Mike Fisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilot

Aug 2, 2005
First - I don't want to start a huge flame war here. But ...

Was Mike Fisher ever a serious and legit consideration for Team Canada ?

I view Shane Doan, Brad Richards and Vinny Lecavailer as the three best that were left off and Fisher is about another eight to ten players behind those three.

I am suggesting that the media created the idea that Fisher had a shot because of the sudden reality that Ottawa has very little Canadian talent and The Capital of Canada needed Olympic hopeful buzz.

Thoughts ... Discuss ...

Mar 12, 2009
I didn't think he would make it as soon as the talks about him making the team started. He's a good two-way guy and he's been producing well, I just never thought he'd make it.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Ignoring for a minute everyone else more likely to make the team, you have to admit Fisher would make a hell of a 4th line center.

He brings speed, energy, grit and he's good at both ends of the ice.

Alfredsson11

Nov 11, 2008
I think he was given serious consideration for the fourth line role.

I don't think Lecavalier was competing for a fourth line job.

Fisher was in the same boat as guys like Morrow, Doan, Bergeron.

IMO, the only reason why Bergeron was picked was because his history with Crosby, If Fisher or Doan had this history with Sid, then I think they would be there over the others.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Because they needed a great story? "Fiancee of Carrie Underwood to play in Olympics!"

Seriously though, I don't think he had a great shot at it. Whatever you consider more unlikely between a longshot and a darkhorse, well, that was Fisher. But to tell you the truth he would have blended in well. You would have had an honest day's work out of him regardless. But there is too much talent on Team Canada. Mike Richards is far more valuable to a team than Fisher. He just brings more to the table. As does Morrow. And Fisher didn't have a chance against some more offensive gems considering some good scorers like St Louis, Carter, Lecavalier and Stamkos were left off

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He definitly had a good chance

Stevie Y came to two games i can remember

Boston vs Ottawa (to watch Bergeron and Fisher)

Philly vs Ottawa (to watch Richards, Carter and Fisher)

Lindy Ruff also said he was being considered:

“With the number of goals he’s gotten (14, one more than all of last season) and as well as he has played, he has put himself into consideration,†said Ruff, the Sabres’ bench boss who also coached Fisher at the world championship last spring. “He’s done his part. (Plus) he played well at the worlds in Zurich.â€

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad