Value of: Mikael Granlund

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
If anyone gets him under $5M on a long-term deal, they'll be getting an absolute steal. I would've happily welcomed him back here if we didn't sign Zucc last season.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Granlund is at his best when feeding a sniper, handling the puck, and doing zone entries. Not a bad fit with Staal, as they are both very smart, but better to pair him with a shooter, and a grinder. You hate to break up Marchand, Bergeron, and Pasta, but a line of Pasta, Coyle/Studnicka, and Granlund wouldn't be the worst thing as a second line. He has some similarities to Krecji, except he isn't a C.

He might pair well with Olofsson in BUF.

Oh, and he's responsible defensively, but not excellent. His main thing is his vision, stickhandling, and ability to pass. He is near elite at those things. Average speed and strength. At least, that's what he used to be. No clue what he is now...seems too young to be finished.

The tragedy referred to- his second child being stillborn- happened in the spring of 2020, didn't it? He has been mediocre for well over a year before that. Don't see how that can be blamed for his poor play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aldo Montoya

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
He reminds me a lot of Teravainen in the sense that he was very hyped but failed to deliver as expected. Like he’s playing at 80% of his potential. Teravainen woke up after getting to Carolina so maybe Granlund can wake up as well in another team?

His hockey IQ seems above average and he sure has talent, just look at his Michigan goal against Russia in the World Championships some years ago.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Think Avs will buy low on him like they did burakovsky and greatly benefit.

Reactions: Conbon

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He was a horrible fit in Nashville. Someone will likely get a steal in Granlund if the contract is reasonable.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Can he actually play center?
Can he? Well, technically he can. But a) he's better at wing, and b) you can get a better center. He didn't really play center for the Preds, although he took some draws or lined up in his later PK roles sometimes at center, depending on the pair. We had 6 players who are better at center than him, so we never really got around to trying him at center to try to break him out of his funk. You'd probably end up in that situation too. But if you were totally short-staffed, then yeah, he could play center. For a while. He has enough overall smarts and is responsible enough to get by. Then you'd eventually realize that you want an upgrade.

Put it this way: Kyle Turris is much better at center than Granlund would be. Are you that desperate?

Reactions: Bond

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
He could actually be a good fit in Calgary but they can't afford the cap space to give him anywhere near 4-5M.
3M x 2-3yrs maybe?
I'm sure another team will beat that offer but who knows these days.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Can he actually play center?

Speaking as someone that saw him play both C and RW extensively: Yes, but he should play RW. He went from being a mediocre (and at times struggling) 2nd line center to an excellent #1 RW when he got switched to that role. Then something happened to him in January of 19, and his production took a nosedive. It hasn't really recovered.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There are rumors that Kekalainen has been trying to acquire Granlund for a while now. The team certainly needs a high end playmaker.

I want to know:

- Why did he struggle in Nashville? They tried him with every linemate didn't they? I want a detailed picture. Any tactical issues?

- How good is he in transition? Can he carry blueline to blueline? Can he be the primary puck-carrier on his line?

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I'd offer something like 4.5M-5.5M for 4 years pretty easily, I'd do 5 years at 5M but that's the longest id sign him for

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Was hoping the Avs would acquire him at the deadline, think he could put the finishing touches on our 2nd line with Kadri and Burakovsky

Yup, I think Granlund will be pretty high on Joe's list. I don't think there are any players that Joe will be willing to bend over backwards for, but if Granlund wants to improve his stock on a 1-2 year deal I don't think he'll find a better fit than the Avs. He'll either be playing with Mack or feeding Kadri + Burakovsky.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah like the Flames biggest hole is at RW. I’d like Granlund because he’s a skilled player and good playmaker.

I’d probably offer 3 years @ 4 per.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Maybe if Montreal can’t land Laine Mantha dandonov Hoffman Rakell , maybe a 1 yr expensive deal . 6.5 ish Still leaves a chance for Granlund to re-up next year and Montreal a chance to reassess options at seasons end . Leaves 4 million approximately for deadline deals . Would Detroit consider domi , mete, the 16th and a second rounder for number 4 Habs select Drysdale or Rossi

llp

Jun 2, 2008
For anyone who watched him in Minnesota, did he play with Eric Staal much and how did they do together? Buffalo has some cap space and a need for a Top 6 RW. I'd think we could offer him the Johansson deal fairly easily (2 years 4.5 mil) and I think there'd be a draw for Granlund if he played well with Staal
Zucker Staal Granlund in 16-17 was probably the best line the Wild ever had.

Reactions: TunaBoss44

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
No returns or exchanges.

I’d say 2 yrs st $3M cap.

1yr removed from 54p and 49p was in 63gp on Wild , before that 69p and 67p. He was a bad fit in Nashville. I dont see him taking 3M as a UFA. That contract would be along the best in league for a two-way 1-2 line winger. Put him with some finnishers and he`ll thrive

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Had 40 point seasons in the NHL as a center.

"Can't play center". Ok.

And yes - he's a premium penalty killer who has also got some Selke votes in the history IIRC.
I'd love to see proof of these "Selke votes" he received. There is zero chance that happend. I'd take Granlund in Vancouver to play RW next to Gaudette if he signs at a good price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad