News Article: Mike ‘Doc’ Emrick retiring from legendary NHL broadcasting career

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
As a kid, aside from a 2 second clip on the news broadcast, he was all I had. Didn't have cable so those few precious Rangers Sunday Fox broadcasts were my salvation, and for a long time his voice represented the thrill of seeing hockey.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I’m surprised at how much hate he gets. I love the overly descriptive playcalling and general nerdiness with the sport and the English language. His voice is a bit nasally, but it never took away from the great calls. Stepan’s goal in game 7 was particularly memorable.

Best wishes to him. There are rumblings that Kenny will replace him as the big game pbp guy.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
For argument's sake in terms of trying to sell the league to a wider base of fans, Doc had that old-school 70s/80s charm that wasn't appealing to modern and next generations.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Guess I'm in the minority that enjoyed Doc. Gonna miss playing emerick bingo with friends for big playoff games.
I agree with you. even watching Devils broadcasts as a Rangers fan, I enjoyed Doc although I rather have him be on NBC. a legend that will be missed.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Always appreciated the game he called game 6 vs Buffalo. One of the more exciting losses ever. Still breaks my heart but I go back and watch highlights every now and then.

I've never seen a moment like where Lundqvist comes flying out with a poke and then one of our defenseman (Paul mara I think) jumps in net solo to stop a puck with his foot before he slides it down ice with his hand. Crowd went from "going to a funeral" to an explosion of the purest unchecked emotion you could ever hear in a nanosecond and Doc lost his mind.

4:02

Last edited:

Cynical TyranT

Son of a gun
May 9, 2004
Somewhere in 'merica
Always seemed a good guy but I always thought he was pretty piss poor as an announcer. Let's get Thorne and Clement back together FINALLY.

Its weird seeing a bunch of people say he was great. Like on what planet? I guess theres someone for everyone though... just like these kids saying LeBron is better than Jordan.

no.

Reactions: mas0764

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Never understood people not liking Doc. He could read the phone book and it would be exciting.

Probably has something to do with him having nasally orgasms every time Brodeur made a routine save in the 90's.

Honestly I can barely remember a time before Doc was the ubiquitous excite-voice of national playoff hockey but there was a time when he was mainly just an annoying Devils announcer.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
It's about time.

The funny thing is when he first started broadcasting games, he was pretty good. He always had a high voice, but the screeching really didn't start until he became the Devils full time play by play guy for the second time in the 90s.

The wordsmithing and nerdiness was kind of cute and interesting when it first started. It really had become quite annoying over the last ten to fifteen years. Even got more annoying as his voice got higher and higher.

Hopefully this will be the break for John Forslund. Since the cheap-ass joke of a franchise he gave nearly 30 years to decided to treat him like a pile of dog feces, hopefully, he gets the full-time NBC gig.

I'd love Forslund to take over for Sam when he hangs em up. Kenny Albert is okay but pretty bland.

Reactions: NCRanger

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Always seemed a good guy but I always thought he was pretty piss poor as an announcer. Let's get Thorne and Clement back together FINALLY.

Its weird seeing a bunch of people say he was great. Like on what planet? I guess theres someone for everyone though... just like these kids saying LeBron is better than Jordan.

no.
He kept up with the pace of the play calling which is honestly more than what you could say for most announcers, including Sam Rosen. I actually valued Doc's speed a lot, particularly in the playoffs.

His overactive vocabulary doesn't change the fact that he was one of the most fluid moment-to-moment announcers for the sport on TV. I thought he was great at capturing the excitement of the game. And when there was a great save, or amazing move, he was able to deliver the drama volume wise.

I'll miss him... not terribly, but a bit.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->