Mike Bossy - MOD Warning Post #23

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Trottier made Bossy better, Bossy made Trottier better....both contributed mightily to Clark Gillies' HOF selection, while Gillies kept both of them safe. All 3 guys along with others helped hide Potvin's deficiencies.

That said, the heart on soul of those teams were the secondary guys: Nystrom, Tonelli, Morrow, Sutter's...….they along with Smitty always upped their game in the playoffs. 19 straight playoff series wins....nobody is touching that record.

Those Islander teams always played with a chip on their shoulders, they were seen as second citizens in NY to the Rangers during the 70's and never received the national notoriety of Canadian and Oiler teams that preceeded and followed them.....even the 70's Flyer teams are better remembered. That chip still sits firmly on a number of their shoulders well into their 60's and likely will the rest of their lives.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Trottier made Bossy better, Bossy made Trottier better....both contributed mightily to Clark Gillies' HOF selection, while Gillies kept both of them safe. All 3 guys along with others helped hide Potvin's deficiencies.

That said, the heart on soul of those teams were the secondary guys: Nystrom, Tonelli, Morrow, Sutter's...….they along with Smitty always upped their game in the playoffs. 19 straight playoff series wins....nobody is touching that record.

Those Islander teams always played with a chip on their shoulders, they were seen as second citizens in NY to the Rangers during the 70's and never received the national notoriety of Canadian and Oiler teams that preceeded and followed them.....even the 70's Flyer teams are better remembered. That chip still sits firmly on a number of their shoulders well into their 60's and likely will the rest of their lives.

Wow, I didn't realize how fortunate Potvin was to have those great teammates to cover up all the holes in his game.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I remember looking up Bossy's stats a while back and was just floored how tremendous they were. I knew he was great, but geez, those stats are eye popping!

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Hey, I saw a clip where Stan Fishler said he could make a case that Potvin was better than Bobby Orr :laugh:

In the early 70's, Stan Fischler wrote a piece touting Walt Tkaczuk as a preferable player to Bobby Orr. My young adolescent mind immediately realized that Fischler was a complete tosser at that point, and I haven't taken him seriously since...

"I would take Bobby Orr on my team; as long as I could have Walt Tkaczuk first."

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
C'mon guys, this is an awful picture in the first place. He aged much better than... I dunno, Claudia Cardinale?

He has aged better than Kathleen Turner....
Kathleen Turner.jpg

Not to be nasty - she did have some health problems

Last edited:
Reactions: Killion

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
I remember looking up Bossy's stats a while back and was just floored how tremendous they were. I knew he was great, but geez, those stats are eye popping!

They get crazy when you look at his playoffs. Dude really stepped it up when it mattered. Some people just aren't afraid; doubt isn't in their DNA. Bossy is one of those people.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
They get crazy when you look at his playoffs. Dude really stepped it up when it mattered. Some people just aren't afraid; doubt isn't in their DNA. Bossy is one of those people.

It was all about his willingness to go to the net IMO. He just did it more in the playoffs.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
It was all about his willingness to go to the net IMO. He just did it more in the playoffs.

But the level of fearlessness it takes to go to that portion of the rink at that time in the sport, literally risking his health and livelihood, in order to win? Very, very, very few are wired that way, in any walk of life.

Reactions: dano16

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
But the level of fearlessness it takes to go to that portion of the rink at that time in the sport, literally risking his health and livelihood, in order to win? Very, very, very few are wired that way, in any walk of life.

Even fewer are able to turn that fearlessness on and off when it suited his purpose.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis

Yeah, looking back, Gretzky really took away a lot of the attention Bossy should of gotten. I mean, Bossy, playing in NY and for championship teams and I still don't think he got the attention he deserved. I mean I remember his rookie year, and it was Mike Bossy, Mike Bossy, but shortly thereafter Gretzky came. Maybe I'm wrong, but there's no doubt Gretzky stole a lot of his thunder.

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Yeah, looking back, Gretzky really took away a lot of the attention Bossy should of gotten. I mean, Bossy, playing in NY and for championship teams and I still don't think he got the attention he deserved. I mean I remember his rookie year, and it was Mike Bossy, Mike Bossy, but shortly thereafter Gretzky came. Maybe I'm wrong, but there's no doubt Gretzky stole a lot of his thunder.

I think the Oilers as a whole did, of course led by 99. The Isles never did have fans at my Ontario school like TO, Montreal and the Flyers when they won, but it seemed like every 2nd person was suddenly a Oiler fan. I still think most people where I am from were cheering for the Oilers during the first final between the Isles and Edmonton. Perhaps if a more nondescript franchise had followed the Isles, they might have stayed more so in peoples minds. Look at the TV coverage as well, CBC, as well. Imagine the difference if a major US network was covering the games instead.

I do remember how much notice and attention Bossy got back prior to Edmonton winning.

Reactions: Bluesguru

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018

This also probably adds to Bossy's misery as not only did the sexy Oilers quickly drown them out, but they were the redheaded stepkid in their own market. Within 20 miles of The City, but they may asv well have been on Mars. Brutal pills to swallow after winning FOUR STRAIGHT STANLEY CUPS!

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Potvin was a great player in the mid-70's, defensive liability in the 80's.

Come again?

In the early 70's, Stan Fischler wrote a piece touting Walt Tkaczuk as a preferable player to Bobby Orr. My young adolescent mind immediately realized that Fischler was a complete tosser at that point, and I haven't taken him seriously since...

"I would take Bobby Orr on my team; as long as I could have Walt Tkaczuk first."

The sad thing about Fischler is that he has had all the tools to be that classic orator of stories that only an older generation could have witnessed and he has taken one of the best jobs by covering the greatest game in the world by intentionally being goofy and outlandish. Think of him as having the ability to be Bob McKenzie in his hockey intellect and Don Cherry in his story telling (Cherry when it comes down to it can tell a great story even without the theatrics). Yet he chooses not to be like this and it's a shame.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Come again?

The sad thing about Fischler is that he has had all the tools to be that classic orator of stories that only an older generation could have witnessed and he has taken one of the best jobs by covering the greatest game in the world by intentionally being goofy and outlandish. Think of him as having the ability to be Bob McKenzie in his hockey intellect and Don Cherry in his story telling (Cherry when it comes down to it can tell a great story even without the theatrics). Yet he chooses not to be like this and it's a shame.

Fischler impresses me as someone who loves the game, has a great memory for what he saw, but never really understood the nuances of the game.

Had a nice table hockey tournament in the day though...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Fischler impresses me as someone who loves the game, has a great memory for what he saw, but never really understood the nuances of the game.

Had a nice table hockey tournament in the day though...

Right. All the depth of an 8yr old. And ya, he'd act out..... still, thing's loveable about the guy. Never afraid to state his opinion & clearly loved the game.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Come again?

Was with my wife and daughter at a Panthers vs. Islanders game at Barclays in October and saw Fischer preparing to do some pregame show near the concourse just off the Flatbush Avenue entrance. Had the urge to yell your, "You're a sh itty hack," but bit my tongue because I didn't want to embarassed my ladies. Damn family!

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Agree. Like Emrick being lauded for announcing. The most annoying man in hockey and he gets awards. For what? Squeaking, screeching, improper inflection, and asinine verbiage.

I like Emrick, but if he isn't your cup of tea, so be it. That being said, Emrick strikes me as someone that if you showed up at his house he'd probably be watching the Flyers/Penguins game on his own. Fischler has never given me that sort of impression that if I showed up unannounced at his home that he'd ever have a game on. Michael Lansberg was another media guy that gave me that sort of impression about him.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I like Emrick, but if he isn't your cup of tea, so be it. That being said, Emrick strikes me as someone that if you showed up at his house he'd probably be watching the Flyers/Penguins game on his own. Fischler has never given me that sort of impression that if I showed up unannounced at his home that he'd ever have a game on. Michael Lansberg was another media guy that gave me that sort of impression about him.

I will own to a little hypocrisy as I loved Danny Gallivan, and enjoyed Mike Lange on Penguins games in the day.

However, I felt they had styles that suited them; whereas Emrick tries too hard, and loses focus on games trying to be clever instead of informative. I see him as a fraud, and I have to mute the sound.

But it is a subjective matter, and each to his own...

But yeah, I do hate that little whiskey nosed biothch immensely.... lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad