Mike Babcock discussion part 3.

Will Babcock be fired if the Leafs/Pens game is a shutout loss?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Here's my take on the situation. Matthews and Babcock despise each other. Although Taveras wears the "C", I believe that Matty is the real leader in the clubhouse. And the players are rallying around him. They will never like each other. Either Babcock or Matty has to go. Take your pick Dubas...

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Here's my take on the situation. Matthews and Babcock despise each other. Although Taveras wears the "C", I believe that Matty is the real leader in the clubhouse. And the players are rallying around him. They will never like each other. Either Babcock or Matty has to go. Take your pick Dubas...
I don't think Matthews is the only guy who doesn't like Babcock. People are going to call them whiny millionaires, but I don't think any of our young stars are happy with how Babcock has run things, and I think it has everything to do with lack of accountability. Kids screw up, they get demoted, have their ice time cut, etc. But one of Babcock's checkers or veterans screw up... Nothing. And the ice time thing is quite frankly, baffling at this point. I think the Leafs are the only team in the NHL where the best players don't play the most minutes...

Jun 27, 2005
I get the frustration with Babcock but for the remainder of this season, I can't imagine someone else making a significant impact that's worth 40 mill to buy him out.

The Leafs D will be revamped next season and perhaps one less year of paying Babs makes them move on if the guy they want is available. Those calling for his head today make no sense.

Babcock got reportedly 8*6.25M. This is his 5th season. After this season he is owned $18.75M Who's the moron that gave a coach an 8 year contract?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If this keeps up which it probably will, Babcock has to be gone sometime before December 1st. Right?

Reactions: mikeyz

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Babcock got reportedly 8*6.25M. This is his 5th season. After this season he is owned $18.75M Who's the moron that gave a coach an 8 year contract?

I never understood this. Giving a coach an 8 year deal is insanity.

I hope the leafs get a new coach instead of digging into the recycled coach trash bin this time around. At the same time I hope they find someone who can instil values and character into these guys.

in all likelihood with Dubas around we’ll get some Ron Wilson clone.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Wow the fire Babcock train is packed now.

Good to see that most are starting to see what a few of us have seen all along here. Now that Babcock has thoroughly worn out his welcome, people finally see the overrated clown this guy's been all along.

One thing that's going to start unraveling as time passes is just how much Babcock has f***ed with Matthews.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
If this keeps up which it probably will, Babcock has to be gone sometime before December 1st. Right?

Babcock is the greatest hockey mind this earth has ever been granted. No way he goes. How do you think that Detroit or team Canada teams won. Talent? Nope. They were underdogs. He was the reason why they won.

and yes that is sarcasm. Lol. He needs to go now.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Can't wait until the "Fire Babcock" chants begin at home. The firing should have happened after game 7 this year.

It will start when we lose to Boston in a couple of days. We can barely get by mid tier teams, and Boston hasn't lost a beat since last years playoffs.
Actually, the guys they have brought in have since signed contracts and started playing even better.

Wish we could say he same LOL

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I like what Jack Armstrong said about Nurse in the game today. "I love how Nick Nurse coach's. He finds things he can exploit. He doesn't go away from it, he goes back to it".

It will be nice to have a coach like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blanche Blanche

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It will start when we lose to Boston in a couple of days. We can barely get by mid tier teams, and Boston hasn't lost a beat since last years playoffs.
Actually, the guys they have brought in have since signed contracts and started playing even better.

Plus they let a 4-0 lead slip away, they might be angry team on Friday.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

The Scotiabank arena will never jeer Babcock. Get real.

They'll boo the players though, that's for sure.

Remember Gardiner?
Remember Kessel/Phaneuf?
Remember the waffles?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
That is a pretty fricken easy decision isn't it? What will likely end up one of the best goal scorers of all time? or a coach that is significantly holding this team back?

Dubas has to be more patient then us obviously but I feel like decision day is coming real soon. Only a matter of time before fans in the building make their voices heard like they did with Wilson.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
f*** this arrogant, hypocritical, vindictive sorry excuse for a coach. He is not getting the most out of this team. Yes the players deserve blame as well but enough is enough. He can not get this team to win and it’s even evident that the players have had it with him. Can him already.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
I don't think Matthews is the only guy who doesn't like Babcock. People are going to call them whiny millionaires, but I don't think any of our young stars are happy with how Babcock has run things, and I think it has everything to do with lack of accountability. Kids screw up, they get demoted, have their ice time cut, etc. But one of Babcock's checkers or veterans screw up... Nothing. And the ice time thing is quite frankly, baffling at this point. I think the Leafs are the only team in the NHL where the best players don't play the most minutes...

Ehm... isn't it well acknowledged that Babcock doesn't get very well along with veterans, hence the Spezza fracas. If anything he seems tougher on the veteran players according to all sources.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Ian Tulluch on Babcock today in his post game analysis, plus other information.
Mike Babcock — The section you’ve all been waiting for!
On the plus side, the Leafs outshot the Islanders for the majority of the second period. The downside is that both teams generated zero dangerous chances during that 10-plus-minute stretch, which doesn’t sound like it’s playing to the strength of Toronto’s roster. It’s been struggling to generate chances like crazy in its past couple of games, which is super concerning.
We can talk about Babcock helping the Leafs play better defensively, but they’ve been getting out-chanced consistently over the past few weeks when you look at a metric like expected goals. You can’t say that’s a positive because they’re giving up less because their tactical choices are suffocating their offence. This team takes way too many point shots, isn’t activating its defencemen enough on the breakouts and forecheck, and still hasn’t figured out that its top power-play unit should play more than 60 percent of the minutes on the power play.
As a side note, Hyman got more minutes than Matthews and Nylander in his first game back from a torn ACL, while Dermott got 12 in his first two games back despite playing well. Babcock’s biases are strong, and I doubt they’re going away anytime soon.

this was a low-event game at even strength. Neither team generated much offensively through the first 40 minutes, and then score effects kicked in for the third period. Can’t say I love watching that kind of hockey from a team with Toronto’s talent.

This team has been getting outplayed for 20 games now, and things don’t appear to be getting any better. Something needs to change.

Is it all right to admit I hate watching this team lately? Because I hate watching this team. Toronto’s roster has some of the most dynamic talent in the NHL, and it’s sucking the life out of games Minnesota Wild-style.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I like what Jack Armstrong said about the Nurse in the game today. "I love how Nick Nurse coach's. He finds things he can exploit. He doesn't go away from it, he goes back to it".

It will be nice to have a coach like that.
Even if we had an old school coach, change and adapt like Trotz did. He was talking on Sirius radio the other day about how he's stopped overcoaching every little detail.

He has a deal with his players. Do what he says in the defensive zone and neutral zone, and he lets his players do what they want in the offensive zone. If they stop getting back on defense, that privelage gets taken away.

Even something like that would be an improvement over babs.

I have no idea why we play a 3rd man high in the offensive zone and never play in the middle of the ice with the skill we have.

Reactions: IPS and stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Even if we had an old school coach, change and adapt like Trotz did. He was talking on Sirius radio the other day about how he's stopped overcoaching every little detail.

He has a deal with his players. Do what he says in the defensive zone and neutral zone, and he lets his players do what they want in the offensive zone. If they stop getting back on defense, that privelage gets taken away.

Even something like that would be an improvement over babs.
Exactly. Even something small like that is an upgrade. It looks like Trotz adapted as well.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
Babcock is the greatest hockey mind this earth has ever been granted. No way he goes. How do you think that Detroit or team Canada teams won. Talent? Nope. They were underdogs. He was the reason why they won.

and yes that is sarcasm. Lol. He needs to go now.

They weren't exactly underdogs, but winning both the U20, World Cup, Olympics, WC and SC is something on your CV. If it was that easy, why is the national team when without Babcock constantly failing in U20 and world champs with supposedly the best talent?

Clearly the guy is special. There must be some other common denominator that makes the team fail every year since 1967, maybe it's in the water...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->