Mikael Granlund - from overhyped prospect to underrated nhler?

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
Since moving to NP Last 10 gp 0+2
I haven't watched him at all in Nashville. What's up? How has he played, is he still creating chances but is just snakebitten or just straight up playing bad? Who are his most common linemates?

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I haven't watched him at all in Nashville. What's up? How has he played, is he still creating chances but is just snakebitten or just straight up playing bad? Who are his most common linemates?
When he was traded to Nashville it was reported that he was having a kid with some chick that he knocked up. This was right around the same time as he got traded. He even missed a few games because his kid was born. Having a chick and a child that you have to support can seriously mess with some players game. And some players are never the same after they start a family. Part of why Jagr was so spectacular was that he never tied himself down and was single for his whole career.

Granlund had 11+25=36 points in his first 36 games and just 5+12=17 points in his last 41 games. So it's clear that having a kid hasn't helped his numbers. But hopefully Granlund can bounce back next season. He's after all been through setbacks before and even managed to get over what happened during the 2012 World Championship...

Reactions: MNRube and Murzu

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
What happened during 2012 Championship? Can't remember but it was in Helsinki.

Granlund will be fine. He's a ppg two way forward soon going forward and that's good.
Well Finland didn't play as good as expected and there was also another incident. Unfortunately this site won't allow to go into the details of that, but you can google it yourself to find out.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I remember there were a *LOT* of Wild posters on HF trying to convince people that Granlund was the undisputed best prospect in the world. It was really obnoxious.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

The game I watched he played with Sissons and Turris. Also not on 1st power play at that point.

2020 UFA here we come.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
When he was traded to Nashville it was reported that he was having a kid with some chick that he knocked up. This was right around the same time as he got traded. He even missed a few games because his kid was born. Having a chick and a child that you have to support can seriously mess with some players game. And some players are never the same after they start a family. Part of why Jagr was so spectacular was that he never tied himself down and was single for his whole career.

Granlund had 11+25=36 points in his first 36 games and just 5+12=17 points in his last 41 games. So it's clear that having a kid hasn't helped his numbers. But hopefully Granlund can bounce back next season. He's after all been through setbacks before and even managed to get over what happened during the 2012 World Championship...
2012 WJC I think. Not WHC.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't know who has been most disappointing with his new team, Granlund, or Coyle. Probably Granlund, because expectations were higher, but both have been underwhelming. MiG has been mediocre all of 2019. It's surprising, because he was consistently good for the previous two years, coinciding with when he was moved to LW in 2016.

As much I hate to say it, MulletMan's post possibly has some kernels of truth in it.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think he's not 100%. His decline in production started months ago when he was taking some practice days off and reportedly dealing with some sort of injury. Hasn't been bad enough to keep him out of the lineup though.

Just looks a bit more sluggish than usual.

Although Preds fans have been happy with his defensive plays (in comparison to Fiala) from what i've seen.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
There were groin injury rumors before he was traded. He wasn't attending practice etc. I'm thinking he might get surgery during summer.

I remember there were a *LOT* of Wild posters on HF trying to convince people that Granlund was the undisputed best prospect in the world. It was really obnoxious.

Who were the other prospects back then?

Prediculous

May 11, 2018
Redding, CA
Granlund is just another victim of the Preds system. Hes a good player, but I'd be surprised if McDavid could crack 90 points in this system and I wish I was joking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->