TSN: Mike Babcock free to talk to other teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I was more poking fun at real world comments.

sports are a different world. Lot of friends doing business.

Im sure we have seen teams fire a coach and hire his replacement pretty much immediately at times.

Cant tell me most of the legwork wasnt done prior to the firing and somehow no one knew

Only example I've seen posted was Carlyle and Boudreau. It's an interesting case. But I'd speculate that the Ducks weren't overly concerned with maintaining the relationship with Carlyle. He was likely fired anyways, and if the Ducks missed out on Boudreau than the assistant coach would have been made the inter-rim (sp?).

A team like Montreal who management seems to be happy with their current coach are unlikely to interview Babcock because the consequences if he's not successfully signed are too great. The drop off of between quality coaching candidates on Bergevin's list from Therrien to Candidate X are likely significant.

Too much risk for MB to even entertain the notion of interviewing Babcock since the result is likely losing Therrien for a complete X factor.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Only example I've seen posted was Carlyle and Boudreau. It's an interesting case. But I'd speculate that the Ducks weren't overly concerned with maintaining the relationship with Carlyle. He was likely fired anyways, and if the Ducks missed out on Boudreau than the assistant coach would have been made the inter-rim (sp?).

A team like Montreal who management seems to be happy with their current coach are unlikely to interview Babcock because the consequences if he's not successfully signed are to great. The drop off of between quality coaching candidates from Bergevin's list from Therrien to Candidate X are likely to great.

Too much risk for MB to even entertain the notion of interviewing Babcock since the result is likely losing Therrien for a complete X factor.

I never said mtl would do this.

my first post even mentioned MB is happy with therrien. I even used a hyperbole lol.

It was something id do if it was just money and you could get babcock

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Babcock is one of the best coaches in the league. His planning, preparation and ability to motivate is first rate. He's probably one of the few coaches that consistently gets the most out of the players.

Doesn't mean he can turn water into wine.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Sure you did. Maybe you forgot, but you had a huge rant about how Bergevin should fire Therrien to.hire Babcock.

i was trying to prove coaches that were fired had winning records?

Good thing you can read minds because didnt say that all.

Read into it what you want. No point in explaining

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
The only way and its not completely impossible its that Babcock reaches out to Montreal. Puts out a really good case of why he is the man for the job, and yes even with the great job that's has been done he has the expertise to bring its all to a new level. MT will get he's 8 million so I don't think there would be any problem there. Bab's will get he's 5-6. Everyone happy :) ohhhh expect some in the french media.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
The only way and its not completely impossible its that Babcock reaches out to Montreal. Puts out a really good case of why he is the man for the job, and yes even with the great job that's has been done he has the expertise to bring its all to a new level. MT will get he's 8 million so I don't think there would be any problem there. Bab's will get he's 5-6. Everyone happy :) ohhhh expect some in the french media.

cute dream, but Babcock has a thing called class.

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
cute dream, but Babcock has a thing called class.

Darn good point :cry:
OK so let's resume. One of the best coach is available but we can't have him since he does not speak French and we already have a good record? Could we trade them a 2 rd and MT? lol

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
For those calling him overrated, how do you explain 10 straight playoff appearances? How do you explain last years' playoff appearance despite his top 6 depleted by injury and Ericsson missing half a season?

TheViperOne

Jul 26, 2005
I've heard that Molson has authorized the cash for Babcock but he wouldn't authorize the hiring of a translator for media scrims.

Sorry guys

:sarcasm:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Babcock is one of the best coaches in the league. His planning, preparation and ability to motivate is first rate. He's probably one of the few coaches that consistently gets the most out of the players.

Doesn't mean he can turn water into wine.
Who needs Babcock, when you have Pricer...;)

Seriously though, the guy is a great career coach...the right people are on the ice at the right time.........he is leaving Detroit, mainly to help his coaching fraternity get bigger money, but he also knows Dats and Zetterburg are not getting any younger....

Stanley Cup and a couple of gold medals....playoff apearances with the Wings when major guys have been injured and so on......he and MT are not even on the same page as far as anything coaching related...it's not even close....

Team Canada, picked Babcock, and you know for certain, there was no hey, what about Therrien conversations with the Team Canada brass...none what so ever...

It sounds like it could be the Oilers, that pick up Babcock...

ourobouros

Sep 29, 2009
We finish 2nd in the league (without having the 2nd best roster) and were in round 2 of the playoffs. And you want to fire the coach after that?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
We finish 2nd in the league (without having the 2nd best roster) and were in round 2 of the playoffs. And you want to fire the coach after that?

It's not that simple. The goal is to win the fourth round of playoffs. Anything else is different degrees of bad or good.

The question to be asked is, can Therrien bring home the Cup?

Personally, I'm very sceptical. I watch all the games. With even a marginally worse performance in goal, I think we're on the bubble.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
For those calling him overrated, how do you explain 10 straight playoff appearances? How do you explain last years' playoff appearance despite his top 6 depleted by injury and Ericsson missing half a season?

The ones calling him overrated are the ones who think MT's a good coach. They are deluded. Babcock's resume speaks for itself.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

Didn't Pittsburgh fire him after making the finals?

Didn't the 49ers just get rid of their coach after being a tipped ball away from winning the SB?

Records mean nothing if you're a team in "transition" and all of your younger players whom you're trying to build with are being turned into grinders. He absolutely was the wrong hire. MT is perfect for a bigger team low on talent and not too many young players. Habs are built in his likeness if you look at the moves Bergie has made. In order to get back on track IMO MT has to go. Are we going to trade everyone before realizing the coach is the problem?

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
"No answer", yet Babcock's team was the one that blew a 3-2 series lead?

You asked and I provided and now you're just moving around the goalposts. I never said the situations were identical (and you never specified they had to be).

Babcock took tampa to 7 games with his 2nd string goalie. MT is floundering with the best goalie in the league. Babcock has proven with the right team he can win a gold medal and a stanley cup. Guess that isn't good enough for some people.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Kind of funny that a year ago everyone on this board critized him all of the Olympics for benching PK now everyone wants him because he's the be all end all :laugh:

I'm not a fan of MTs systems or in game decisions but I can't see him getting the ax for anyone right now. He'd have to mess up with a cup contending team like he did with Pittsburg

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I'm not a fan of MTs systems or in game decisions but I can't see him getting the ax for anyone right now. He'd have to mess up with a cup contending team like he did with Pittsburg

Or lose the room . See : Claude Julien getting fired by the Devils just before the playoffs even if they finished with 107pts

That was in 2006- 2007 i think

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Kind of funny that a year ago everyone on this board critized him all of the Olympics for benching PK now everyone wants him because he's the be all end all :laugh:

What does one have to do with the other? No one criticized his appointment of HC. And seriously, did you think PK should have been a 7th dman behind Petrangelo and a few other starters?

Babcock is a hell of a coach. Doesn't mean I'm going to agree with every decision he makes.

I will agree about MT staying. He'll be around for a while and I really hate that. But it is what it is...

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
I need to get in on this. Hiring an NHL coach is not, and will never be, the same thing has hiring someone in the normal business world. Quite frankly, sports is almost as far from the real world as you can get.

There is no way a team who currently has a coach, is going to start interviewing Mike Babcock. This day in age it is not possible to keep it a secret. Interviewing another coach would destroy the relationship with the current.

What was stated in the first quote is spot on. No way a team who currently has a coach with whom management is happy with, will interview Babcock. It's guaranteed to get out, and then your stuck looking for another coach.

I want to replace my accountant I can go out and interview a bunch and he's likely to never know. He'll keep on working just like he always does and there won't be any effect. If I'm not able to hire Joe Super Accountant life goes on and Larry the Above Average Accountant is none the wiser. I publically announce throughout the office that I'm interviewing Joe Super Accountant for Larry's job, than Larry's work is going to suffer, and guess what, he's probably going to quit or leave as soon as he can.

Hiring an NHL coach like Babcock is a very public event. It's not like replacing someone in the real world at all.

I was fully on board with you, but then I thought about it and I disagree. It's possible to call Babcock, wish him good luck, get a feel for where his head is at, see if he'd potentially be interested, and proceed from there. On the phone. It depends on the relationship (and whether one existed), but it's certainly possible.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
If this is such a common practice, you boys certainly won't have any difficulties showing me just one example of a NHL team hiring a second coach before the first one was demoted ? Or even firing their own coach just to get in the derby for another coach ? I will accept any article/memory hinting that such a practice has even happened at the NHL level.

This one is common practice, could fill 10 pages of examples with some research.

But I will just stick with the Habs:
Example of new coach hired before the previous one is fired: Vigneault was hired before Tremblay was fired.

Virtually every mid-season coaching change without interim are done that way: a new coach get hired before the other one get fired, everything is done deal before the team announce it publicly.

It happen with GMs as well, see Savard<=>Gainey

When teams demote their coaches, they do it because they are not satisfied with the results. They never do it to go after a big fish.

Coach going "UFA" are super rare case to start with... The only example I can think of actually involve Babcock...

Babcock didn't resign with the Ducks and the Red Wings demoted Lewis (48-20-10-4: 110pts / 48-21-11-2: 109pts) to scout and signed Babcock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->