Player Discussion Mikael Granlund IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think the term is more of a question than the AAV currently. Will his game hold up like a St Louis or will it fall off like a Pommer in his last couple of years here?
Pominville has 15pts in 17 games.

I think Granlund will last longer than someone like Zucker, because his game is based on vision and IQ, not speed.

He's the type that you will never question his work ethic, and because he doesn't rely on physical skills to get where he is as much as others, like Cullen, he's less likely to tail off so soon imo.

No, I don't think he'll be playing at the age of 42 though... :laugh:

In other words, I have zero concern about his ability to be worth it for the vast majority of the deal.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Pominville has 15pts in 17 games.

I think Granlund will last longer than someone like Zucker, because his game is based on vision and IQ, not speed.

He's the type that you will never question his work ethic, and because he doesn't rely on physical skills to get where he is as much as others, like Cullen, he's less likely to tail off so soon imo.

No, I don't think he'll be playing at the age of 42 though... :laugh:

In other words, I have zero concern about his ability to be worth it for the vast majority of the deal.

That's why I said Pommer's last couple of year's here. Pommer had a hot start last year too (PPG pace is first 12 games), fell off a cliff (16p in 63 games), and finished strong (6p in 7 games). He's always been a streaky player so I'm waiting to see if he falls off a cliff again. The guy is still my favorite player, warts and all, so I watch more Buffalo games than I should.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
eh, you worry about Signing Granlund when you come to it. When he signed his deal, we still didn't know what he was, a 60+ pt. player or a mid 40's type player. Unless he wants a ridiculous contract, we happily pay him for work well done.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Granlund is 150 games plus playoffs away from needing a new contract. A lot of the numbers being thrown around at this point are just silly. Right now he's probably a $7M player, for him to get anywhere near the $8m-$9M numbers being brought up, he would have to put up 2 great seasons and playoff runs. If that happens, I can't imagine too many fans will be upset with having to pay the kid.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
I would give him 7M if he keeps up this way and is around 70-80 point player. Wild need Granny's type of two way playmaking winger. Just inherit him Koivu's C and that would be perfect.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
First Finnish player this season to break 10 goal barrier and naturally leading Finnish Rocket trophy. Way to Granny!

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
There is no reason to insult him with a 7M offer. You might as well tell him to go to Florida or Nashville, get 8M, which translates to 9M and enjoy the sun or the Cup.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
It's nice but you have to take "on pace" with a grain of salt this early on. Unless you believe Pastrnak is going to score 77 goals.

I'm well aware. It was more like surprise due to how much he's actually using his shot this year instead of trying to force passes. (like he has done since Liiga days)

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Although I think Boston underpaid him, I think Pastrnak's 6 year $40,000,000 contract is a good comparable.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Although I think Boston underpaid him, I think Pastrnak's 6 year $40,000,000 contract is a good comparable.

They really aren't comparable: RFA to UFA, flat cap vs raising cap, age.

With an $85m cap; which is probably low for 2 years from now; Pasta's 8.9% cap would equal ~$7.5m.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So let's just say that this year and next matches his last 2 years (20+ goals and 60+ points). I know he's pacing above that right now but whatever. He'll be 28 and a half when the first season of his new deal kicks in.

Trying to find a somewhat recent comparable, maybe take Couture and adjust down for positional importance and playoff production (so far).

Couture signed $8 x 8 for ~10% of the cap. Cap might be ~$82M when his time comes around, so $8.2M, knock about a million off and settle in $7 - $7.5 range on a long-term deal. Maybe not the full 8 years, but in the 6-8 range.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Further research shows the best upcoming comparables would be Mark Stone and Artemi Panarin. Both are UFA's, wings and similar point production. Can probably get a rough estimation of MG's contract when they sign.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Further research shows the best upcoming comparables would be Mark Stone and Artemi Panarin. Both are UFA's, wings and similar point production. Can probably get a rough estimation of MG's contract when they sign.
Let's hope Panarin signs in FLA and takes the no-state-income-tax discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad