Proposal: Mike Green to Tampa Bay

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I know the Lightning are in a bit of a no-man's-land, and haven't made up their minds on buyer/seller, but I found this interesting (emphasis mine):

http://www.tsn.ca/surging-lightning-could-strike-before-deadline-1.679273

"In the meantime, Ryan Callahan's second hip surgery means he's out for the regular season, but his absence also has opened up an extra $5.8 million under the cap if Tampa Bay needs it. The only way I see that being the case is if the Lightning somehow find their unicorn: a legit, top-four defenseman who signed past this season."

Tampa needs both a defenseman and cap help. Detroit needs picks. How about:

To Tampa Bay: Mike Green
To Detroit: The cap dump of Tampa's choice, a 2nd rounder in 2017, and 1st and 3rd rounders in 2018

It's a steep price for the Lightning, but if they're gonna buy, it both adds a significant piece now, and (depending on the player chosen) frees up a lot of cap space for decisions this summer.

It might need some tinkering to even it out, but whaddya think?

ClappysFromTheHashys

Feb 15, 2017
I know the Lightning are in a bit of a no-man's-land, and haven't made up their minds on buyer/seller, but I found this interesting (emphasis mine):

"In the meantime, Ryan Callahan's second hip surgery means he's out for the regular season, but his absence also has opened up an extra $5.8 million under the cap if Tampa Bay needs it. The only way I see that being the case is if the Lightning somehow find their unicorn: a legit, top-four defenseman who signed past this season."

To Detroit: The cap dump of Tampa's choice, a 2nd rounder in 2017, and 1st and 3rd rounders in 2018

It's a steep price for the Lightning, but if they're gonna buy, it both adds a significant piece now, and (depending on the player chosen) frees up a lot of cap space for decisions this summer.

Depends on who exactly the cap dump is. Garrison?

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Absolutely no interest in Green at that price. That is outrageous. Garrison and Filppula would be the only "cap dumps" we could send, and I doubt TB treats them as dumps. They both still hold value. Even if TB could deal both @ 50% retention, they clear up $5M. Garrison and Flip at under 3 each do not need to be packaged with picks to move.

Now if you want to take Callahan? I'll give you all that plus more.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

The cap dump of our choice? Ok Callahan it is.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Yeah it'd have to be Callahan or we'd just be making our cap situation worse and paying to do so.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Cap issues aside I do think it's a good fit...Green to TB would definitely not shock me.

ClappysFromTheHashys

Feb 15, 2017
Cap issues aside I do think it's a good fit...Green to TB would definitely not shock me.

Maybe something with DET retaining 25% and taking on Garrison. Of course that comes with a steep price. Probably a 1st, one of those many top prospects, and a mid round pick.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Maybe something with DET retaining 25% and taking on Garrison. Of course that comes with a steep price. Probably a 1st, one of those many top prospects, and a mid round pick.

So we trade a 2nd pair LD for a 2nd pair RD, with retention contract is similar, and get to add a 1st, a prospect and a mid round pick? Sign me up.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Ridiculous price.

The only cap dump worth losing assets for is Callahan and he's on the IR.

Shattenkirk will be a UFA this offseason MOD, and he's an even better fit than Green.

Last edited by a moderator:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Absolutely no interest in Green at that price. That is outrageous. Garrison and Filppula would be the only "cap dumps" we could send, and I doubt TB treats them as dumps. They both still hold value. Even if TB could deal both @ 50% retention, they clear up $5M. Garrison and Flip at under 3 each do not need to be packaged with picks to move.

Now if you want to take Callahan? I'll give you all that plus more.
Woof. Green for Callahan, a 1st in 2017, and a 1st and 3rd in 2018 then?

ClappysFromTheHashys

Feb 15, 2017
Ridiculous price.

The only cap dump worth losing assets for is Callahan and he's on the IR.

Shattenkirk will be a UFA this offseasonMOD, and he's an even better fit than Green.

Shattenkirk won't be in TBs price range. Green at 25% retained is insane value.

bov

Nov 13, 2010

My guess would be a guy like Sustr plus a high pick and/or prospect (Not suggesting Sustr as the core piece, folks) if we're getting a RHD, especially due to the emergence of Jake Dotchin recently. Garrison might get moved, but I don't necessarily think it would have to be Detroit taking him back as a cap dump in a deal like this.

Unless their play falls off the face of the earth in the coming months, I wouldn't be too worried about still having guys like Filppula/Garrison on the books after the season if it came down to it. They still, imo, hold enough value to be traded in the offseason without the team being financially screwed.

ClappysFromTheHashys

Feb 15, 2017
My guess would be a guy like Sustr plus a high pick and/or prospect (Not suggesting Sustr as the core piece, folks) if we're getting a RHD, especially due to the emergence of Jake Dotchin recently. Garrison might get moved, but I don't necessarily think it would have to be Detroit taking him back as a cap dump in a deal like this.

Unless their play falls off the face of the earth in the coming months, I wouldn't be too worried about still having guys like Filppula/Garrison on the books after the season if it came down to it. They still, imo, hold enough value to be traded in the offseason without the team being financially screwed.

DET would have no interest in Sustr. They have enough fringe 3rd pair D.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Shattenkirk won't be in TBs price range. Green at 25% retained is insane value.

A little more than 1 year at 4.5 million of Green is not worth all of those assets, and if we miss the playoffs which is the most likely outcome it would be a disaster.

Yzerman can likely sign Shattenkirk for below market value because of no state income tax, but even if he were to sign for 6 million, it would be a better investment. If he can't, that's fine too. I'll take my chances looking elsewhere for help beyond a one year bandaid. /thread

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
here is the rule you must follow if you want Green

MIke Green with 50% salary retained is worth a 1st AND a good prospect

the very second a cap dump comes back, the price goes UP not down

garrison is a cap dump, therefore the price goes up

not fair, not a problem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad