Mike Bossy - MOD Warning Post #23

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
From his book, Bossy's problems with the Canada Cup in '84 were:

- he was having knee problems after another long season, and would've preferred having some time to rest before the new season.
- the press was constantly asking him about Trottier's decision to play for the U.S., and exaggerating friction between the two of them.
- he never liked Eagleson, whose fingerprints were all over the tournament.
- he was trying to quit smoking, so was already in a crabby mood.

He does mention having some differences of opinion with Sather. For example when the team was in Montreal, Sather wanted him to stay at the hotel. Bossy wanted to stay at his home which was nearby. But overall, he didn't seem to have any issues with the Oilers.

reckoning? Do you personally have any problems with Mike Bossy?. I do.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
reckoning? Do you personally have any problems with Mike Bossy?. I do.
I don't know the man personally, so have no reason to like or dislike him beyond what I've seen of him as a player, or read about from others opinions of him.

I'm surprised to hear you had issues with him, and am curious what they could be. I like a lot of your posts because you have first-hand knowledge of many hockey personalities that most of us here don't.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I don't know the man personally, so have no reason to like or dislike him beyond what I've seen of him as a player, or read about from others opinions of him.

I'm surprised to hear you had issues with him, and am curious what they could be. I like a lot of your posts because you have first-hand knowledge of many hockey personalities that most of us here don't.

Well... I never played with nor against Bossy so not firsthand but.... I did know guys he played with & against in Junior and they thought he had an overarching sense of "entitlement"..... Secondly, he has been post career working in media, either CHOM FM or another outta Montreal, "Elecytric Lunch Hour", hits ot should I say "Stoner Rock of the 70's" and he WILL NOT PLAY Kate Bush.... K?.... Thats a problem. "Oh England, My Lionheart".... What a Jerk..... Then theres his "attitude". He doesnt think the Islanders, Jethro, Battlin Billy etc get the R.E.S.P.E.C.T they deserve from historians, the media & fans, and he aint shy about demanding it. As in those classic Drunk stories, idjeet telling the Cops or a hot chick... "do you know who I am"?... So those are my issues with Mike. Please clarify, clear up if you can. Seems a nice Boy. Dunno what to make of the guy. Long Isaland. Does funny things to people. Suburbia....

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I've always liked this picture, which kind of sums up his career!:
cut.jpg

Bossy has not necessarily aged well, however...
Mike+Bossy+SDWsat9jX9zm.jpg

Reactions: Killion

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Well... I never played with nor against Bossy so not firsthand but.... I did know guys he played with & against in Junior and they thought he had an overarching sense of "entitlement"..... Secondly, he has been post career working in media, either CHOM FM or another outta Montreal, "Elecytric Lunch Hour", hits ot should I say "Stoner Rock of the 70's" and he WILL NOT PLAY Kate Bush.... K?.... Thats a problem. "Oh England, My Lionheart".... What a Jerk..... Then theres his "attitude". He doesnt think the Islanders, Jethro, Battlin Billy etc get the R.E.S.P.E.C.T they deserve from historians, the media & fans, and he aint shy about demanding it. As in those classic Drunk stories, idjeet telling the Cops or a hot chick... "do you know who I am"?... So those are my issues with Mike. Please clarify, clear up if you can. Seems a nice Boy. Dunno what to make of the guy. Long Isaland. Does funny things to people. Suburbia....

To not go running up that hill is a load of babooshka......

Babooshka is seriously a must view video....:)

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
.....Secondly, he has been post career working in media, either CHOM FM or another outta Montreal, "Elecytric Lunch Hour", hits ot should I say "Stoner Rock of the 70's" and he WILL NOT PLAY Kate Bush.... K?.... Thats a problem. "Oh England, My Lionheart".... What a Jerk....
Seriously? That alone is grounds for expulsion from the HHOF, and any other Hall of Fame for that matter.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018

I get that you're the zany old man around here, but this post is rife with petty, 3rd hand gossip. "Drunk stories? Suburbia" Too many here feed into your whackiness because your post is libelous and offensive. But believing those Isles don't get respect? Perhaps touchy, but he isn't exactly wrong. I doubt the league has another team win 4 straight Cups for for many decades. Please stick to what you actually know and experienced.

Try some from the horse's mouth:

Letter to My Younger Self | By Mike Bossy

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Did La Machine do the nasty with your sister or something?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

But will he play Kathleen Edwards?

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Found an old Bossy thread that states that, in his autobiography, he reveals that Cleveland (pick #5) reached out and Pierre Lacroix, having no interest in seeing his client join a franchise nearing extinction, made an absurd salary demand that successfully scared the Barons off. And apparently the Leafs passed on him twice (picks #11 & 12) because rumors were circling that Mike was in negotiations to join the then-WHA's Nordiques. So it seems that the lore of only the Islanders having strong interest in the supposed softy out of Laval has grown into quite the myth.

Bossy rescuing the Barons? Teaming with Meloche rather than scorching him in the Finals a couple years later? Taking passes from Goulet and the Stastnys?

Interesting alternative histories.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I get that you're the zany old man around here, but this post is rife with petty, 3rd hand gossip. "Drunk stories? Suburbia" Too many here feed into your whackiness because your post is libelous and offensive. But believing those Isles don't get respect? Perhaps touchy, but he isn't exactly wrong. I doubt the league has another team win 4 straight Cups for for many decades. Please stick to what you actually know and experienced.

Try some from the horse's mouth:

Letter to My Younger Self | By Mike Bossy

You seem to have misinterpreted my post MIA.... I actually like, admire Mike Bossy and ya, totally agree that those Islanders teams dont get the respect that they deserve... sandwiched as they are between the Habs last Great Dynasty teams & the Edmonton Oilers, Gretzky & Company shattering every record on the books.... Bossy is "techy", tad curmudgeonly when it comes to this topic and has every right to be so.

Now. As for the rest of your comments?.... No comment. Dont take kindly to spurious accusations of anykind and certainly dont trade in such stock myself though clearly you believe otherwise, personal attacks be they directed at me or others. Unfortunately I see posts like this, like yours with ever increasing frequency on this Board & others here on hf which, and I'm sure will make you happy... resulting in my own visits & postings becoming far fewer and far less frequent than they once were. Have a nice day.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
From his book, Bossy's problems with the Canada Cup in '84 were:

[...]

- he was trying to quit smoking, so was already in a crabby mood.

even as someone who smoked no less than two packs a week for a decade, this always astounds me. i eventually decided to try to quit because it got to the point where i was huffing walking up a second flight of stairs. bossy was coming off his seventh straight 50 goal season and 19 playoff series wins in a row.

he WILL NOT PLAY Kate Bush.... K?.... Thats a problem. "Oh England, My Lionheart".... What a Jerk.....

well, tbf the hounds of love came out in 1984 and as we know he was crabby because he was trying to quit smoking. i mean, that's a hell of an album but you can kind of see how those high tones wouldn't necessarily vibe well with a guy going through nicotine withdrawal.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Hands up if you were immediately intrigued with a "mod warning" in the title of a Mike Bossy thread?:laugh:

Okay, in all seriousness, Bossy is pretty unique in hockey history. 50 goals in 9 straight seasons is a record I am almost going to say will never be touched. If Wayne Gretzky doesn't have a record and you do, then that's special. Maybe if he doesn't miss 16 games in 1988 Gretzky ends up with 10 of these in a row, but he didn't do it.

Part of the lure of Bossy is that we never saw him play hockey in his 30s, so he ends up with never having a decline. His back hurt him in 1987 and that was probably the only reason he didn't hit 50 in that final year too. Hence, this is why he is the all-time best with a 0.76 GPG rating. In comparison, someone like Ovechkin is slightly further down the list at 0.61 and that will drop as his career continues.

But even as a career he is tied with Gretzky for most 50 goal seasons with 9 overall. The next best is Ovechkin at 7. Dionne, Lafleur and Lemieux have 6 each. You think that maybe taking in the higher scoring era plays into it but then you realize that only 20 players in NHL history have at least 3 50 goal seasons let alone 9, so it's special.

Bossy has never been like Gretzky personality-wise. When asked once which goalie had his number his response was: "I scored an average of 57 goals a year, not many." Maybe people like that sort of honesty and brashness, I think it has its place but the NHL does tend to have more modesty to it than other sports. But he is who he is.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Bossy has never been like Gretzky personality-wise. When asked once which goalie had his number his response was: "I scored an average of 57 goals a year, not many." Maybe people like that sort of honesty and brashness, I think it has its place but the NHL does tend to have more modesty to it than other sports. But he is who he is.

I think many other hockey players throughout the sport's history are just as arrogant, the difference being Mike wears it on his sleeve. You don't achieve what he has by NOT thinking you're the best. I've always found modesty among the greats to be quite phony. That "awe shucks" persona is, IMO, designed to alleviate pressure, both internally and from potential critics. For that, I think the likes of Gretzky used their modesty more so as a tool than anything particularly genuine. I love Gretzky, but I've got to call it like I see it.

The more intriguing part of Bossy's candor is his apparent bitterness, which seems weird considering how great his accomplishments are. There must be a direct conflict between his ego and the lack of love he believes he and his Isles received from the league, fans, media, opponents, etc. More than any other member of those Islanders teams, he seems particularly hurt by this supposed slighting. To his credit, he still remains involved with the sport, the Islanders, alumni games and is interactive with fans.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think many other hockey players throughout the sport's history are just as arrogant, the difference being Mike wears it on his sleeve. You don't achieve what he has by NOT thinking you're the best. I've always found modesty among the greats to be quite phony. That "awe shucks" persona is, IMO, designed to alleviate pressure, both internally and from potential critics. For that, I think the likes of Gretzky used their modesty more so as a tool than anything particularly genuine. I love Gretzky, but I've got to call it like I see it.

The more intriguing part of Bossy's candor is his apparent bitterness, which seems weird considering how great his accomplishments are. There must be a direct conflict between his ego and the lack of love he believes he and his Isles received from the league, fans, media, opponents, etc. More than any other member of those Islanders teams, he seems particularly hurt by this supposed slighting. To his credit, he still remains involved with the sport, the Islanders, alumni games and is interactive with fans.

I know Gretzky has been called on here before for having "fake modesty" but keep in mind this guy actually was from humble beginnings. Being from Brantford, Ontario let's just say is a long ways from Hollywood. Walter worked right up until the early 1990s when he suffered that aneurysm. He was a telephone repairman up until 1991. Think about it, Wayne could have easily said "Here dad, here is some money to retire and buy your dream house." But it never happened. So there is no doubt Wayne came from humble beginnings. Plus, the guy had the same personality at 20 as he does today. I think there has to be some sort of an ego a player has to be that great and no doubt when they give you the nickname "The Great One" it is hard to stay humble but I've never seen Gretzky as the "Hollywood" type despite his success.

Bossy just had a different personality than him. In fact, he had a different personality than Trottier or Potvin for that matter.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Bossy just had a different personality than him. In fact, he had a different personality than Trottier or Potvin for that matter.

I find that each of the Islanders main players is pretty similar in that regard. We know about Potvin's column in 1976 and how he rubbed teammates the wrong way with his attitude in the 1970s. Trottier gives off a similar vibe sometimes, though I do enjoy interviews where he speaks in the third person. It freshens things up at least in that it's a different attitude than we see from most hockey players.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
His wife is an actress/aerobics instructor though. Doesn't get more Hollywood than that.

She was barefoot and pregnant after they got married for several years. Just saying.

Just because he's your favorite player doesn't make this part true.

UUqd0Wx.jpg

I don't think if he sold stuff like Mr. Big or had Pro-Stars cereal it means he went "Hollywood".

I find that each of the Islanders main players is pretty similar in that regard. We know about Potvin's column in 1976 and how he rubbed teammates the wrong way with his attitude in the 1970s. Trottier gives off a similar vibe sometimes, though I do enjoy interviews where he speaks in the third person. It freshens things up at least in that it's a different attitude than we see from most hockey players.

True, although that was in 1976 and he was 23 years old. I'll agree though that the Islanders dynasty has more of a chip on their shoulders than the Oilers one. Probably because they lost their chance at 5 in a row.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I liked Gretzky's personality perfectly up to about 1988-89, around and just after he was traded. It wasn't that he "went Hollywood", it's just that he became bigger than the game and -- even though he had known that he was so for years prior -- he started letting that affect his career choices and public image around the time of the move to L.A. Part of it was also his anger towards Pocklington and the Oilers, which he expressed quite strongly around 1990-91 (something largely forgotten now).

I cannot stand it when athletes (or celebrities) refer to themselves in the third person, which Gretzky started doing around the L.A.-trade period. It's basically a sign that they're now treating themselves as commodities.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I liked Gretzky's personality perfectly up to about 1988-89, around and just after he was traded. It wasn't that he "went Hollywood", it's just that he became bigger than the game and -- even though he had known that he was so for years prior -- he started letting that affect his career choices and public image around the time of the move to L.A. Part of it was also his anger towards Pocklington and the Oilers, which he expressed quite strongly around 1990-91 (something largely forgotten now).

I cannot stand it when athletes (or celebrities) refer to themselves in the third person, which Gretzky started doing around the L.A.-trade period. It's basically a sign that they're now treating themselves as commodities.

His 1990 autobiography he showed some rare disdain for someone and that someone was Pocklington. Not that he was belligerent about it but you could tell he was not happy with Pocklington at that time. Not that I blame him though.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
His 1990 autobiography he showed some rare disdain for someone and that someone was Pocklington. Not that he was belligerent about it but you could tell he was not happy with Pocklington at that time. Not that I blame him though.
That's right, although he also criticized Sather. He talked about how hard Sather was on him. He said at one point he had scored 10 points in 4 games, and Sather said to the media, "We've got to get Wayne and Jari going." He also said that Sather told him he needed to care more about getting 196 points after getting 212.

I think what happened here is that Wayne got molly-coddled too much upon arrival in L.A. Then, he looked back at how hard he'd been driven in Edmonton and felt he hadn't got the respect (and cash) he deserved... which is probably true, but what he soon realized in L.A. was that inept management and too many player-favors created an unstable, unbalanced team.

He was certainly going through something around 1990. He even uncharacteristically criticized his father in an interview (in 1991?), saying that his Dad had basically ridden him hard through childhood, something he has always denied since.

I suspect that the Oilers' win in 1990 galled Gretzky a lot. Not that he didn't want him teammates to succeed, but I think seeing Pocklington's team win it without him was a tough pill.

Reactions: rfournier103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->