Mike Babcock Elite Coach Appreciation thread

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
How difficult is it to comprehend what an appreciation thread is? lmao.

Why not create your own civilized thread "Things Babcock Does that I Disagree With" then post freely over there and not here. This ain't the "OMG So Simple, I Can Do a Better Job Than Dumb Coach" thread.

There's also an Ignore Thread option.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
When I wake up in the morning and get dressed after my shower. I think to myself as I am putting my legs in my pants, "Mike Babcock does this every morning too", except when he does it, it's with a Stanley Cup ring on his finger.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
How difficult is it to comprehend what an appreciation thread is? lmao.

Why not create your own civilized thread "Things Babcock Does that I Disagree With" then post freely over there and not here. This ain't the "OMG So Simple, I Can Do a Better Job Than Dumb Coach" thread.

There's also an Ignore Thread option.

Agreed, not every thread needs to be a vortex of negativity. An appreciation thread should be just that, appreciation.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Funny the other thread as well, all the geniuses turned on Quinn and Burns too back in the day, nature of the game.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Criticism of Babcock for how he handles Matthews and Nylander is valid. Especially Auston.

Don’t let Babcock mess it up. How many coaches did Crosby have? If Matthews feels disrespected by Babcock, see ya later Babs.

It’s Babcock’s job to bring the best out of Matthews and make him feel special and massage his ego. If Babcock can’t do that get rid of him, it’s that simple.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Still in the top 3 best hockey coaches in the world, even made a tanking team in 2015 watchable. Gets max efforts out of his players :thumbu:

Reactions: stickty111

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Criticism of Babcock for how he handles Matthews and Nylander is valid. Especially Auston.

Don’t let Babcock mess it up. How many coaches did Crosby have? If Matthews feels disrespected by Babcock, see ya later Babs.

It’s Babcock’s job to bring the best out of Matthews and make him feel special and massage his ego. If Babcock can’t do that get rid of him, it’s that simple.

Maybe the Leafs should move these selfish players you speak of and bring in good team players to replace them?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Maybe the Leafs should move these selfish players you speak of and bring in good team players to replace them?
Yup - I mean, try to coach it out of them first, but you can't have players needing to be coddled. Luckily, Matthews, by all accounts, has a crazy work ethic and simply wants to make himself the best player he can possibly be, and he's probably smart enough to know that that doesn't come by being babied by his coach.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Yup - I mean, try to coach it out of them first, but you can't have players needing to be coddled. Luckily, Matthews, by all accounts, has a crazy work ethic and simply wants to make himself the best player he can possibly be, and he's probably smart enough to know that that doesn't come by being babied by his coach.

There’s a difference between babied and feeling respected by your coach and that he’s putting you in positions to have the most success.

See the playoffs. If that crap continues, it’s on Babcock.

Mathews is the key to future success. Babcock is playing with fire.

Reactions: ToMaLe and hotpaws

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

The best way to get the most out of your players is to cater to them and massage their ego?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
There’s a difference between babied and feeling respected by your coach and that he’s putting you in positions to have the most success.

See the playoffs. If that crap continues, it’s on Babcock.

Mathews is the key to future success. Babcock is playing with fire.
I think that what "putting [him] in positions to have the most success" means is subjective, and Babcock has his opinions and methods, based on his many years of experience and the information available to him, for how best to develop these players. I can respect that you disagree with those opinions or methods, but if Matthews is the kind of player that needs his "ego massaged" as you described in your previous post, then that is an example of an immature kid who needs to earn his respect from the coach, not the other way around. Fortunately, I don't believe Matthews is the kind of person you seem to think he is, and worrying so much about Babcock's handling of him seems like a major overreaction to me.

Listen to any member of our management team or coaching staff talk about the future, and they'll always mention patience, and a process - Everyone in charge understands how long it can take to turn a young, raw team into a group of Champions, and they're not going to quickly toss out one of the best coaches in the League within the first few years just because that young team is undergoing expected growing pains. (Especially when they're absolutely crushing pre-season expectations in the process, and the kids are putting up production comparable to the best players in the League at similar ages.)

While I certainly agree that Matthews is a key to our success, he's one of many, and doesn't need to take on any pressure of being the savior - He gets to just focus on his game at 21-years-old and keep learning how to be the player he knows he can be. Same goes for not getting a letter yet.

I would have to imagine that Babcock's position is one of the most secure in the entire League right now.

Reactions: saltming

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Go to training camp (it is free) and watch a pro coach run 4 practices in 1 day. He is a total energy bunny. He is constantly moving constantly watching constantly correcting constantly forcing a very very fast practice. He is quick to the point and not accepting of making the same mistake twice. I really like the way he runs a practice. Best I have ever seen and I had coaches and i've seen hundreds over my many years in hockey.

I think his breakout can be broken down in small ice hockey in playoffs which i hope he sees and fixes. I am not a fan of the d to lw at other teams blue line breakout he was running today. I realize it is very fast and quick but it requires d to hold puck too hold and wait for opening to develop. This is the biggest single theory i dont like because it costs us the playoffs last season.

He runs a fast and effective bench in games. Most of time he gets the matchups right.

Overall we are lucky to have him and he is a top coach no doubt.

Reactions: DarkKnight

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Go to training camp (it is free) and watch a pro coach run 4 practices in 1 day. He is a total energy bunny. He is constantly moving constantly watching constantly correcting constantly forcing a very very fast practice. He is quick to the point and not accepting of making the same mistake twice. I really like the way he runs a practice. Best I have ever seen and I had coaches and i've seen hundreds over my many years in hockey.

I think his breakout can be broken down in small ice hockey in playoffs which i hope he sees and fixes. I am not a fan of the d to lw at other teams blue line breakout he was running today. I realize it is very fast and quick but it requires d to hold puck too hold and wait for opening to develop. This is the biggest single theory i dont like because it costs us the playoffs last season.

He runs a fast and effective bench in games. Most of time he gets the matchups right.

Overall we are lucky to have him and he is a top coach no doubt.

Except when you botch a line change with fanatical line matching and end up letting a game 2 vs Boston get away from you.

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
talk about someone who over thinks things. You wouldn't think someone in that position could over estimate their smarts but babcock has. You have one of the best young players in the world, but a slower, smaller, less skilled, weaker shot/vision player that got 30 ish points all last year starts your power play.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs record is better than their player personnel and that is because of the Leafs World class coach.

Leafs set an all-time record for team points last year thanks to Babs.

Zack47

Oct 21, 2017
Yes, Babcock is a very good coach. But he has faults. Here are three:

1) His lines don't make sense to me. He seems stuck on weird combinations. This year it is putting Kadri with Brown and Leivo. Is this a joke? Kadri scored over 30 goals last two years - but not with these guys. Neither are play makers. Kadri deserves better, and they are sitting there -- on the 4th line. Makes NO sense.
2) He is too rigid about his approach. Its fine to have a "theory", but for him it is a matter of knowing more than anyone else. His treatment of Hyman is bizarre -- he is just not that good. Give some credit where credit is due.. which reminds me..
3) He is kind of perverse about always arguing with / against obvious points. See Hyman above.
4) I am concerned that he does not BUILD confidence in young players -- he undermines it. Someone complained about him putting Marner and Nylander on the 4th lines. yes, it is old school to a fault. Its the 21st century -- you have to go with what works for these guys.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Yes, Babcock is a very good coach. But he has faults. Here are three:

1) His lines don't make sense to me. He seems stuck on weird combinations. This year it is putting Kadri with Brown and Leivo. Is this a joke? Kadri scored over 30 goals last two years - but not with these guys. Neither are play makers. Kadri deserves better, and they are sitting there -- on the 4th line. Makes NO sense.
2) He is too rigid about his approach. Its fine to have a "theory", but for him it is a matter of knowing more than anyone else. His treatment of Hyman is bizarre -- he is just not that good. Give some credit where credit is due.. which reminds me..
3) He is kind of perverse about always arguing with / against obvious points. See Hyman above.
4) I am concerned that he does not BUILD confidence in young players -- he undermines it. Someone complained about him putting Marner and Nylander on the 4th lines. yes, it is old school to a fault. Its the 21st century -- you have to go with what works for these guys.

Why not start a Mike Babcock discussion thread and leave this one to appreciation?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I find appreciation threads kinda silly in the first place, but I find it extra funny that everytime we have one, you open it up and it's largely criticism.

Some people just gotta be the contrarian.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Babcock is perfect for the Leafs IMO.
Sounds like some may be afflicted with the "Grass is Greener Syndrome":
Troubles in life come when one believes the myth that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. They are taken over by envy, believing that other people have the good stuff and then feeling depressed, anxious, and persecuted by the belief that they have so little.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->