Player Discussion Mikael Granlund IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
after granlund blocked a shot and hobbled off anyone else think he should have not played the rest of the LA game?

No, looked like a stinger to me, which is exactly what it was. Kind of like hitting your funny bone, leg goes numb, and 5 minutes later you're fine.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
after granlund blocked a shot and hobbled off anyone else think he should have not played the rest of the LA game?
No. That happens to at least one player every game. He also got tagged in the schmozzle by Phaneuf?, which I thought was a penalty. Last I heard, face checking wasn't a thing.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
still very frustrated that MiG is playing the wrong half wall on the PP, especially when one of Spurgeon/Dumba can be playing the other. When he is one the right half wall his shot is a threat, when he isn't, it isn't. It's not like Spurgeon or Dumba are chopped liver from the left half wall.

Zucker looks ill suited to one timers, and long range shots. I like him, and his ability to score, but that usually happens when he is in motion. The Wild PP, as it is now, is very stationary...Zucker is not a LH Ovi type with a howitzer. Dmen are usually more used to that type of shot, and certainly a slapper.

Hopefully Kunin develops into a RH shot threat in the future?

Reactions: Digitalbooya

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
No, but I am really good at diagnosing injuries through a television set, so it was expected. :facepalm:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
still very frustrated that MiG is playing the wrong half wall on the PP, especially when one of Spurgeon/Dumba can be playing the other. When he is one the right half wall his shot is a threat, when he isn't, it isn't. It's not like Spurgeon or Dumba are chopped liver from the left half wall.

Zucker looks ill suited to one timers, and long range shots. I like him, and his ability to score, but that usually happens when he is in motion. The Wild PP, as it is now, is very stationary...Zucker is not a LH Ovi type with a howitzer. Dmen are usually more used to that type of shot, and certainly a slapper.

Hopefully Kunin develops into a RH shot threat in the future?
Granlund on the left side isn't the problem, Zucker trying to hit one-timers is.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Team is playing great, yet i still cant feel excited. Probably gonna get ran out of these forums but i personally believe Granny is just not going to be worth the long term investment given the state of the team and our window imo, and we should try and cash in on what looks like going to be his best season so far. I mean hes going to have all the leverage for this deal, we asked him to take short term for less and to also kinda of "prove it" and he has. Hes going to want 6.5+ and i just cant stomach that unless Granny has some other Dynamic player to really get full investment and the years out of him.

Deep down i hope we crash and burn just so we can also cash in on players like Staal/Coyle & maybe Nino at deadline.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You want to give up on the next 5-6 years already?

You realize we have Kaprizov coming in 2 years?

I don't get the logic. Don't invest in Granlund because we're not good and don't have a franchise player... then if/when we get a franchise player, we'll suddenly be desperate to find someone like Granlund that we might be unable to find. Look what happened in the Gaborik years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bazeek

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
How much do you guys figure he's going to get paid when his current contract expires?
Somewhere between $7-8m/yr based on his recent seasons.

If he keeps up the pace he's on right now though? Possibly between $8-9m/yr.

I know those numbers look big, but keep in mind that when Koivu signed his $7m/yr deal, that was a much larger cap % than it is today. Top players are regularly getting much larger deals now. Eichel signed for $10m/yr, and cap max deals are now close to $16m/yr.

So the number looks big compared to what we're used to on this team, but if he holds on for 30-40g and 75-85pts, he's earned it. (Current pace is 46g and 87pts)

I'd be shocked if he's not extended next summer.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That's a tough one without knowing where the cap is going to be and a new CBA staring the NHL in the face.
We can go by general market tendencies for a ball park idea though, and expansion has brought the cap up, as likely the next round of expansion will continue.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Somewhere between $7-8m/yr.

If he is signing this off-season, I'd agree. I think by the end of next season he'll be about 8.5million AAV, and a long contract, if his offensive numbers stay the same as the last 2 seasons. I guess at that point he'd be on the open market, so it may be even higher. I know he got a shorter deal to keep the cost down on this last deal, but signing him to age 28 was a terrible idea. I didn't like the contract then, and I like it less now. I would have preferred it to have been about 2 or 3 years longer in term, because now I'm unsure if he'll be worth the higher cost long term as an older player. Of course it would have meant needing to trade Nino or Brodin for cap space.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Somewhere between $7-8m/yr based on his recent seasons.

If he keeps up the pace he's on right now though? Possibly between $8-9m/yr.

I know those numbers look big, but keep in mind that when Koivu signed his $7m/yr deal, that was a much larger cap % than it is today. Top players are regularly getting much larger deals now. Eichel signed for $10m/yr, and cap max deals are now close to $16m/yr.

So the number looks big compared to what we're used to on this team, but if he holds on for 30-40g and 75-85pts, he's earned it. (Current pace is 46g and 87pts)

I'd be shocked if he's not extended next summer.
No no, i think that's correct. If Kane gets 7 mil as UFA and he's arguably a lot less valuable than Granlund, then 8 mil sounds about right.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If he is signing this off-season, I'd agree. I think by the end of next season he'll be about 8.5million AAV, and a long contract, if his offensive numbers stay the same as the last 2 seasons. I guess at that point he's on the open maker, so it may be even higher. I know he got a shorter deal to keep the cost down on this last deal, but signing him to age 28 was a terrible idea. I didn't like the contract then, and I like it less now. I would have preferred it to have been about 2 or 3 years longer in term, because now I'm unsure if he'll be worth the higher cost long term as an older player. Of course it would have meant needing to trade Nino or Brodin for cap space.
Like I said, if this season ends up like previous, that's the range. If it's longer term, you have to expect pay will decrease on the back end as his performance will be expected to start tailing off in it, which will help a bit in the AAV.

He will be 34 at the end of a 7yr deal after all. Which is in his best interest for having his deal end.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Like I said, if this season ends up like previous, that's the range. If it's longer term, you have to expect pay will decrease on the back end as his performance will be expected to start tailing off in it, which will help a bit in the AAV.

He will be 34 at the end of a 7yr deal after all. Which is in his best interest for having his deal end.

Yeah, I gotcha. I was just agreeing with you, and also commenting on what the cost could be if he holds out for the open market.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah, I gotcha. I was just agreeing with you, and also commenting on what the cost could be if he holds out for the open market.
He's likely going to be a high priority for Fenton next offseason. Granlund likes it here, so I doubt he'd be against an extension then.

Gotta love Finns, they like it in Finnesota. ;)

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think the term is more of a question than the AAV currently. Will his game hold up like a St Louis or will it fall off like a Pommer in his last couple of years here?

Reactions: grN1g
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad