Mike Commodore using some logic....

Status
Not open for further replies.

transplant99

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
In an interview on the radio yesterday, the Flames 6th Dman made more sense than anyone involved in negotiations so far.

"I don't think it's being handled well at all," he said. "The thing is, you look at the PA and who's in charge ... it's all the guys that have made $30 million playing this game. If there's never another game of hockey ... and they don't make another cent playing in the NHL, they're gonna be all right.

"Sure, they have their views but I think, as far as guys in charge of the PA, there should be people in my situation so they get everybody's perspective.

"There's lots of guys in my shoes that if we miss a couple of years, that's a huge deal."

And furthermore

"I'll risk the slap on the wrist," said Commodore when asked if he's willing to accept a cap. "I don't want to spend however long my career lasts playing here in the American Hockey League (with Lowell), so I think whatever it takes.

"It's got to be give and take on both sides, not one side can be making all the money. But if (a salary cap is) what it takes -- the sport has to go on -- so I'm going to say, yeah.

"There's different kinds of caps and it's got to be a realistic one. You can't cap it up at $30 million, we're over that. It's got to be realistic so both sides are making money."

Cracks showing all over the NHLPA as players of this caliber realize that they are the ones who stand to lose out the most. Not the most money overall necessarily, but when a guy that makes 700K a year misses 1 - 2 years of that income...it hurts more than a guy who has banked 7-15 million over the same time span.

Goodenow's livelihood is on the line.

Cap isnt that bad of an idea

X0ssbar

Its very encouraging to read these comments from Commodore. Its becoming clearer everyday that the lower tier NHLers are not happy with their representation and communication thus far. I think its safe to say we will hear more from the 3rd and 4th line guys as this lockout continues. Will they have an impact on these negotiations - that reamains to be seen.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
The bulk of the NHLPA are guys like Commodore. He knows it and that's why he made those comments.

The NHLPA's bigger issue is not the owners, its allowing its representation actually start to have a voice. That's why union heads meet on Nov.2 - to either strategize a way to stem this inevitable discension or to push Goodenow into the tunnel and find the light.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Seems like the lower-paid guys are figuring out that their union isn't looking out for their interests.

Does anyone know where you can find a list of ALL the NHLPA team reps? I know who the executive committee is and who the rep is for a few teams, but I can't find a list of all of them. Just curious.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sotnos said:
Seems like the lower-paid guys are figuring out that their union isn't looking out for their interests.

Does anyone know where you can find a list of ALL the NHLPA team reps? I know who the executive committee is and who the rep is for a few teams, but I can't find a list of all of them. Just curious.

Not sure about a complete list.

I know the Flyers rep is Robert Esche.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
chara said:
The bulk of the NHLPA are guys like Commodore. He knows it and that's why he made those comments.

The NHLPA's bigger issue is not the owners, its allowing its representation actually start to have a voice. That's why union heads meet on Nov.2 - to either strategize a way to stem this inevitable discension or to push Goodenow into the tunnel and find the light.

You have to think Bettman and the owners were hoping for this to happen. Like it has been stated elsewhere, it is easier to gag 30 owners than it is 700 players: some who are making zero dollars right now. At least the owners all have other business from which to make money from. The pressure just got a little more tighter on Goodenow and the NHLPA.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Peter said:
You have to think Bettman and the owners were hoping for this to happen. Like it has been stated elsewhere, it is easier to gag 30 owners than it is 700 players: some who are making zero dollars right now. At least the owners all have other business from which to make money from. The pressure just got a little more tighter on Goodenow and the NHLPA.

If there was a $1 million fine hanging over the players heads, I think you'd see them being even more quiet than the NHL ownership groups.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Thanks John! It might be easier for us to piece it together than to find an actual list.

Tampa's is Tim Taylor. On his last contract, he voluntarily took a 50% paycut for two years and signed without talking to his agent, I'm sure the union LOVES that in their Reps. :)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sotnos said:
Thanks John! It might be easier for us to piece it together than to find an actual list.

Tampa's is Tim Taylor. On his last contract, he voluntarily took a 50% paycut for two years and signed without talking to his agent, I'm sure the union LOVES that in their Reps. :)

Leaf rep is McCabe.

transplant99

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
some additional comments from the 'Fro himself in Calgary's other paper.

I would link but it is subscripton only.

"There needs to be a system that works, whatever it is. If it's a salary cap that works . . . The bottom line is that there needs to be NHL hockey. If everybody's telling the truth and there needs to be salary cap, as long as it's a reasonable salary cap and players are making money and the owners aren't losing money and making some money, then I don't see what's wrong with it."

"At some point, we're going to lose a couple of teams . . . and then players start losing their jobs -- players that are in the same boat as me and I don't like that very much."

"Who knows what's going to happen? I'm surprised it's created a stir, but something's got to happen here. Something has to stir. I'm not saying that I want to be the one who's stirring everything up, because it's not really part of my job. But something's got to happen here so these two sides talk. It's embarrassing. The head guys from each side, I don't know what they're doing. They're not talking, they're just pouting.
"While they're doing that, guys aren't able to play, guys aren't making money or guys are playing the minors or have to go overseas. It's just not good for anybody. I'm down here in Lowell, and because I'm down here some other defenceman that would have been here, isn't going to be here."

"It doesn't really matter what I think. Mike Commodore has played 75 games in the NHL, 20 games in the playoffs. I'm not going to be shaping the way the NHL is run. I'm smart enough to realize that. I'm just saying what I think. I don't know everything, I'm just speaking my mind."

Very clearly a guy who has thought this through to the end.

Shappa

Oct 11, 2002
Whle all these things make sense, I'm not so sure he has that much of an invested stake in a cap. I mean, in reality right now he's making close to the league minimum no matter if there is a cap or not.

Let someone who would actually stand to lose salary from this talk, and then I'll care. I think Mike was just happy to be in the NHL to begin with.

transplant99

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Let someone who would actually stand to lose salary from this talk, and then I'll care. I think Mike was just happy to be in the NHL to begin with

The same can be said for about 70% of the players...in other words, the majority. Thats who the union should be listening to in as equal a way as the other 30%.

And just to point out....ALL players are losing money right now, not just the lower tier guys. The ONLY guys that stand to "lose money" in a capped world are the top tier guys...namely about 10% of the entire union.

Thats why the NHLPA should never be confused with a real union.

degroat*

Shappa said:
Whle all these things make sense, I'm not so sure he has that much of an invested stake in a cap. I mean, in reality right now he's making close to the league minimum no matter if there is a cap or not.

Let someone who would actually stand to lose salary from this talk, and then I'll care. I think Mike was just happy to be in the NHL to begin with.

The entire point of this thread went WAY over your head. Commodore's situation is MUCH more like the majority of the NHL than the millionaires who you want to hear from.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I think the Canucks is Markus Naslund
for some reason I think the Ducks is Keith Carney, but I'm not sure

The recent issue of the Hockey News that detailed what each player was doing said a lot of the reps, I'll dig it out when I get home

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What I've found so far:

The Executive Comittee

Trevor Linden - $2.0 M
Bob Boughner - $1.25 M
Vinny Damphousse - $2.0 M
Daniel Alfredsson - $5.43 M
Bill Guerin - $8.86 M
Trent Klatt - $1.1 M
Arturs Irbe - $2.5 M