Speculation: Mike Green Back to Washington?

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I'm in the boat in thinking Mike Green will have no problem waiving to go back to Washington for a playoff run
That's true. It'd have to be their first round pick, kind of underwhelming prospect group. I don't think they're going to listen on Vrana .... and Madison Bowey seems to be a bit of a let down for them. I'd like to see what Vegas could offer.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
See i dint think Washington is a good fit for us

Bad prospect pool
Didn't win with Green before when they were a better team

To give up a first just seems unlikely on their part but it should be a must from our POV

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
See i dint think Washington is a good fit for us

Bad prospect pool
Didn't win with Green before when they were a better team

To give up a first just seems unlikely on their part but it should be a must from our POV
Totally agree with what you're saying, Still hope he ends up in Vegas and the worse thing maybe we end up with 2 2nds instead of a 1st rounder.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yup he does, Wouldn't shock me if he wasn't scouting him at LCA the other day during the Wings and Hawks game.

He also fits the team identity they have built out there, they have a ton of draft picks. I am not sure a first will be in the cards given the importance of them holding on to a decent amount of those, but he does offer them a lot.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Interesting pros and and cons. They are thin on defense. The Caps' rookies Bowey and Djoos are more green than Green himself- Orpik is hot garbage. It'd be less of a payment than Shattenkirk for a huge upgrade.

A couple fans here have been really selling Mike Green short. This isn't a 3rd pair castoff from 3 seasons ago. I watched from then and believe strongly the guy has grown as a leader and become a more effective NHL player while in Detroit. I don't know about being one of the league's better skaters but he's fast enough. More important than the sometimes misleading labels of offensive vs defensive, Green is just highly skilled. 9/10 times his plays work out, at least moving the puck with confidence. His hands are right at the top. There's no real problem with his positioning or defending. Carrying Kronwall for over a month without showing a strain is no small feat. The chemistry he's formed with Larkin and Zetterberg, hell the entire team is fantastic. I don't know if people grasp his presence is truly going to be missed.

I liked this quote:

"Intangibles aside, there’s no denying that Green is just a good hockey player. He was an All-Star for a reason and he’s still one of the league’s better skaters and his first pass out of the zone is usually right on the tape. There have been some concerns about his durability, but he’s learned to keep his head up and protect himself. Adding him to the lineup makes the Caps a better team."

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Interesting pros and and cons. They are thin on defense. The Caps' rookies Bowey and Djoos are more green than Green himself- Orpik is hot garbage. It'd be less of a payment than Shattenkirk for a huge upgrade.

A couple fans here have been really selling Mike Green short. This isn't a 3rd pair castoff from 3 seasons ago. I watched from then and believe strongly the guy has grown as a leader and become a more effective NHL player while in Detroit. I don't know about being one of the league's better skaters but he's fast enough. More important than the sometimes misleading labels of offensive vs defensive, Green is just highly skilled. 9/10 times his plays work out, at least moving the puck with confidence. His hands are right at the top. There's no real problem with his positioning or defending. Carrying Kronwall for over a month without showing a strain is no small feat. The chemistry he's formed with Larkin and Zetterberg, hell the entire team is fantastic. I don't know if people grasp his presence is truly going to be missed.

I liked this quote:

"Intangibles aside, there’s no denying that Green is just a good hockey player. He was an All-Star for a reason and he’s still one of the league’s better skaters and his first pass out of the zone is usually right on the tape. There have been some concerns about his durability, but he’s learned to keep his head up and protect himself. Adding him to the lineup makes the Caps a better team."

I agree that he is sold short, but he does have a tendency to check out mentally in a game, take a bad penalty at the most inopportune time, misjudge when to pinch in, and he does lack defensive coverage in front of his own net. The latter two could be said for many offensive minded defensemen, but overall, he's a good if not a great offensive defensemen.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
My guess is that the real action will happen in the last 24-48 hours before the deadline.

With how many teams are still in limbo, there will probably be a gradual increase in number of sellers, keeping things stagnant, until the last minute, when those teams that are definitely buyers will finally commmit to making a move.

Or, if there happens to be a blockbuster sooner than that, it could start a domino effect, but I'm guessing it will be a depth move here and there until the last few days, then a flurry at the end.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
A speculation update from today:

NHL Rumors: Rangers, Maple Leafs, Red Wings, Lightning, Golden Knights, and Capitals

"On Mike Green

Frank Seravalli of TSN
: Looking at four teams that would be a good fit for Detroit Red Wings pending UFA defenseman Mike Green.

Tampa Bay Lightning – Lightning GM Steve Yzerman is looking for a right-handed, second pairing defenseman. Yzerman may prefer one that has term left on his deal, but he may not find one that has the skillset that Green would bring. If the Lightning traded a first-round pick, it would likely be more like a second-round pick.

Toronto Maple Leafs – The Maple Leafs may not be a true contender this year, so giving the assets to get him may only make sense if they would want to re-sign him.

Vegas Golden Knights – Would GM George McPhee pay a high price for a rental? The Golden Knights could use a boost to their power play, and McPhee is familiar with Green.

Washington Capitals – Green spent ten years with the Capitals, and they could use some help on the blue line. GM Brian MacLellan gave up a lot last year to land rental defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk. Would he be willing to do so again this year?"

I don't see Toronto making that type of move, but the other three seem like logical candidates.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I dig the speculation from multiple team's. Next thing you know the price will be a 1st± a quality defense prospect!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->