News Article: Mike Babcock: This is best Red Wings team since 2009

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
i don't think we get better by trading tatar.

holland probably doesn't want to add enough pieces (mantha, ouellet, 2015 1st) to land top pairing defenseman, assuming that top pairing defenseman even is available.

tatar is also arguably our best goal scorer. we have no one to replace him. we aren't going to keep scoring like this (even with tatar on the roster).

maybe in the offseason and then you can add someone at UFA to replace him and/or mantha and pulks might be able to do it.

tatar will be cheaper than nyquist after this season for 2 more years, looks to be about as good and has less value.

I will take some heat for this comment, but I would rather let Nyquist go over Tatar. That being said, I don't want to lose either, I think they are on the path to being very good NHL scorers. The way Tatar is scoring right now is pretty impressive. He is just entering his prime too. I would hate to lose him for a year and a half of Keith Yandle.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Abby was doing pretty good until he went down. Pulks might be a beast given the chance. Mantha probably in a year or two. Weiss is on fire, maybe that continues, same with Helm though that's less likely for me. I also think Jurco is going to break out but can admit he's not yet a scoring winger.

I was thinking of Abby, Weiss, Helm and Jurco. I just do not want to trade any of Tatar, Nyquist, Franzen.

Weiss, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Mantha, Athanasiou etc. We have home-grown talent to replace Tatar. Not equally right now but very soon...

I was thinking more of established/proven goalscorers for this year.
How good does Tatar have to be for him to slip down from the #1 spot on peoples trade-bait lists?

Like.. what if he plays better than Nyquist all season? Is Gus still the untouchable one?
He os off my list for sure. But you have to give to get. So we will have to part with someone.
I will take some heat for this comment, but I would rather let Nyquist go over Tatar. That being said, I don't want to lose either, I think they are on the path to being very good NHL scorers. The way Tatar is scoring right now is pretty impressive. He is just entering his prime too. I would hate to lose him for a year and a half of Keith Yandle.
I am also thinking of the same. Z has Franzen. Datsyuk has not had the right winger in a long time. So if Tatar is clicking with Datsyuk, then I think moving Nyquist rather than Tatar.

Actual Thought*

We aren't so desperate for a d-man that we trade either Tats or Nyquist. We can win with what is in the organization already. I expect a rental move at the deadline but not a blockbuster.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
We aren't so desperate for a d-man that we trade either Tats or Nyquist. We can win with what is in the organization already. I expect a rental move at the deadline but not a blockbuster.

If we want to win the cup in the next couple years, I think we are desperate for one. We need a top pairing defenseman.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

After a fast research, NJ Devils Marek Zidlicky is kind of the only, puckmoving, right-handed, turnoverfree, power-play quarterback old dog as a possible rental, who is playing on a team which is gonna miss the playoffs.

Actual Thought*

If we want to win the cup in the next couple years, I think we are desperate for one. We need a top pairing defenseman.
I think they have adjusted things with the system in order to play with what they have. Our system doesn't count of the d producing as many points. The PP relies on the d to keep it in and give it to the forwards and be a stop gap. They aren't really playing a QB style.

I also think many here underestimate DDK's potential. He is on pace for 32 points already. I expect given his experience that he will improve a lot from there.

Actual Thought*

After a fast research, NJ Devils Marek Zidlicky is kind of the only, puckmoving, right-handed, turnoverfree, power-play quarterback old dog as a possible rental, who is playing on a team which is gonna miss the playoffs.

I imagine Holland has a little deeper scouting reports than we do.;) I would expect the unexpected. A name nobody thought of. I don't see them ripping into what they have built. I would expect a very subtle but effective move if there even is a move.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I imagine Holland has a little deeper scouting reports than we do.;) I would expect the unexpected. A name nobody thought of. I don't see them ripping into what they have built. I would expect a very subtle but effective move if there even is a move.

Pro scouting is a bit iffy. What with our wonderful FA class of 2 years ago. Weiss playing helps it a bit but outside of alfie who was basically interested due to us being Sweden West.

This is not to say I have a unrealistic expectation of everyone brought in being a success but our pro scouting as of late (say past 3 years) has been very erratic.

Actual Thought*

Pro scouting is a bit iffy. What with our wonderful FA class of 2 years ago. Weiss playing helps it a bit but outside of alfie who was basically interested due to us being Sweden West.

This is not to say I have a unrealistic expectation of everyone brought in being a success but our pro scouting as of late (say past 3 years) has been very erratic.
How is keeping the team competitive while you buy time for your prospects to ripen "erratic"? Seems to me we made a very smooth transition from old to young.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How is keeping the team competitive while you buy time for your prospects to ripen "erratic"? Seems to me we made a very smooth transition from old to young.

We signed 2 players in free agency our GM had to buy out. We traded a 2nd and prospect for a player who was demoted to our 4th line and then was CHOSEN not to try and bring back..

We had Ian White who was out of the league in 3 years and can't even crack an AHL roster now a days.

Our pro scouting is pretty suspect.

It's a valid criticism.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad