Mikael Granlund - from overhyped prospect to underrated nhler?

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
As for his game in the present, he's one of the most creative playmakers I've ever seen. He attempts passes regularly that I've only seen maybe 3 or 4 guys before him ever even try, and he completes them. Those 3 or 4 guys have names like "Gretzky" and "Lemieux". If Granlund had the goal scoring chops to match his playmaking skill, he'd be a superstar.

This is why I fell in love with Granny as a player. When he's on his game, his playmaking is truly something to behold. I think he'd been like a fish in water in those old Soviet Red Machine teams.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Zucker is the perfect winger for Granlund, but would have loved to have seen him with a young Koivu, or if we're going into fantasy land, how about a young Gaborik also?

Keep shooting MiG!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think people can put to rest whether last year was a fluke at this point.

40pts in 45 games, 73pt pace
15 goals, 27 goal pace
25 assists, 46 assist pace

And again, that was with a slow start just like last season... 1pt in the first 5 games and then slowly ratcheted his game up from there... now has 13pts in his last 10 games.

He had 11pts in 14 games in Dec, and had 13pts in 11 games in Jan.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
Remember all those thousands of posts about Finnish Baby Jesus? Granlund was the first legit NHL prospect from Finland in 10 years. Finns worried so much about their future as a hockey country that when they finally got someone with real talent they went absolutely nuts. That's why Granlund was compared to Crosby etc.

Granlund didn't exactly light up the NHL when he finally came over and even the most fanatic MiG-fans realized that maybe their favourite player wasn't really the best player in the world after all.

Expectations were absurd and MiG has had a lot of trouble at making his style of play work in NA hockey. Smart player that he is, he's been able to overcome those difficulties: he improved his skating via figure skating coach, worked on his shot and studied the defensive side of the game as well as he could. He always had a very high hockey IQ and was a fantastic playmaker.

Last year he finally broke out. He got to play wing (he's always been winger in the national team as well) and with his improved qualities he has been shining ever since. 69 points last year and 20+ goals which many doubt he would ever score in this league. With 36 points in 41 games this season he's proving it wasn't a fluke.

He really looks fantastic out there: he's dangerous every shift and creates scoring chances from a very harmless looking situations all the time. Since that was his "original strength", I've been most impressed by his defensive abilities. He's a very good penalty killer and he's positioning in the defensive zone is one of the best I've seen.

Your thoughts?
He might be, but I do watch enough Wild games to determine if I am right.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
CGRVPc8.gif

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
He got his encumbering cross to be carried. Not least for this:

He carried his cross with bride, successfully.

Not underrated at all. Overrating made his path more difficult than it would've been without the Hype.

(The Archetypal Example of Finnish Hockey-hype)

Edit: Pun intended

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
2nd 4-point game for Granlund after he started playing with Staal instead of Koivu. Even in some other games where he hasn't scored he's been the most visible forward on the ice.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
2nd 4-point game for Barkov after he started playing with Staal instead of Koivu. Even in some other games where he hasn't scored he's been the most visible forward on the ice.

Granlund has been very good, but Staal is Da Man, and Zucker ain't bad, either. Also got a little man on the back end who could teach all of them a thing or two about clutchness and high end hockey IQ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad