Mike Bossy - MOD Warning Post #23

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Is it my imagination or did Gretzky and Gordie Howe have a short lived feud in that time frame (1990, 1991)? I swear I remember reading Gordie criticizing Gretzky about something.

Regarding Bossy, when I first started following hockey, he was the Islander I feared the most whenever he stepped on the ice. More so than Trottier and Potvin. Whenever Bossy had the puck anywhere in the offensive zone, it seemed like he always scored. Had Bossy not had back problems, he could have continued to be a great scorer for another 5 years barring a complete dropoff.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
That's right, although he also criticized Sather. He talked about how hard Sather was on him. He said at one point he had scored 10 points in 4 games, and Sather said to the media, "We've got to get Wayne and Jari going." He also said that Sather told him he needed to care more about getting 196 points after getting 212.

I think what happened here is that Wayne got molly-coddled too much upon arrival in L.A. Then, he looked back at how hard he'd been driven in Edmonton and felt he hadn't got the respect (and cash) he deserved... which is probably true, but what he soon realized in L.A. was that inept management and too many player-favors created an unstable, unbalanced team.

He was certainly going through something around 1990. He even uncharacteristically criticized his father in an interview (in 1991?), saying that his Dad had basically ridden him hard through childhood, something he has always denied since.

I suspect that the Oilers' win in 1990 galled Gretzky a lot. Not that he didn't want him teammates to succeed, but I think seeing Pocklington's team win it without him was a tough pill.

I am sure Walter was pushing him a bit. I don't doubt Slats did as well. You know, that could be why he ended up being so great.

No doubt that the Cup in 1990 bothered him. Why wouldn't it? He's traded from a dynasty and the team won without him. Not that he wouldn't like seeing Messier, Lowe, Kurri, etc. win it, but to see Pocklington with another ring had to sting. Not only that, but the next year the Kings are bounced out in the 2nd round by the Oilers. I often wonder, what was Gretzky thinking about after round 2 in 1991? He must have thought that the Oilers were going to win again without him. Little did he know the Oilers were about to collapse. But before he knew that collapse was going to happen he must have felt a bit like Pete Best.

I would think that would be a normal thing. Maybe Joe Montana had some resentment when the 49ers won without him too.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I am sure Walter was pushing him a bit. I don't doubt Slats did as well. You know, that could be why he ended up being so great.

No doubt that the Cup in 1990 bothered him. Why wouldn't it? He's traded from a dynasty and the team won without him. Not that he wouldn't like seeing Messier, Lowe, Kurri, etc. win it, but to see Pocklington with another ring had to sting. Not only that, but the next year the Kings are bounced out in the 2nd round by the Oilers. I often wonder, what was Gretzky thinking about after round 2 in 1991? He must have thought that the Oilers were going to win again without him. Little did he know the Oilers were about to collapse. But before he knew that collapse was going to happen he must have felt a bit like Pete Best.

I would think that would be a normal thing. Maybe Joe Montana had some resentment when the 49ers won without him too.

i agree with most of this but i think it’s impossible for wayne gretzky to feel anything like pete best.

Reactions: Tarantula

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, that Pete Best analogy was a little off in that Gretzky achieved a tad more than Pete Best did before their respective separations!

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Is it my imagination or did Gretzky and Gordie Howe have a short lived feud in that time frame (1990, 1991)? I swear I remember reading Gordie criticizing Gretzky about something.

I don't mean to get off track from Bossy, but this is something I'd love to hear more about. Never heard there might have been some tension between the two.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
I don't mean to get off track from Bossy, but this is something I'd love to hear more about. Never heard there might have been some tension between the two.

I too remember Howe being an a ss. Some legends have an immortality complex. Bjorn Borg was like this. Sad, really.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I too remember Howe being an a ss. Some legends have an immortality complex. Bjorn Borg was like this. Sad, really.

So someone thinks Howe may have been critical of Gretzky, therefore you recall him being an ace?

When I was lucky enough to meet Mr. Howe, he seemed a perfect gentleman.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
So someone thinks Howe may have been critical of Gretzky, therefore you recall him being an ace?

When I was lucky enough to meet Mr. Howe, he seemed a perfect gentleman.

Just saying I recall the same behavior from Howe that the other poster recalled, and I find it unbecoming.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
LOL Despite all our differences, and arguments, I have blocked 1 poster in the last 9 years being around here.

I wish I was signed in so I didn't have to read them calling Gordie Howe an ass.

Dammit. And these people have the right to vote.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

At times, sure. Steve Howe of Yes could be a right Pillock. Agreed. Old guy. GTFO the stage already....... But Gordie?...... Not backing Lindsay in 56/57 over the creation of the Players Association?.... His viscous streak?... You referring to how it was suggested by Bob Baun that Mr. Hockey was responsible for keeping players salaries league wide down for so long.... who as one of if not the premier talent in the league was grossly underselling himself & his talents in playing for so little... that he was "an ass" because of that?... Or do you take issue with his coming out of retirement, playing on into so late a point in his life as he did?... Perhaps all of the above or....something else altogether?... Maybe MIAtoBKLYN's parents got suckered into becoming Amway Distributors, Gordie a Spokesperson for awhile and hey, if Mr. Hockey was in must be solid, right? And now you have a garage full of soaps, shampoo's & handi-wipes that expired in 1976, your parents out tens of 1000's and your inheritance shot ta Hell... friends & relatives all angry still with what your folks & by rote their kids with you for suckering them all into a MLM Pyramid scheme... trusted the Big Guy. #9... look what he did to them, to himself?. Wife Colleen absolutely livid. Sued. Ass-h*le move Gordie. Is that it?

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Just because he's your favorite player doesn't make this part true.

UUqd0Wx.jpg

Nothing says "Hollywood" like endorsement deals with high profile products like Bic, Nielsen and GWG Jeans.

Reactions: Killion

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Wonder if Bossy had any Zappa, for some reason I could see him slapping one in behind a goalie with the guitar solo from Stink Foot going through his head.

He was consistant year to year, the finishing touch that every great team needs. Always felt while he got lots of notice while playing his name seemed to drop off after retiring. Always felt those Isles teams did not get quite the respect they deserved in general as they were sandwiched in between the Habs and Oilers.

Always respected what he did in his career but it would be cool if he had a Les Paul, a Morely whah and a old tube amp..... and a Telefunkin U47!!!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Nothing says "Hollywood" like endorsement deals with high profile products like Bic, Nielsen and GWG Jeans.

.... :laugh: yeah... really hittin the big time with those premium products Ferris....
Why & how did that photo wind up on this thread anyway? Just a tad off-topic.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, nothing like a movie star wife and playing for the la kings does.

Yes, Jennifer Jones was quite the "movie star." Who could forget her turn as "Girl in bathing suit in The Flamingo Kid" and of course her role as "Girl in bathing suit in Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach."

Reactions: Tarantula

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, nothing like a movie star wife and playing for the la kings does.

.... ahh... the previous "Janet Jones" not exactly an 'A' Lister "Movie Star" there streitz but whatever. Nice lady. Their daughter I understand a bit of a Tearaway. Aging Wayne before his time I'm sure. :laugh:

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Yes, Jennifer Jones was quite the "movie star." Who could forget her turn as "Girl in bathing suit in The Flamingo Kid" and of course her role as "Girl in bathing suit in Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach."

Well seeing as you actually know the movies she was in I guess she made an impression on you.

Though seeing as you admitted to being a fan of that doofus HNIC brought in(not gonna bother looking up his name). This doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
.... ahh... the previous "Janet Jones" not exactly an 'A' Lister "Movie Star" there streitz but whatever. Nice lady. Their daughter I understand a bit of a Tearaway. Aging Wayne before his time I'm sure. :laugh:

Well she made it to the big screen at the end of the day.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Well she made it to the big screen at the end of the day.

.... uh, yeah... though what any of this has to do with Mike Bossy I know not.... though Mike did have a role in the 2005 movie Les Boys IV, has appeared on various hockey documentaries, competitor on The Apprentice.... and no, not the one with Trump, Canadian version.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
.... uh, yeah... though what any of this has to do with Mike Bossy I know not.... though Mike did have a role in the 2005 movie Les Boys IV, has appeared on various hockey documentaries, competitor on The Apprentice.... and no, not the one with Trump, Canadian version.

I don't know either honestly, this thread has veered so far off course in so many different directions I think it will take years of research from the top minds in north America to find out.

Back on topic.

130401122215-mike-bossy-51427987-single-image-cut.jpg

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Well seeing as you actually know the movies she was in I guess she made an impression on you.

Though seeing as you admitted to being a fan of that doofus HNIC brought in(not gonna bother looking up his name). This doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

It doesn't surprise you that I know two films that Janet Jones was in because I thought George Strombolopolous did a good job hosting Hockey Night in Canada?

What on earth are you talking about? What does one have to do with the other?

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
The Greatest, And Howe!
The night Gretzky breaks his longstanding record is not an occasion that Howe is looking forward to. He has decided not to be on hand when Gretzky erases his mark, and he reminds people of the 174 goals he scored in six World Hockey Association seasons. "Don't confuse people," Howe recently instructed The Hockey News. "Eight hundred one is an NHL record. The career [record], he has a little way to go."

Everyone, I apologize. Gordie didn't criticize Gretzky nor was there any friction between the two. A paragraph from a Sports Illustrated article that I completely misinterpreted as a teenager made me believe there may have been some. Austin Murphy, the writer of this piece, wrote that Gordie wasn't going to be there when Gretzky broke his goal scoring record. Turns out Murphy was wrong. Not only was Howe at the LA Forum when Gretzky scored number 802, but Gordie was also traveling with the Kings for a few games beforehand as Gretzky was in a goal scoring slump.

Tonight was the first time I read this article since it was originally published. Yet, as a teenager, it seemed to me that Gordie was upset about his record being broken and somehow morphed over the years into friction between the two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad