Mike Gillis, Master of the Blindside

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
Every time I see people attempting to predict the future moves of Mike Gillis, I can't help but think back to all of the times he has blindsided us. There have been a lot of threads on the main board lately about MG's travels, but I think most Canucks fans know better. Hodgson for Kassian was just the latest example. I can't remember a Gillis move that has been expected, except for Hamhuis and Garrison coming home.

Even his signings come out of nowhere. Edler and Schneider's contracts were both pleasant surprises for both the contracts and the timing. Going way back, one of his first moves was signing the Sedins to bargain deals right after they hit the open market and everyone said they were gone.

My point is, the guy doesn't tip his hand. I strongly believe the Luongo deal will be another blindside, and I cannot wait. So far, we can't really complain with the results.

ZenMaster*

Every time I see people attempting to predict the future moves of Mike Gillis, I can't help but think back to all of the times he has blindsided us. There have been a lot of threads on the main board lately about MG's travels, but I think most Canucks fans know better. Hodgson for Kassian was just the latest example. I can't remember a Gillis move that has been expected, except for Hamhuis and Garrison coming home.

Even his signings come out of nowhere. Edler and Schneider's contracts were both pleasant surprises for both the contracts and the timing. Going way back, one of his first moves was signing the Sedins to bargain deals right after they hit the open market and everyone said they were gone.

My point is, the guy doesn't tip his hand. I strongly believe the Luongo deal will be another blindside, and I cannot wait. So far, we can't really complain with the results.

HockeyWidow mentioned this once that Giillis runs a very tight ship and there's a real possibility that any rumors floating out there is either speculation or planted.

ZenMaster*

Luongo deal might be so blindside it might not even happen this season.

I think he will be gone by the trade deadline, as soon as one team makes the call and offers the player that Gillis is targeting, then its done. It could happen anytime..

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
I think he will be gone by the trade deadline, as soon as one team makes the call and offers the player that Gillis is targeting, then its done. It could happen anytime..

I realize the hypocrisy of speculating in this thread, but if I were to...

It does seem that Gillis makes trades when players that he has identified as movable are nearing peak value. This is probably why some trades are so shocking. See Hodgson and Grabner (who was traded after a good showing with the team late in the season).

Luongo is definitely nearing peak value. Ballard, too. (In terms of this season) Food for thought.

iCanuck

May 25, 2012
Nobody is getting moved this season with Lack injured. What if Schneider gets injured? We're stuck with Cannata as our starter in the post-season. Lack's injury just made GMMG's decision SO easy, unless a ridiculous offer comes around.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Nobody is getting moved this season with Lack injured. What if Schneider gets injured? We're stuck with Cannata as our starter in the post-season. Lack's injury just made GMMG's decision SO easy, unless a ridiculous offer comes around.

We did this before in 2009 and 2010. Sure it's not ideal, but you can't win anything if you don't take a few risks here and there.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
Hodgson deal was obviously #1

But a clear 2nd is the Booth deal. People rag on him for his contract but that was a KILLER blind side deal.

We had to eat some $ with Steven Reinchprechtecthtepct in the Minors but Marco Sturm was PTO signing coming off surgery and Sammy was a pending UFA who was productive but not much use for the future.

We got prime aged (perhaps not back to his 07 form) Booth and, AND we got a 3rd rounder for this draft.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

It's nice to have a Luongo and Schneider tandem in net, but without some top six help/scoring help, we're not winning anything anytime soon. If we kept Luongo and Schneider this season, I just am not sold we go anywhere, unless Luongo/Schneider can start scoring for us.

For me, the decision to keep or trade Luongo this season is not so easy. We need some scoring.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009

But a clear 2nd is the Booth deal. People rag on him for his contract but that was a KILLER blind side deal.

We had to eat some $ with Steven Reinchprechtecthtepct in the Minors but Marco Sturm was PTO signing coming off surgery and Sammy was a pending UFA who was productive but not much use for the future.

We got prime aged (perhaps not back to his 07 form) Booth and, AND we got a 3rd rounder for this draft.

Yeah, I can remember getting a text about it and thinking there must be some mistake.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver

What exactly is a prime aged Booth? A guy that scores 1 meaningless goal in a meaningless game against a weak Oilers line and that's his only goal in the last 20 games of a season including playoffs? Is a prime Booth a guy that is always hurt? if it's not his head it's his groin or his knee or whatever. I guess that's what happens when you skate around the rink with your head down.

And yeah his contract sucks, this was a blindside in a bad way. Would've been better off keeping Sammy, letting him and Sturm walk and having 4.2 million to spend on a player/save going into next years lower cap. People are excited for him to come back like he'll actually make a difference, at his best last year he was simply decent and had no chemistry with Kesler, now after scoring 1 goal in a year he's going to come back and play well? odds are he produces nothing or simply gets injured again because that's what he does.

He's reached 60 points 1 time, 4 years ago, has played 1 full season and the rest he's missed at least 10 games. Terrible acquisition.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
What exactly is a prime aged Booth? A guy that scores 1 meaningless goal in a meaningless game against a weak Oilers line and that's his only goal in the last 20 games of a season including playoffs? Is a prime Booth a guy that is always hurt? if it's not his head it's his groin or his knee or whatever. I guess that's what happens when you skate around the rink with your head down.

And yeah his contract sucks, this was a blindside in a bad way. Would've been better off keeping Sammy, letting him and Sturm walk and having 4.2 million to spend on a player/save going into next years lower cap. People are excited for him to come back like he'll actually make a difference, at his best last year he was simply decent and had no chemistry with Kesler, now after scoring 1 goal in a year he's going to come back and play well? odds are he produces nothing or simply gets injured again because that's what he does.

He's reached 60 points 1 time, 4 years ago, has played 1 full season and the rest he's missed at least 10 games. Terrible acquisition.

Classic HF mentality where decent players have "negative" value. Great asset management by Mike Gillis. Whether or not Booth is a piece that fits the team is yours freely to debate but it was a great value move by Gillis.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards

Are you really blaming him for another guy making an illegal knee-on-knee hit? While we are at it, lets blame Malhotra for his eye injury.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Last I recall you don't win games 0-0. Maybe game 3? We could have won 1-0. Or 2-1 in game 6. Or 0-0 in game 7. ;)

You don't think a team's head could feel like it's exploding when their goalie just let in a bunch of goals in the previous game? What happened in that series is that all of the canucks players became even more anxious. Hard to play offensively when you don't trust your goalie. When you are already pretty terrible offensively (besides the power play) that's a big problem. Shades of lu's meltdowns against chicago. It's like a vicious cycle. Lu knows he had to steal games so if he lets in one he goes headcase mode and then the players get nervous when the flood gates open and then they score even less. Oh Canucks. Got get a sniper.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Thank-you for repeating that again, Nuge. I think there might have been someone who hasn't read your frothing Booth-hate twenty times yet. We've now covered everyone.

You can stop now.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
You don't think a team's head could feel like it's exploding when their goalie just let in a bunch of goals in the previous game? What happened in that series is that all of the canucks players became even more anxious. Hard to play offensively when you don't trust your goalie. When you are already pretty terrible offensively (besides the power play) that's a big problem. Shades of lu's meltdowns against chicago. It's like a vicious cycle. Lu knows he had to steal games so if he lets in one he goes headcase mode and then the players get nervous when the flood gates open and then they score even less. Oh Canucks. Got get a sniper.

Completely and utter crap. The Canucks couldn't score even when Luongo was on top of his game just like they couldn't score in the 2nd half of last season when Luongo and Schneider were putting up a combined sv% in the .940 neighborhood. Blaming the goalie for the skaters' inability to score is laughable.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Classic HF mentality where decent players have "negative" value. Great asset management by Mike Gillis. Whether or not Booth is a piece that fits the team is yours freely to debate but it was a great value move by Gillis.

So far he has not been worth his cap hit for us so I don't see how he's good value. He has ridiculous term as well. IMO he was one of the most overrated players in the NHL before we got him, now you never see fans wanting him because they realize what he is. Another guy with inflated stats from Florida that can't fit in a system or stay healthy. His cap hit just sits on the books while he gives us literally nothing on the ice.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

I've had this conversation maybe a thousand times, and it always goes the same way. It's chicken or egg, really. If our players can't play the same game in front of goalie for some reason, we are not capable of winning. If our goalie can't just do his job because our forwards aren't scoring, we are not capable of winning.

Having said that, the way I see it is that Luo and the defense actually got it done in 3 games in the Finals, and the offense only once. 3>1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad