Value of: Mikael Granlund

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
28-year old.

Can play all forward positions.

69 and 67 point seasons in a row three years ago.

0.65 career regular season ppg. 0.49 career playoff ppg.

Excellent defensively.

Coming to test the UFA market off from a 5,75M contract.

What is his value? What kind of contract will he get? Let's say the max 7 years - what's the cap hit?

Which teams are most interested of him?

Which teams would be the best fits?

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
28-year old.

Excellent defensively.

What is his value? What kind of contract will he get? Let's say the max 7 years - what's the cap hit?

Well...

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I'm interested in him on the Habs (fellow fans don't agree) but only if he wants a short term deal (1 year). That might work for him if he wants to prove he's still a 65 pts player.

Reactions: Dutronc

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm interested in him on the Habs (fellow fans don't agree) but only if he wants a short term deal (1 year). That might work for him if he wants to prove he's still a 65 pts player.
It's hard to know what the NHL UFA market is really going to look like, but I think this sort of deal would probably be a reasonable gamble for Granlund to take. Find a team where he thinks he can fit in well and be productive, sign for something like his current salary on a 1-year Show Me deal, and then hope to cash in with the long-term deal next year. Because it seems doubtful to me that anybody would sign him long-term at big money in the current environment.

Maybe there is a 5x$5M deal out there for him somewhere. But if there's not, then $5M for 1-year and the hope of something more like $6M or $7M per on a 6- or 7-year deal next off-season could pay off for him.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
28-year old.

Excellent defensively.

He can't play center, and he is far from excellent defensively

Reactions: Linds

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
He can't play center, and he is far from excellent defensively
Had 40 point seasons in the NHL as a center.

"Can't play center". Ok.

And yes - he's a premium penalty killer who has also got some Selke votes in the history IIRC.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Wild fan here. Most of us will be quick to discredit granny being a center but forget that he looked good at times with his best line being Parise and Pominville for the most part.

He took off on wing for us and we just never really looked back. You got to wonder what he'd do with fiala and kaprizov talent flanking him.

Hes not a #1 c if thats what you're hoping for, but if you can flank him with talent and have a center to take on the true #1 duties and let granny get the easy minutes he could be surprise people in my opinion.

Reactions: Bluesguru

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Can he emulate what Frolik did as a 28 year old?
(Defensively sound winger who can chip in for many centre duties, but is not as great as the pure centre on the line?)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe. I think he has to prove to teams that he is more than a third liner. How much is a third line Wing worth at this point?

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'd say he's better as as a winger. But with the lack of any other pending UFA players at the C position, there's no doubt that teams needing a C will consider him.

Who else is on the free agent market at the C position? Haula, Eakin... *thinks for a moment* Koivu! umm... Has Jumbo Joe said he'll keep playing? *thinks some more* ... Soderberg, and.... Janmark?

Has Galchenyuk left for the KHL yet?

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Maybe. I think he has to prove to teams that he is more than a third liner. How much is a third line Wing worth at this point?
His production last year in terms of ppg was a high end third liner or a borderline second liner.

186 top6 forwards in the league technically. Granlund's ppg was ~180th. And he's in the better half of those players in terms of defensive play.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I remember Granlund played one game as a center during his last season in Minnesota. He finished the game at -5 and I don't recall him playing C after that.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I`d offer a 4,5-5M 1yr "show-me" deal. He is ideal 2nd line wing and can also step to 1st line. I`d think he would thrive on a team like Oilers, feeding McDavid and Drai. He is also defensively sound and could stay a bit behind when McDavid skates through opponents defense...

TunaBoss44

Oct 30, 2015
Buffalo
For anyone who watched him in Minnesota, did he play with Eric Staal much and how did they do together? Buffalo has some cap space and a need for a Top 6 RW. I'd think we could offer him the Johansson deal fairly easily (2 years 4.5 mil) and I think there'd be a draw for Granlund if he played well with Staal

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Had 40 point seasons in the NHL as a center.

"Can't play center". Ok.

And yes - he's a premium penalty killer who has also got some Selke votes in the history IIRC.
40 point seasons when you're given 1st line ice-time and 1st unit PP time, means you can't play center.

Granlund was very good defensively when he was on Koivu's wing. Not so much when he played with any other center, and he was terrible when he was at center.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
For anyone who watched him in Minnesota, did he play with Eric Staal much and how did they do together? Buffalo has some cap space and a need for a Top 6 RW. I'd think we could offer him the Johansson deal fairly easily (2 years 4.5 mil) and I think there'd be a draw for Granlund if he played well with Staal
Granlund was very good on Staal's wing.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I`d offer a 4,5-5M 1yr "show-me" deal. He is ideal 2nd line wing and can also step to 1st line. I`d think he would thrive on a team like Oilers, feeding McDavid and Drai. He is also defensively sound and could stay a bit behind when McDavid skates through opponents defense...
The Oilers already sent one Granlund packing to Europe/KHL (Markus).

Edmonton would probably be the last place Mikael Granlund would want to play.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
The Oilers already sent one Granlund packing to Europe/KHL (Markus).

Edmonton would probably be the last place Mikael Granlund would want to play.

I wouldnt bet on it. Playing with McDavid or Draisaitl or maybe both could be tempting? Atleast on a short deal when he can pump his value. Could also be that if they connect he could sign longterm

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
He had one very sad personal life event happen to him while he was in Nashville, which for sure affected his play
1 year 4-5 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->