Player Discussion Mikael Wikstrand part 2 AKA Karlsson 2.0

Skid

Sep 26, 2005
Canada
It's lunacy that we've had over 1000 posts about a guy who never played for us...

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
It's lunacy that we've had over 1000 posts about a guy who never played for us...

I think its in part because we've been pretty thin on defensive prospect with top 4 potential these last few years.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I think its in part because we've been pretty thin on defensive prospect with top 4 potential these last few years.

Also the circumstances surrounding the whole story. Not every day a prospect just skips town unannounced. It was definitely newsworthy.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So Wikstrand is Karlsson 2.0?

regardless I'd like to see him and Andy Englund over here and ready to compete for a spot , and in the farm honing their game, ready for a callup when needed.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Might be staying in sweden "long" (swedish club says the sens need to approve though)

http://www.vf.se/sport/ishockey/wikstrand-aktuell-langtidskontrakt

What if Ottawa says no? Will he come to NA, will he stay in Sweden, will Ottawa suspend him again? I guess he would be difficult to trade if he doesn't want to come over to NA or will he be open to being traded to another team? Too bad, he was a good asset that if he wasn't in Ottawa's future plans could be traded for a good piece.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I've had him in my fantasy league since early 2015. Would really like him to come over. Best chance at adding a high offence dman to my team.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'm ignorant to what the options are here, maybe someone can help out since I'm far from a CBA expert. Are the only options to terminate his contract or suspend him? Can we loan him out until his ELC expires and retain his exclusive NHL rights and if we did are we on the hook for his rookie signing bonuses if we did so?

If he wants to stay in Europe fine, that's his choice, he obviously shouldn't have signed with the Sens but circumstances change and there must be an ideal common ground to meet so he can get what he wants and the Sens aren't left hanging and get some compensation if he ever decides to pursue a NHL career.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The options as I understand them:

1. Mutual contract termination. Wikstrand immediately becomes an NHL UFA.

2. Sens refuse to loan Wikstrand to a Swedish team, he sits out and the Sens toll the final year of his ELC. He's essentially held hostage in this scenario.

3. The Sens loan Wikstrand to a Swedish club, his ELC expires at the end of the season and the team can retain his NHL rights until he turns 27 at which point he reaches UFA status.

4. He comes over and plays in the AHL/NHL.

I'm not entirely sure how ELC signing bonuses work, but I suspect that they are a one-time lump sum paid out upon signing and then the value is "averaged" over the term of the contract. So it's probably over and done with.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
At this point a little good will may go a long way when he moves into his mid to late 20's, has matured, and is ready to move overseas into the best league in the world.

Assuming he is a good player and all.

There is not much to lose here once it became clear that he was not going to come over.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Surprised he signed a 4 year contract in the SHL. You would think he would have parents advising him that his decision may change in a few years when he realizes he can make millions overseas living in luxury. Not to mention he may decide to play in a better league. 4 years is a long time. Especially at such a young age.

I wonder if the sens only allowed him to sign such a long deal ibecause there is an out clause? There must be.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Surprised he signed a 4 year contract in the SHL. You would think he would have parents advising him that his decision may change in a few years when he realizes he can make millions overseas living in luxury. Not to mention he may decide to play in a better league. 4 years is a long time. Especially at such a young age.

I wonder if the sens only allowed him to sign such a long deal ibecause there is an out clause? There must be.

He's a loser. Be thankful he's not on our team.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Not as long as the NHL is a contact league.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So many people spitting venom over a kid making a decision based on family rather than based on money.

So strange...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->