Mike Bossy or Bill Cook?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
No disrespect to Cook who gets forgotten as another great right winger but Bossy takes the cake on this one. Bossy got it done in the playoffs like few players in NHL history

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Bossy gets extra credit for achieving what he did against a larger talent pool, so I went with him.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Seems kinda like a random comparison to make. They played in completely different eras and it's doubtful anyone on these boards has ever seen Cook play.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Seems kinda like a random comparison to make. They played in completely different eras and it's doubtful anyone on these boards has ever seen Cook play.

No, they haven't. But Bossy did seem to compare a bit better to his peers of his era which is no knock on Cook. Even if you didn't see Cook play, that is something you can definitely draw comparisons from when looking at their careers.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
No, they haven't. But Bossy did seem to compare a bit better to his peers of his era which is no knock on Cook. Even if you didn't see Cook play, that is something you can definitely draw comparisons from when looking at their careers.

Cook compared better to his peers than bossy, and it isn't a question. Cook was in all likelihood the 2nd best forward in the world after Morenz at the time.

But bossy's peers were definitely stronger. Hoe much stronger is the question.

Leaning towards Bossy because of playoffs, but I'd like to see someone make the case for Cook.

Seanconn*

Cook compared better to his peers than bossy, and it isn't a question. Cook was in all likelihood the 2nd best forward in the world after Morenz at the time.

Leaning towards Bossy because of playoffs, but I'd like to see someone make the case for Cook.

who were all these peers better than Bossy? Gretzky?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Not debating that, but I know you didn't forget about the Gretzky/Bossy comparison either. Depending on how a person views Trottier, there probably wasn't a better player, let alone forward, in the NHL than Bossy after Gretzky of course.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Also, with Bossy and Cook here are their top 10 points finishes

Bossy - 2, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6

Cook - 1, 1, 4, 4, 4, 7, 10

I would certainly not say there is little question that Cook was better against his peers than Bossy. This sample tells a different story, they are very close in these regards

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Also, with Bossy and Cook here are their top 10 points finishes

Bossy - 2, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6

Cook - 1, 1, 4, 4, 4, 7, 10

I would certainly not say there is little question that Cook was better against his peers than Bossy. This sample tells a different story, they are very close in these regards

Cook only started playing in the NHL at age 28 - how many top 10 finishes did Bossy have from that point on?

Before that, Cook was tearing it up in a comparable professional league.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Cook only started playing in the NHL at age 28 - how many top 10 finishes did Bossy have from that point on?

Also, cook was a power forward and team captain, both not measures in stats.

There is definitely a case for either man.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont

Right on. just looking at NHL top 10 finishes, Cook is ahead. When you bring in the Western League, Cook blows him away. I voted Cook. Bossy winning this poll by so much is voters not looking past the guy they are familiar with.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
They played in completely different eras and it's doubtful anyone on these boards has ever seen Cook play.

Freddy, Bill n'Boucher'?. The Bread Line?. Oh sure.... Which reminds me, Ive gotta get some Polident. Lost my upper plate chewing on a Bun the other day.
:GWC::wally:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Right on. just looking at NHL top 10 finishes, Cook is ahead. When you bring in the Western League, Cook blows him away. I voted Cook. Bossy winning this poll by so much is voters not looking past the guy they are familiar with.

Although the playoff portfolio of Bossy is hard to ignore

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Although the playoff portfolio of Bossy is hard to ignore

Yeah but no one from cook's era has a deep playoff resume, that needs to be considered. When you factor in that west coast players dominated the nhl scoring race in the 1926-27 season, it is possible that cook was probably the best scorer from 1924-1927.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I found a picture of Bill Cook on google, does this make me qualified to give my opinion on him? lol

billcook.jpg

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Yeah but no one from cook's era has a deep playoff resume, that needs to be considered. When you factor in that west coast players dominated the nhl scoring race in the 1926-27 season, it is possible that cook was probably the best scorer from 1924-1927.

As long as we're going to have this absurd comparison, it's worth noting that Cook had quite the playoff resume. He won two Stanley Cups and became the first player in NHL history to score a cup-winning goal in OT in 1933.

Infinite Vision*

Well you're supposed to rank players based on how good they were compared to their peers so I see no conceivable way Bossy is the better player in an all-time sense. Anyone care to explain otherwise?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Well you're supposed to rank players based on how good they were compared to their peers so I see no conceivable way Bossy is the better player in an all-time sense. Anyone care to explain otherwise?

Bossy was probably better in the playoffs. That's really about it.

I finally ended up voting "tied" for what it's worth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad