TSN: Mike Babcock free to talk to other teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Make no mistake, he loves his grinders (as most coaches do). Drove Wings fans crazy for years playing guys like Cleary and Abdelkader with guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg.
Well, we're not getting him. If he's in love with grinders, maybe its a blessing in disguise.

Roster mgmt is only half the equation though. The other half is systems. You can get away with being bad at one if you're good at the other.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
The Caps fired Bruce Boudreau on November 28, 2011.

The Ducks fired Randy Carlyle on December 1, 2011, and hired Boudreau the same day. Four days' difference.

Not saying the Habs would/should do it, but there is precedent.

The ducks didn't fire Carlyle simply because they wanted Boudreau.

The ducks had every intention of firing Carlyle even before Boudreau became available. The ducks were off to a 7-13-4 start and Carlyle had been around for 6 seasons. They wanted to move into another direction. The fact a competent coach (in their eyes) became available, and the fact other teams were looking for coaches at the same time led them to speed up their time table and act quickly because they didn't want to be left with bad options.

This would be a completely different situation if we fired Therrien this summer just to go after Babcock.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I just saw a coach who tactically coached circles around Cooper in the first round, and if not for a roster severely less than Tampa, would have won that series. Cooper had no answer.

"No answer", yet Babcock's team was the one that blew a 3-2 series lead?

The ducks didn't fire Carlyle simply because they wanted Boudreau.

The ducks had every intention of firing Carlyle even before Boudreau became available. The ducks were off to a 7-13-4 start and Carlyle had been around for 6 seasons. They wanted to move into another direction. The fact a competent coach (in their eyes) became available, and the fact other teams were looking for coaches at the same time led them to speed up their time table and act quickly because they didn't want to be left with bad options.

This would be a completely different situation if we fired Therrien this summer just to go after Babcock.

You asked and I provided and now you're just moving around the goalposts. I never said the situations were identical (and you never specified they had to be).

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Hasn't even made it past the 2nd round in 6 years, can't believe how overhyped he gets. He won a cup like 8 years ago with a team stacked with guys like Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Rafalski, Hudler, Franzen, Filpulla, Kronwall etc. and has been incredibly overrated since.

You can't win without good players. Babcock, Therrien, Bowman.. no one wins the cup without good players.

The key is to look at what a coach has done when he actually had teams who could get it done.

If anyone is overrated it's Holland.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
You asked and I provided and now you're just moving around the goalposts. I never said the situations were identical.

What I'm talking about is an instance of a team firing a perfectly good competent coach they're happy with to go with a coach they perceive to be better. That is the point here. The example you brought up is exactly the same as any other coach who gets fired. There is nothing different about this situation except the ducks rushed to do it because of external factors.

If you don't understand my point, it doesn't mean I'm moving the goalposts. It's not even that they're not identical, it's that it's completely different than what I'm talking about.

EDIT:

I'll explain it again in simple terms.

You do not fire a coach to go after another coach.

You fire a coach because you are unhappy with that coach.

The ducks fired Carlyle because they were unhappy with him, not because they wanted Boudreau.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Except it wouldn't happen that way. Management would quietly interview him, possibly over the phone or in a different city, then fire Therrien if Babcock was interested. It would essentially play out like what Anaheim did.

And to your prior point. While not a coaching change, Edmonton technically never fired MacTavish despite announcing Chiarelli was GM. Sure, they've always had an old boys club going, but there's your example.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
You've obviously never been to Edmonton. There is a reason why Pronger wanted out and that other ufa abandoned his deal. Its freaking cold in Edmonton and not much for your FAM to do. It would take probably an offer north of $10m to get Babcock to go to Edmonton.

Meh.

He coached in Red Deer and Lethbridge in his early years.

Pronger had to leave because he was enjoying the benefits of the city and got caught.

Katz has a ton of $.

Edmonton is likely top 2 on the list.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Meh.

He coached in Red Deer and Lethbridge in his early years.

Pronger had to leave because he was enjoying the benefits of the city and got caught.

Katz has a ton of $.

Edmonton is likely top 2 on the list.

What does that even mean ? What benefits ? Curious to know what you mean here.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Babcock might be the most overrated coach in hockey history.

Depends how you rate a coach. He has a good playoff record. Tough to rate coaches when they have had good teams the majority of their career. Look at Ruff, and what he had accomplished in Buffalo... with some of those teams.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Those of you suggesting we go after Babcock right now, in the midst of a playoff run, aren't really thinking this through, are you?

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Those of you suggesting we go after Babcock right now, in the midst of a playoff run, aren't really thinking this through, are you?

His contract doesn't expire till June 30th, and I reckon he won't sign anywhere until after that.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Outside of this board and Andrew Berkshire twitter, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Therrien is highly regarded, as much as Babcock.

PricePkPatch*

The Caps fired Bruce Boudreau on November 28, 2011.

The Ducks fired Randy Carlyle on December 1, 2011, and hired Boudreau the same day. Four days' difference.

Not saying the Habs would/should do it, but there is precedent.

Was Carlyle in a winning situation in 2011?

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
:laugh:

In the real world there isn't a single team that would fire their coach with zero guarantee that they could replace him with Babcock, not unless they had every intention of firing their coach anyway.

In the real world you don't have to fire your current coach before hiring a new one.

Real world. something tells me you dont live in it.

in business, people get hired to replace people all the time.

Real world, are you kidding me...
In the business world, it happens all the time.

Maybe business world isnt a real world tho

I need to get in on this. Hiring an NHL coach is not, and will never be, the same thing has hiring someone in the normal business world. Quite frankly, sports is almost as far from the real world as you can get.

There is no way a team who currently has a coach, is going to start interviewing Mike Babcock. This day in age it is not possible to keep it a secret. Interviewing another coach would destroy the relationship with the current.

What was stated in the first quote is spot on. No way a team who currently has a coach with whom management is happy with, will interview Babcock. It's guaranteed to get out, and then your stuck looking for another coach.

I want to replace my accountant I can go out and interview a bunch and he's likely to never know. He'll keep on working just like he always does and there won't be any effect. If I'm not able to hire Joe Super Accountant life goes on and Larry the Above Average Accountant is none the wiser. I publically announce throughout the office that I'm interviewing Joe Super Accountant for Larry's job, than Larry's work is going to suffer, and guess what, he's probably going to quit or leave as soon as he can.

Hiring an NHL coach like Babcock is a very public event. It's not like replacing someone in the real world at all.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I need to get in on this. Hiring an NHL coach is not, and will never be, the same thing has hiring someone in the normal business world. Quite frankly, sports is almost as far from the real world as you can get.

There is no way a team who currently has a coach, is going to start interviewing Mike Babcock. This day in age it is not possible to keep it a secret. Interviewing another coach would destroy the relationship with the current.

What was stated in the first quote is spot on. No way a team who currently has a coach with whom management is happy with, will interview Babcock. It's guaranteed to get out, and then your stuck looking for another coach.

I want to replace my accountant I can go out and interview a bunch and he's likely to never know. He'll keep on working just like he always does and there won't be any effect. If I'm not able to hire Joe Super Accountant life goes on and Larry the Above Average Accountant is none the wiser. I publically announce throughout the office that I'm interviewing Joe Super Accountant for Larry's job, than Larry's work is going to suffer, and guess what, he's probably going to quit or leave as soon as he can.

Hiring an NHL coach like Babcock is a very public event. It's not like replacing someone in the real world at all.

I was more poking fun at real world comments.

sports are a different world. Lot of friends doing business.

Im sure we have seen teams fire a coach and hire his replacement pretty much immediately at times.

Cant tell me most of the legwork wasnt done prior to the firing and somehow no one knew

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Considering we'll be facing 3-consecutive elimination games, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the playoff run will, regrettably, soon be over.

PricePkPatch*

I was more poking fun at real world comments.

sports are a different world. Lot of friends doing business.

Im sure we have seen teams fire a coach and hire his replacement pretty much immediately at times.

Cant tell me most of the legwork wasnt done prior to the firing and somehow no one knew

And yet, you cant really prove that the coaches who were fired to be replaced had a winning record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad