Speculation: Mikael Samuelsson Retires From Hockey

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Linus Hugosson
‏@linushugosson
Ex-NHL player Mikael Samuelsson, 38, retires from hockey. 37 games with Djurgården (SHL) this season, 26 points (13+13). #redwings #Canucks

Also here (in Swedish) : http://www.difhockey.se/artikel/5470/

There will not be another season in Djurgarden for Mikael Samuelsson. The 38 - year old forward opting instead to end hockey (roughly translated).

Good luck in your future endeavors!

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Maybe Holland can get him to reconsider, guy should be leading us into the playoffs

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Seems like a nice guy, best of luck to him in whatever he does.

And give him some credit, he's one of 25 guys to be in the Triple Gold Club. Stanley Cup, Olympic Gold Medal, World Championship. That's a rare accomplishment.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I remember that one game against Pittsburgh where he scored like 2 goals and looked really great

He had many more good moments than that. Scored an OT winner against Chicago in one of the Cup Finals runs. He suffers from the Cleary syndrome though because he was terrible his last couple of seasons here.

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
During last season's first game vs Buffalo, I remember Pierre McGuire saying "Any team with Samuelsson on their 4th line is a dangerous team." And right he was. :sarcasm:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Good career for sure. Was a solid player until the end, but injuries effectively took him out the last three seasons.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Another player like Cleary, who somewhat ruined his “legacy” with Detroit for his 2nd time around. That said, I will always appreciate his work for the team and he was a great player during the cup runs. He had some clutch moments for sure. Hope he enjoys retirement.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
As infuriating as he could be at times, he wasn't actually that bad a player. He was a solid, versatile, veteran middle six player. 23, 11, 14 and 19 goals in his 4 seasons here, and he was on a good value contract to boot.

Not to mention those clutch playoffs goals - a brace on the road to clinch the series in San Jose, 2 goals in the finals against Pittsburgh, the OT winner against Chicago.

The second spell though? What was Kenny thinking giving him a 2 year deal? smh.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Like most have said, had he not come back for his last contract he would be a great guy who was likely often forgotten in the coming years and would have been relatively unknown to future fans unless they really loved looking up older footage.

Unfortunately his last spell made his name very familiar in Detroit for a lot of the wrong reasons

He was a good soldier for us and I appreciated his effort a lot

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Man I remember when he was signed him for like $542k and most of us were like "who the **** is this guy?" Then we all loved him. Was a great fit and a huge steal in his early Detroit years.

Shame that that second stint sullied his name.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad