Confirmed with Link: Mike Green re-signs, 2 years 5.375m per season

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'm neither for or against this signing, just kind of meh to me, I guess!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not a fan. He put up points, but as he was counted on to be a more rounded D, his defensive shortcomings became steadily more apparent. If we just pare him with Kronwall and start them in the offensive zone 70% of the time, it wouldn't be so bad, I guess.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
lets hope he has a good first half of the season and then gets shipped...this time for good

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Unlike Vanek, at least he can probably get us something decent at the trade deadline.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Should be a good mentor for Hronek, Cholo and Hicketts in terms of picking up some pointers on the offensive side of the game.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Eh, I've already said I'm not a fan of the deal. It's not a huge deal so I'm not going to complain over and over again. He's a 35 point dman who isn't very well rounded. Not sure why we need him given we are one of the worst teams in the league. Given how noises were made about how he could get more term on the open market I'm pretty much expecting a NMC/NTC. Greenie showed loyalty and Holland is gonna return that by making the contact immovable unless it is on Green's terms. Hope I'm wrong but that's what I'm expecting based on what I've heard regarding negotiations.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Oh come on.

Apparently the run of Ken Holland, superstar rebuilding GM,was short-lived.

Yes because two and one year deals are crushing a long-term rebuild... :ha:

They are not going for the salt the earth rebuild. They have never said they are going to. This isn't a shift in logic. They are still rebuilding hence the terms on good veterans they will attempt to flip that help develop some of the younger players on the roster. They aren't going to be great next year we know Vanek and Green are not that difference. They help the kids develop and we go to them with options on contenders. Vanek has waived several times now recently I am not worried.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Yes because two and one year deals are crushing a long-term rebuild... :ha:

They are not going for the salt the earth rebuild. They have never said they are going to. This isn't a shift in logic. They are still rebuilding hence the terms on good veterans they will attempt to flip that help develop some of the younger players on the roster. They aren't going to be great next year we know Vanek and Green are not that difference. They help the kids develop and we go to them with options on contenders. Vanek has waived several times now recently I am not worried.

I think the problem is that some people think that the only way to re-build a team is by burning it all down. May work in some sports (ie. MLB) but in the NHL its very risky. The kids need vets, and the kids need players to play with, nobody wants to be what Edmonton was pre McDavid.

Not to say that Holland hasn't signed bad contracts, he 100% has (Abby, Helm Nielsen etc.), but some fans have unfortunately given up and are just looking for the bad in everything. Its like a bitter ex going on social media and seeing their ex with a new girlfriend/boyfriend and just picking them apart.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'm neither for or against this signing, just kind of meh to me, I guess!
That's pretty much where I'm at.

The defense is a crap show still and we need guys who can eat some minutes. Green at least knows how to move the puck.

The downside is when people talk about winning culture (or at least avoiding losing culture), Green isn't a great role model. You can see him taking shifts off and half-assing it out there pretty regularly.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Still the same recipe.

There has to be talent to learn the talent to play with talent. Playing with crap players and losing every night with a blowout doesn't develop our kids.

Tyler Dellow's view is very short-sighted. What does getting Green do for the pair-matching and line-matching? Ever heard about that. Who would play there instead of him. Jensen? Or a kid like Hronek which we don't know is he ready? We'll find it out in next 1,5 seasons, but so far the plan A is Green. Hronek's job is to change the fate. How about Green playing there, so it creates easier path for the kid on lower pair for next 2 seasons?

Dellow gets stuck to the single individual contract and wonders, wonders wonders. Why is this happening. Because he can't understand the whole puzzle. That Beagle comparison for former players was also horrible.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Tyler Dellow has a nice article from the Athletic that I obviously agree with:

"There’s just nothing special about Green at this point. He’s a passable second pairing defenceman on a bad team who didn’t alter the course of the power play. For this, the Red Wings paid him $5.3-million?"

Link:
Dellow: The futility of bad teams doing anything on July 1

there's nothing particularly special about Green but there's nothing particularly special about his cap hit either

5.3 million may sound like a lot on the surface but there's 49 Defensemen in the NHL right now with cap hits of 5 million or higher,this doesn't include the handful of guys like Ryan McDonagh that have already signed deals that will be above that that don't take effect until after next season either,plus there's quite a few younger players in the league that will surely make more than that in the next few years but just haven't played enough years in the league just yet to be negotiating contracts like that

you can argue that he shouldn't have been brought back to this team at all but as for the contract itself throw in the fact that he was a UFA and the short term of it on top of that other stuff and there just isn't anything noteworthy about it at all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad