Player Discussion Mikael Wikstrand part 2 AKA Karlsson 2.0

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
So many people spitting venom over a kid making a decision based on family rather than based on money.

So strange...
I don't think people would be as upset if he's willing to return the bonus money he got for signing a contract that he's not fulfilling.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I don't think people would be as upset if he's willing to return the bonus money he got for signing a contract that he's not fulfilling.

This.

No one is faulting him for choosing family over money. Datsyuk did the exact same thing. The difference is Pavel didn't take the Wings money.

Wikstrand signed a deal, found out he would have to play in Bingo, then fled in the night to avoid being assigned there. And he kept his bonus money.

He's got poor character.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This.

No one is faulting him for choosing family over money. Datsyuk did the exact same thing. The difference is Pavel didn't take the Wings money.

Wikstrand signed a deal, found out he would have to play in Bingo, then fled in the night to avoid being assigned there. And he kept his bonus money.

He's got poor character.

Pretty sure that Datsyuk collected 7 mil in signing bonuses on his current contract that he won't be honouring the final year of. Nobody is asking for that cash to be returned.

The think is, outside of this season, he's fulfilled his contract obligations. I don't agree with how he went about things, but it is what it is.

I'm not overly concerned with other peoples money but I'm also not sure how his signing bonus works when he's loaned to an SHL team (do they pay it if his SHL salary exceeds what we would have paid him?). It could very well be that the sens didn't spend much if anything on him in terms of salary/signing bonus so there very well may be nothing to pay back.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
No one is asking the important question. Has he tendered his 2 week notice to Whole Foods yet?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Melnyk is going to sue him to get his money back, it's what he & other rich people do, ask Trump.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Pretty sure that Datsyuk collected 7 mil in signing bonuses on his current contract that he won't be honouring the final year of. Nobody is asking for that cash to be returned.

The think is, outside of this season, he's fulfilled his contract obligations. I don't agree with how he went about things, but it is what it is.

I'm not overly concerned with other peoples money but I'm also not sure how his signing bonus works when he's loaned to an SHL team (do they pay it if his SHL salary exceeds what we would have paid him?). It could very well be that the sens didn't spend much if anything on him in terms of salary/signing bonus so there very well may be nothing to pay back.

For Datsyuk, he doesn't get a signing bonus in addition to his base salary. Because signing bonuses aren't put into escrow, he can earn more money by reducing his base salary and replacing it with a bonus (check our Ryan O'Reilly's contract if you want to see a very player friendly structure). So in year one of his current three year deal, he earned 5 mill in base and a 5 million signing bonus. Year two he earned 5 mill in base and a 2 mill signing bonus. For year three (the one he will not be honouring), he won't be collecting a signing bonus and thus won't be taking money without honouring his deal. It puts the Wings in a terrible spot with regard to the cap but he's not just taking the money and walking.

The Wikstrand situation is different. According to Cap Friendly, signing bonuses on entry level contracts are paid annually. So, Wikstrand was paid $80, 000 in 2014, and then another $80, 000 in 2015 before he upped and left for Sweden without ever having played a game for the Sens. Look, obviously he's decided that he doesn't want to come over and play in NA which, whatever, it's his career. But the Sens are right to be furious with this kid and he should without question pay them back. What he's done is wrong on so many levels. I would sue.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
His ELC bonus was 80k paid out on July 1st each year for three years. If he signed with a Swedish team to a contract that supersedes ours then we do not need to fulfill our obligation since he has no intent on fulfilling his. As for the money already given, the Sens can inform his Swedish team they will only loan him if they are reimbursed for the bonus paid out, recouping the money.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
I'm surprised the signing hasn't been discussed in main stream media.

He's a 7th round pick who has never played a game for the Sens. They talked about it quite a bit back in October and November when he was still suspended but as of right now there's not a lot to discuss.

His ELC bonus was 80k paid out on July 1st each year for three years. If he signed with a Swedish team to a contract that supersedes ours then we do not need to fulfill our obligation since he has no intent on fulfilling his. As for the money already given, the Sens can inform his Swedish team they will only loan him if they are reimbursed for the bonus paid out, recouping the money.

Ah, so all is good then. That's fair.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Are people seriously upset about the 80k of someone else's money?

I'm upset we lost a decent looking prospect at a position where we really need help.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Here's the Swedish article confirming it.

Beware: bad google translation ahead:
VF sport could be back in April reveal that FBK was preparing a long-term contract for Mikael Wikstrand.

And now it is clear. Färjestad has signed a contract with the slope that extends over the next four seasons. Ottawa Senators still own the rights to Wikstrand, but lends him Färjestad BK in the final year of his contract.

Mikael Wikstrand:
- "I'm very happy in Karlstad and Färjestad BK with all that implies. The people here in the club from day one has taken good care of me so it feels just right. Now I know where I'll be a long time to come, which gives me a feeling of security. In a way it feels like you can pull on his shirt for the first time now that we seriously are involved from the beginning. It went well in the beginning of last season but it was the course ailment as time went on and never got clear whether he would be allowed to play or not. Now I know."

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
been a while since i've seen a guy with so much hype and potential seemingly have no intention or drive to play in the nhl after being drafted.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
been a while since i've seen a guy with so much hype and potential seemingly have no intention or drive to play in the nhl after being drafted.

We only have ourselves to blame for this one.

He has received almost zero hype outside of the Ottawa city limits. 3/4 of other NHL fanbases have probably never even heard his name before. Even among more diehard fans, he's probably more known for being "that kid who went back to Sweden because his brother was sick" than he is known for his hockey skill.

Heck, even casual Sens fans barely know much about him. Go ask the guy in Accounts Receivable with the Sens bobblehead on his desk for a scouting report on Wikstrand. I'd give you even odds that he can't do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad