothing special there though (not tape to tape but in the right area usually). Didn't see him take too many shots really at all, maybe he had some trouble getting it off quickly, not sure. All in all when he played sometimes you didn't even notice him this season. As for potential, he might never be an NHL player. That said he is a bigger guy and he made major strides at the end of the year. Next year should be very telling about his future. If he picks his game up another notch and consistently displays what he showed in the ECAC tourney (ECAC all tournament team) last year he might turn some heads in Chicago and increase his stock.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
AJ1982 said:
I really wasn't impressed with Grenzy during the beginning of they year at all. I thought he was overrated even for a 9th round pick. Towards the end of the year his play picked up and he was one of the best players in the ECAC tourney. His biggest problem is probably mental mistakes, making the wrong plays at the wrong time (sometimes resulting in turnovers this past season, the whole Clarkson squad had trouble with that and giving up breakways this past year). He's strong along the boards, using his size well. He's an average puckhandler for a big man, although nothing in comparison to Nickerson (As expected I suppose). His passing is alright, nothing special there though (not tape to tape but in the right area usually). Didn't see him take too many shots really at all, maybe he had some trouble getting it off quickly, not sure. All in all when he played sometimes you didn't even notice him this season. As for potential, he might never be an NHL player. That said he is a bigger guy and he made major strides at the end of the year. Next year should be very telling about his future. If he picks his game up another notch and consistently displays what he showed in the ECAC tourney (ECAC all tournament team) last year he might turn some heads in Chicago and increase his stock.

AJ: Excellent summary. I pretty much agree with everything you said. With some key losses for Clarkson going into the upcoming season (namely of Nickerson), I expect Grenzy's role to expand (and hopefully some overall improvement in his play). BTW, this Weller kid coming in looks good for the Golden Knights.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Oilers Chick said:
AJ: Excellent summary. I pretty much agree with everything you said. With some key losses for Clarkson going into the upcoming season (namely of Nickerson), I expect Grenzy's role to expand (and hopefully some overall improvement in his play). BTW, this Weller kid coming in looks good for the Golden Knights.

Yes, definitely! Grenzy will get his chance to shine next year.

Wellar is an acquaintance of mine actually. I played against him a few years back in high school, and occasionally see him playing pond hockey during the winter because he is from an town right next to my hometown. I was NOT impressed with him 3 years ago but his game has improved dramatically, playing for Jim Salfi (an old coach of mine) at the CD selects can really improve your game. He really has a chance to be a great d-1 player and possibly something at the pro level. I wouldn't be shocked to see him get about 15-25 points next year, while being a feisty player who is defensively reliable. That said, I'm hoping he lights it up and puts up a point a game. I know Roll is going for a more wide open game. Wellar will probably be a second line player behind Latulippe, Faulkner and Blight.

SabresGuy*

Can we have names on this one? Were these comments in a derogatory tone or simply stating an opinion? I mean, he may have been a weaker member of the team, but getting on the team is pretty competitive. Agree?

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
SabresGuy said:
Can we have names on this one? Were these comments in a derogatory tone or simply stating an opinion? I mean, he may have been a weaker member of the team, but getting on the team is pretty competitive. Agree?

I guess I don't understand what you mean either. Names of who?? My comments were just an analysis, that's all. Getting on Clarkson's team, or any ecac team for that matter, means at the least you were a good highschool or lower junior (not major) player. Only the best of the best will make the NHL or even the AHL right? I guess I just don't follow you.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Oilers Chick said:
Maybe Roll could pair Weller up with Mike Sullivan. As much as I liked Sullivan this past season, he's another player I'd like to see step things up a bit.

Yea, Sullivan came away with almost half a point per game as a freshman, not bad at all. That's about what Blight accomplished as a freshman and way better than Faulkner at that age. He's got decent size and place a fairly rough and tumble game, which is nice to watch. It wouldn't be a bad move to put Weller on a line with him and possibly Max Kolu, who is a very highly skilled player and fast too. The guy who really needs to have a good year next year is Genovy. He is big and has decent skills, but has yet to put it all together for us on the offensive side of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad