Mike Green

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
Due to my lack of talent analysis, I cannot make a point prediction, but I'm fairly certain he will make the Caps this year. He will probably work his way up from the third pairing, unless he absolutely wows in camp and preseason games. He'll most likely get some time on the PP increasing over the course of the season as he gets used to that role. He was very stellar (from my point of view) for Hershey duing the AHL playoffs, many have written in the press about him being a seasoned vet trapped in a 20 year old's body. Brendan Witt said something along the lines of him having ice water in his veins.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Poolies should take him in a keeper, but don't expect extraordinary production for the first year. He's going to have a real solid career, though. He'll be a top-six defenseman on the Caps this year.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
I'd guess 20-25Pts but the Caps are weak offensivly from the backend so he could end up getting some pp time which could increase the totals.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
For him to be that good as a 20 year old rookie defenseman in the AHL this past season is very impressive.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
They signed Pothier to eat up the lion's share of the PP QB duties, and I'd expect him to play there a ton early in the year. By year's end, Green might have moved his way into the mix, but a gradual early learning curve will be a factor in his overall points in year one of his NHL career.

Note that both Pothier and Green are right-handed shots. PP time for Green will be decidedly of the second-unit variety until late in the season.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Poolies should take him in a keeper, but don't expect extraordinary production for the first year. He's going to have a real solid career, though. He'll be a top-six defenseman on the Caps this year.
Who would you say that he reminds you of? IMO he's a little like Cote. Just a solid overall game and great sense in all zones.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
He's solid in all facets, from skating through vision, to passing, positional play, hitting, leadership, and poise. He's thought of mainly as a mobile guy, but his defensive play is probably a touch underrated. He's a two-way guy, who has been a captain of his team in the past. Green had a very, very strong rookie year in the AHL, and played regularly en route to the Bears' league title.

I don't know if he's #1 material, but it doesn't seem a stretch at this point to think he could be a #2 someday. He should be a lock to develop into at least a top-four defenseman, and may be there by season's end on a Capitals blueline that is not terribly deep. He's likely to become a PP quarterback, given time, and has a high panic threshold.

Considering where he was picked, a very nice pick. The only thing he doesn't have is towering size, at roughly 6' 1" and 200 pounds, and that's probably why he slipped at the draft, along with playing for a struggling Blades team.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Yeah I actually like him alot in that draft but I don't think that anyone noticed him playing for that piss poor team. I would have thought that he would have stood out but I guess not.

X-SHARKIE

He amazed me in the AHL finals, I think you're talking about a legit #2 defenseman on a good team in this league. He's one of the smartest defenseman prospects in the game, and his skating is superb. I love his shot from the point and he moves the puck well also. He seems to have a great understanding of both ends of the ice, great hockey sense, on top of the stocky frame that can be surprisingly strong, along with great skating and puck movement.

He's coming fast. Real gem from the 04 draft.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
From what I saw both in person at Hershey and in following them online, that's about how I see it too. I'm hesitant to be too much of a homer in trying to predict his upside, but he looks very, very strong and his learning curve appears to have been virtually non-existent at the AHL level, though it helped that he was playing with five other vets on the Hershey blueline from day one. He was the lone defenseman the Capitals and Bears broke into the pros in 2005-06.

He's going to be a good one, and is probably going to become the best defenseman of any that Washington currently has in its system. Conservatively, he's going to be a top-four player, and a #2 someday isn't a huge stretch.

X-SHARKIE

From what I saw both in person at Hershey and in following them online, that's about how I see it too. I'm hesitant to be too much of a homer in trying to predict his upside, but he looks very, very strong and his learning curve appears to have been virtually non-existent at the AHL level, though it helped that he was playing with five other vets on the Hershey blueline from day one. He was the lone defenseman the Capitals and Bears broke into the pros in 2005-06.

He's going to be a good one, and is probably going to become the best defenseman of any that Washington currently has in its system. Conservatively, he's going to be a top-four player, and a #2 someday isn't a huge stretch.

Not homerish at all, this kid is the next Dan Hamhuis. He's the real deal both ways.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
My opinion about Green is consistent with comments by Drake and others about his upside, style, etc. Having watched him play during the season (Hershey and Washington) plus his performance in the AHL playoffs, I am looking forward to seeing him play the full season in Washington in 06-07. I agree with Drake's comments about Pothier being ahead of Green on the PP depth chart, but I do see Green getting secondary PP minutes this season.

Points are hard to project, especially with this Caps blueline and knowing Green will be making the transition to full time NHL minutes as the season progresses. Hmmm, total guess for first complete NHL season, somewhere around 25 points.

hbears341

Aug 1, 2006
PA
Greenie will definitely make the big club this year. The way he stepped up his game towards the end of last season and during the cup run was just incredible. I could see him getting 30+ Pts in his first season in the nations capital. :bow:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Greenie will definitely make the big club this year. The way he stepped up his game towards the end of last season and during the cup run was just incredible. I could see him getting 30+ Pts in his first season in the nations capital. :bow:

hmm, when I typed around 25, I thought about typing 30, but I was trying to put things into perspective in terms of ice time, point production by d-men last season, etc. Of course, I am terrible at predicting production :)

Here are the rookie d-men that scored 20 or more points in the NHL last season with games played and total points:

Phaneuf, 82, 49
Meszaros, 82, 39
Ballard, 82, 39
Whitney, 68, 38
Beauchemin, 72, 36
Campoli, 80, 34
Seabrook, 69, 32
Foster, 58, 28
Meyer, 57, 27
Tyutin, 77, 25
Michalek, 82, 24
Wideman, 67, 24
Keith, 81, 21

I hate Jon Sim

Jul 29, 2006
Well a skilled player will stick out on the Capitals like a Hawks fan in the United Center but he will be playing for the Capitals and I think about 30 points and also props to Kieth and Seabrook Hawks Pride

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad