Mike Forney

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Where do you think he will get drafted? What type of role will he have in the NHL(scorer, defensive, checker, power forward, sniper?)? If you could compare the way he plays the game to anyone in the NHL who would it be? What type of potential does he own (1st line upside, 2nd line upside, 3rd line upside?) I don't get to see Forney alot, but he seems like a very interesting prospect.

Last edited:

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I could see him going anywhere from 5 overal to mid second. He is kinda like Wheeler. A big guy that is mostly a sniper. Will play big and forechecks well. But on the flip side he played A hockey in MNHS. Not a bad league but he was not challenged enough. Teams that pick him wil have to see his potential.

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
MN_Gopher said:
I could see him going anywhere from 5 overal to mid second. He is kinda like Wheeler. A big guy that is mostly a sniper. Will play big and forechecks well. But on the flip side he played A hockey in MNHS. Not a bad league but he was not challenged enough. Teams that pick him wil have to see his potential.

I was thinking the same thing. Reminds me alot of Wheeler. I only saw him very briefly in the state Tourney (didn't he get hurt?). Wheeler had MUCH stiffer competition night in and out.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
-31- said:
how's his skating?

From what i have seen it is fine. Again using Wheeler as a comparision. Wheeler also looked good on his skates. Is pretty fast and agile. But for Wheeler when the game sped up, his ability to skate and do other things seemed to falter a bit. And for a guy that grew and put on 40 pounds in 2 years i expected that. So with Fourney you will probally see that sniper touch and hustle, but he may look at times like a big oaf when he gets the puck in his skates and gets lit up by a some d man because he has to look down. I think his skating will be fine but if he does go that high he will be one of those guys you have to give some time too.

With the way he plays. He could play on lines 1-3 in the NHL if he turns out. Again with that nasty flip side. Many of the same things were said about Jeff Taffe. I think Founey has more heart and a better game.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
crosby_87 said:
TJ Oshie played A hockey also so I don't think you can go by that.

And Oshie was not challenged all that much. Yes they do play some big schools but for the most part they play a lot of weaker A schools overall. Wheeler played in the city. Breck had to play AA schools or travel far out. And that is why Oshie went late first and probally so will Fourney and many people at first will wonder who he is to why did this guy go so late. I love his game.

The top few A schools could play AA. The average AA schools could win the A tourney.

Last edited:

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
I'd be nervous about drafting the kid too high. He is starting to seem a bit injury prone and that has to be alarming for an NHL team. Particularly when Forney isn't considered a physical player as it is. If he is getting banged up at a stage when he really hasn't even added a more physical element to his game, you would have to be a bit nervous about how well he is going to hold up when he starts getting hit more.

He wasn't as much of a stand out on the Class A level as either Wheeler or Oshie.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
MN Gopher, what do you think of Jeff Taffe's pro career so far? Has it surprised you? Do you still think he'll make it?

I'm just intrigued by the comment that many of the same things were said about Jeff Taffe - was he actually considered physical? Hard to believe now, such is the perimeter player he's become.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Gwyddbwyll said:
I'm just intrigued by the comment that many of the same things were said about Jeff Taffe - was he actually considered physical? Hard to believe now, such is the perimeter player he's become.

Taffe was not considered physical. He made his name off of speed, a hard shot and quick hands. What you see now is what he has been for years. Forney doesn't have Taffe's speed or hands.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
PuckFan01 said:
Taffe was not considered physical. He made his name off of speed, a hard shot and quick hands. What you see now is what he has been for years. Forney doesn't have Taffe's speed or hands.

Yes but Taffe has the size, and was projected to be a more physical player. Like a Guerin. That size, physical play and the ability to score. Taffe owned Hastings but he never had to do anything else. At the U, he was always looked to do more. He just wanted to score more. And while Taffe never turned out to be a forechecking force. From what i have seen from him. He still goes by the corners of the net and uses those hands to gather in rebounds and shelf them. Which is what Forney will need to do. Find space and score from 5 feet away.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Gwyddbwyll said:
MN Gopher, what do you think of Jeff Taffe's pro career so far? Has it surprised you? Do you still think he'll make it?

I figured Taffe is where i thought he would be. He can score but he does not work hard enough to be on the ice to score more. He can T up a shot like few people can. Fourney is not Taffe 1.0 but Taffe was one of those MNHS kids that had a lot of promise and many saw more in him. And had hoped he would round out a bit more. Their situations are simular, not so much the play. But like i have said. Its alot of projection with Fourney still.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Thanks guys. Yeah Taffe has top class skating and hands. His game is all about skating off the play though, a clone of Brian Savage and its not getting him anywhere.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I'm really liking to Forney and want my team to take him. How is Forney's physical play? Does he like to rough it up? Is Bill Guerin a good comparision for him?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
In the games i have seen of Fourney will try and check people. Does not seem shy at all. Will go for it on occasion. Next year will be the year to judge him.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Russian_fanatic said:
I'm really liking to Forney and want my team to take him. How is Forney's physical play? Does he like to rough it up? Is Bill Guerin a good comparision for him?

You mean you see the Canucks taking him at 14th overall as a possibility?

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Kyle Chipchura said:
You mean you see the Canucks taking him at 14th overall as a possibility?

If someone doesn't fall(Sheppard, Little, etc...), I can see a decision between Stewart, and Forney being made.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:
In the games i have seen of Fourney will try and check people. Does not seem shy at all.

Then you needed to see him more. For his size and at the competition level he was playing, he would not be considered a physical player.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
PuckFan01 said:
Then you needed to see him more. For his size and at the competition level he was playing, he would not be considered a physical player.

In the few i saw, he looked like when he got POed he would go for it. Was not consistant. But thats exactly what i saw from Wheeler when he was at Breck. Wheeler went for it here and there. But in high school neither of those guys needed to really play overly physical. Wheeler for me did just fine playing at the U. I think Fourney has it in him. And when challenged will respond. When you play 2-3 lines and the top lines lots. Its hard to go all out physical. Takes it toll really quick. In HS no he was not a "physical player" like an Oshie. But i see him on a regular line, and from what i have seen think he will play physical. Physical like Mueller, Vanek or a guy like Jagr. Not throwing checks but not shying away from contact. And once and awhile will level a guy.

The little bit i saw of him at the state tourney he looked like an aggresive forechecker to me.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Forney broke his ankle at the first practice for the u-18 tourney and didn't play.

Not having the chance to compete in Sweden probably hurt his chances a good bit. That could have been the launching pad for a move up the draft boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad