Mike Fisher Groin Spear On Erik Gudbranson

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
absolutely impossible to defend that move

since it was the players of two pretty small fanbases, this won't blow up

if this was leafs, habs, or any other major team ^^...

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
The ref crew was a disgrace with non-calls all over the ice on both sides. In that context, the Kopecky slashing call was a joke. How can the same ref decide to make that call after making a "no call" when a player was literally tackled in front of him to prevent a break away?

Fisher deserves a major suspension if that slash/spear occurred after the whistle, since the "intent to injure" would then be clear.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The ref crew was a disgrace with non-calls all over the ice on both sides. In that context, the Kopecky slashing call was a joke. How can the same ref decide to make that call after making a "no call" when a player was literally tackled in front of him to prevent a break away?

Fisher deserves a major suspension if that slash/spear occurred after the whistle, since the "intent to injure" would then be clear.

They haven't suspended anyone for it ever I don't think, I seriously doubt they suddenly start with a player that has no history of this kind of thing.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
How was that not at least a penalty on the ice? That could easily turn Erik into Erika. There should be fines for Mike Fisher---and that officiating crew.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
NSH fan; that's pretty bad no matter what happened. That said, it is Mike Fisher; dude is probably one of the more stand up guys in the NHL. I haven't see the video from before, but I feel like Gud must have done something to piss him off.

then drop the gloves like a man instead of acting like a little b****

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
How was that not at least a penalty on the ice? That could easily turn Erik into Erika. There should be fines for Mike Fisher---and that officiating crew.

Because panthers. Those calls have been going against the panthers for years. But they are a horribly run organization that hasn't been relevant since the 90s so the media never takes notice.

Buffalo Preds

Jun 18, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I largely agree; I was just pointing out that this is atypical behavior for Fish. Doesn't excuse it nonetheless.

I don't agree. Dropping the gloves after a bad hit, or run of the mill chirping, I can see, but I can imagine a scenario where someone says something so out of bounds that I don't want to give them a fair shot to hit me back. I have no idea if that was the case. It may be that it was a simple nasty bit of work by Fisher and the ref blew the call. It may be that Gudbranson's skate trapped Fisher's stick during play (you can see it flex) and then it snapped up and hit Gudbranson in the goolies. Or it may be that Gudbranson said something horrible and off limits about Fisher's wife or mother, Fisher gave him a short sharp shock, and the ref having heard the whole thing felt that Gudbranson earned it.

I wouldn't be surprised by any of these. I'd only really fault Fisher for the first, and it's so out of character I have a hard time believing it. If it was retaliation for a particularly sick comment, it's a stupid misuse of the idea of a code to expect someone to throw down the gloves and take more punches in addition to hearing trash talk that goes way beyond bounds.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
man i wish guddy would have punched fisher's face in..

Fisher's not exactly an easy guy to fight.

That said, this was just a stupid and dirty move. It's totally out of character for the guy, too. :shakehead

I hate seeing players on my team do stuff like this.

FishMonger

May 4, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Seems like we would have heard something by now if this was going to result in a fine, right?

I'll never understand the NHL's soft stance on slewfoots and nutcrackers.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I don't agree. Dropping the gloves after a bad hit, or run of the mill chirping, I can see, but I can imagine a scenario where someone says something so out of bounds that I don't want to give them a fair shot to hit me back. I have no idea if that was the case. It may be that it was a simple nasty bit of work by Fisher and the ref blew the call. It may be that Gudbranson's skate trapped Fisher's stick during play (you can see it flex) and then it snapped up and hit Gudbranson in the goolies. Or it may be that Gudbranson said something horrible and off limits about Fisher's wife or mother, Fisher gave him a short sharp shock, and the ref having heard the whole thing felt that Gudbranson earned it.

I wouldn't be surprised by any of these. I'd only really fault Fisher for the first, and it's so out of character I have a hard time believing it. If it was retaliation for a particularly sick comment, it's a stupid misuse of the idea of a code to expect someone to throw down the gloves and take more punches in addition to hearing trash talk that goes way beyond bounds.

That's a lot of potential assumptions right there and there is no way the bold/underlined segment is accurate after watching the video a half dozen times. While I think Fish is a stand-up guy, Gud is a clean player as well generally. I think Fisher just made a bad decision in a frustrating game down 2-0 and we should move on; a fine would be appropriate to me.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Everyone is concerned about the players.

Im corncerned about the missed point we couldve had had we gotten a power play in OT last night.

The refs dictate outcome of games.

One point wont change Nasvhille's fate this season. It could easily for the panthers.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
They should really start suspending people for this as it is clearly intent to injure. Not injure BADLY, mind you, but that's the only purpose for doing that. I'm always in favour of harsh punishment for deliberate acts over reckless ones.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Fisher is not eligible for body contact in this situation and Gudbranson needed to learn not to be grabbing or pushing a guy away from the play. Not my first choice in how best to teach him, but I understand the thinking. My guess is Gudbranson never engages Fisher away from the play again, so mission accomplished, I guess.

I don't like nut shots, but I like obstruction even less.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Fisher's not a dirty player. When he gets really pissed, he will drop the gloves and fight. Based on his long history of being a clean player, I'd have to lean towards the nut slash being accidental.

It looks to me like Gudbranson was moving in on Fisher, and Fisher went to cross check him as a preemptive strike. He didn't realize that his stick was between Gudbranson's legs, and he nut slashed him inadvertently while raising his stick.

The incident didn't look like much in live action, so I can see why the ref missed the call. In fact most people were looking back at Gudbranson like "what is he carrying on about?".

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Fisher has been great for us, but you can't do that. Not cool.

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
This is why PL goes after the refs lol every now and then they get scared to make a call... This was a very very bad miss call... Very very bad..

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
They haven't suspended anyone for it ever I don't think, I seriously doubt they suddenly start with a player that has no history of this kind of thing.

I don't think so either. After a quick search I found fines of 5000$ after groin slashes/spears.
I get that it's a cheapshot and I get that it's painful but it's not a concussion or a broken bone that sidelines you for ages.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
Fisher is not eligible for body contact in this situation and Gudbranson needed to learn not to be grabbing or pushing a guy away from the play. Not my first choice in how best to teach him, but I understand the thinking. My guess is Gudbranson never engages Fisher away from the play again, so mission accomplished, I guess.

I don't like nut shots, but I like obstruction even less.

Ok you gotta be kidding man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad