Mike Gillis, Master of the Blindside

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by stevecanuck16, Feb 7, 2013.

1. serge2k

serge2k Registered User

no, but you generally have a pretty hard time when your goalie implodes and lets in 8. Or 3 in 9 minutes.

2. me2

me2 Go ahead foot

If you can't score 3 or 4 goals to bail your goalie out once in a series you deserve to lose. Boston bailed out Thomas. I understand the injuries were brutal so I can't blame the skaters either.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  3. Ronning On Empty

Ronning On Empty Formerly BleachClean

Terrible acquisition? No.

I know a lot of people dislike Booth, the way he plays, his overall production, or that cap-hit, but the league doesn't have enough talent to go around. Every marginal player that has hit UFA in the past few years has gotten paid. For instance, a 35 year old Samuelsson got paid 3m from a team he knew pretty well. A 36 year old Kuba got 4m...

There isn't a lot to choose from going to FA. So when you have the chance to acquire a top6 forward in his prime years, despite the warts, you do it. That's what Booth represents. This guy scores at a 1st line rate while powering (head down) to the net. It's the way this team wants to play and it took them over a year to mull over the possibility of getting him. Make no mistake, they knew what they were getting.

I'll repeat, this guy scores at a 1st line rate. By the numbers. G/60. Now you can hate Booth or the contract, but that efficiency is something Gillis would be hard pressed to replicate by trying to buy it in FA. It's just not going to happen. Not without multiple bidders making things difficult. Basically, Gillis got perhaps one of the most efficient scorers in the league for nothing. How is that bad? Can you name a more efficient top6er that went for less?

4. BigBadBread

BigBadBread Shi Shi Shawww

The concussion and knee sprain were the results of dirty/suspendable hits. Porter got suspended and your can bet you ass if Mike Richards threw that same hit today he would be suspended. That hit pretty much sparked the flame on the blindside hit rule. How you can blame him for those injuries is mind-boggling.

5. kanuck87

kanuck87 Registered User

There are very few GMs in the league, if any, who tip their hand regarding their next moves. This really isn't something that we should be praising Gillis on nor should this require a thread.

6. vanuck

vanuck But Gillis...!!!

Pretty much this.

7. Diamonddog01

Diamonddog01 Diamond in the rough

I like Booth and agree with what you've said, but as a minor correction - Booth scored last year at a 2nd line rate. He was on pace for 42 points, which is decent 2nd line numbers.

But apart from that you're right - free agency would not land us a better player, his advanced stats are good (despite what people claim him and Kesler are effective together), he has great speed and is one of the few forwards we have who actually drive to the net.

Considering we picked him up for peanuts I have no idea why people have an issue with him. Sure, he isn't a great playmaker, and definitely plays somewhat of a tunnel vision North/South game - but if he was a great playmaker apart from the other qualities he brings he would be a 6M player.

8. y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks I Am Negan

Management
    Home Page:
    Your theory is absolutely correct....except against Tampa Tim Thomas was lit up in 4 or the 7 games and the Bruins offense had to bail him out in one of them. So I guess your theory is wrong?

9. arsmaster*

arsmaster* Guest

He's talking pure goals.

Booth's goals per/60 minutes is at the rate of a top 90 NHL forward (30 teams, 3 players on a first line, thus top line goal scoring).

10. y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks I Am Negan

Management
    Home Page:
    Booth is also willing to crash the net. My biggest beef with him is he's been prone to injury, but if he were healthy I'm sure I wouldn't mind him at all. I do think it was a good acquisition because we didn't give up anything for him at all.

AV does need to realize though that Booth is much better on the left wing than the right. It's not Booth's fault that at times he's been utilized wrong.

11. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Fire Benning

That was the Bruins. With the Canucks, I can just see and feel them slump when a bad goal is given up. Is that a problem with the Canucks skaters' mental toughness? Most certainly. It's a big problem.

12. y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks I Am Negan

Management
    Home Page:
    I agree with this. And it also led to them leaving our goalie hung out to dry. This is something that's still a problem for this team to this day (Schneider's opening game blow out is evidence of this).

13. Wisp

Wisp Registered User

Didn't Ehrhoff blind side everyone, too? Randomly at the end of the summer for a fantastic return?

14. ddawg1950

ddawg1950 Registered User

Musician
    Wow. Did not see his thread coming at all.

15. Alflives*

Alflives* Guest

Or, will the Luongo deal be a "slap in the face"?
    How will Luongo's ego handle being traded for little value, or even being bought out?

16. Johnathon Tanner

Johnathon Tanner Playoff Bound

Student
    San Jose had to shed some salary for Dany Heatley, it was expected that Ehrhoff would move somewhere.

17. arsmaster*

arsmaster* Guest

True, but we got him for Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi....moving those pieces of dead weight for a very good defensman was a boon for this club, and it also happened on my birthday so it 'blindsided' me:)

18. Alflives*

Alflives* Guest

And to turn the tide of momentum (and build confidence in teammates) this is where the team's captain (or another first line player) must drop the gloves and fight the other team's tough guy. (Lucic or Thorton in the Boston series) The Canucks did not have that player at that time. It would serve the current Canucks to add one more top six forward (or top 4 D) who can "go" with the other teams' toughest players. Kassian cannot shoulder that burden by himself. And their current captain is not that type of leader (if he is a leader - in a hockey sense - at all)

19. kanuck87

kanuck87 Registered User

Must be the 2 games this week. People need to find something else to talk about, unfortunately.

Edit: my mistake, they're playing 3, but only have played once in last 5 days

20. BrockH

BrockH Registered User

Huh? Are we just making up numbers? He scored 3 goals in the last 20 games and has 8 goals in the past year (i.e. since February 7th 2013). Not only are you ranting off-topic and derailing the thread, but you're making **** up...

21. DL44

DL44 Status quo

That is good..
    Made me chuckle... heh heh..

22. Apple Juice

Apple Juice Registered User

Yup. Didn't expect Ehrhoff to be moved here. Honestly, I didn't know who Ehrhoff was when he was moved here mostly because I never noticed him when he was a San Jose Shark.

23. Gormo

Gormo Holupchi

Hes a master at BS alright.

24. luongo321

luongo321 Registered User

I still think it was super stupid of the sharks to trade him to a conference rival. Why even bother with the possibility of making a good team even better? If the Canucks gave away a player like that to a solid conference contending team, I'd take my pitchfork down to Roger's Arena. I dunno, maybe the Sharks GM was being classy and wanted Ehrhoff to go to a decent team or thought he really sucked so it didn't matter. :laugh:

I always liked Ehrhoff though. :handclap: We wouldn't have had such a sick team without him.

25. Alflives*

Alflives* Guest

If you liked him, why do you write the Canucks were worse with him? With Ehrhoff, the Canucks were actually a much better team. I think they miss him, especially on the power-play.