Prospect Info: Mikael Granlund V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Esan Tikkane "bashes" wild coaching:
http://www.suomikiekko.com/2013/03/...sta-ymmartaako-paavalmentaja-kiekosta-mitaan/

Now my finnish is not that good, but from what I've gathered he is wondering if the minnesota coaching staff understands anything about hockey at all? Also saying that Granlund should be wing and not center.

I'll translate.

-Has Granlund been a disappointment? We should rather be asking if Mike Yeo knows anything about hockey.

-Recall Granlund to NHL and put him as winger, and things will start happening.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
That's quite harsh but i agree that he should be winger for now.

This.

When he came to SM-liiga, he was a winger. When he started his national team career, he was a winger. Worked both times.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
While I'm in agreement, I think they should have tried him at wing. I think he could definitely use some time with the Aeros. Lot of the kids are playing well, but I would like to see most of them at least get a full year down in Houston. Brodin could probably get a pass on that theory though.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Granlund's problems in the offensive zone had nothing to do with him being a center.

That's kinda boneheaded statement. Of course it did! The shifts he took he was constantly too low, thinking defense first and sure his confidence suffered because of his troubles in the d-zone. On wing he could've started to think more offensively and even positioning would have come more naturally now that he doesn't have to fear being out of defensive position.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
That's kinda boneheaded statement. Of course it did! The shifts he took he was constantly too low, thinking defense first and sure his confidence suffered because of his troubles in the d-zone. On wing he could've started to think more offensively and even positioning would have come more naturally now that he doesn't have to fear being out of defensive position.
Ah no.

Granlund's offensive problems were that he was weak on the puck, fumbled it too much, didn't go to the open areas, and panicked when he got surrounded by Dmen on the half wall.

Most those problems were mental and none of them have to do with playing center versus wing.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Esa Tikkane "bashes" wild coaching:
http://www.suomikiekko.com/2013/03/...sta-ymmartaako-paavalmentaja-kiekosta-mitaan/

Now my finnish is not that good, but from what I've gathered he is wondering if the minnesota coaching staff understands anything about hockey at all? Also saying that Granlund should be wing and not center.

I agree that the next time he is up in the NHL he should be tried at wing. But, it is irrelevant at this time. The team is playing great and Granlund is in the AHL where he can improve his game so he is better prepared the next time he is recalled.

Caior89

Mar 31, 2011
Ah no.

Granlund's offensive problems were that he was weak on the puck, fumbled it too much, didn't go to the open areas, and panicked when he got surrounded by Dmen on the half wall.

Most those problems were mental and none of them have to do with playing center versus wing.

As much as i want Granlund to succeed u said everything, it was really easy to see. Looking in the bright side he was starting to get more comfortable in his last games. I believe Yeo and the coaches probably tried playing him as a winger in practice but got the conclusion that it was for his best development playing as a center for an all around game.

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
If I remember right didn't Granlund look a lot better at wing when he tried it that one game this year? I'm not saying him playing center is the cause of his struggles but he did look more confident at wing in my opinion.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If I remember right didn't Granlund look a lot better at wing when he tried it that one game this year? I'm not saying him playing center is the cause of his struggles but he did look more confident at wing in my opinion.

Yes he did, but he also looked better at center when he was on the fourth line. It's not a positional thing with Granlund. He'll be a fine center in the league, he just needs time to learn and grow.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
I do regret that MG wasn't given a chance to continue to grow with the rest of the team. IMO he was getting noticeably better, and may have turned a corner and be getting great XP right now had he stayed with the team.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I do regret that MG wasn't given a chance to continue to grow with the rest of the team. IMO he was getting noticeably better, and may have turned a corner and be getting great XP right now had he stayed with the team.

But think of all the PvP he is going to be doing in Houston. He's just gotta grind up for a few games. I wouldn't worry. He's going to get a ton of XP and level up soon enough.

Billy Mays Here*

The problem is that no matter how much XP he gains, his faceoff and poise ratings are never going to improve because EA sucks and doesn't fix what needs fixing.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
IMO, if this were a full 82 game schedule, Granlund would still be in Minnesota. But, because we are in the stretch run and only 19 games to go, there just isn't time to throw him in the line-up and watch him grow when there are better options that can help us win games now and get into the playoffs.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Granlund will be fine. Training camp/preseason is a month long. That's a lot of time lost. Add in most times are "trying things out" for the first 10 games. That's another month. All of that was lost to Granlund.

It's good that he got to play in the AHL for a while, but that's not enough to expect him to jump into an NHL top-6.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Agree with Schultz.
Minny created the "problem" by publically announcing before camp he was their second line center.
He clearly is not ready, as many young players will need some physical maturity.
He will I believe be a good NHL'er someday.
The Finnish posters relax. He has to earn his time, nobody to blame like a CDN player(Bulmer, Phillips etc) or an American, just not sure why fingers are being pointed at Yeo or the organization. Is he was ready he would be playing, its that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->