Value of: Mikael Granlund as a UFA

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
“IF”, that’s the key. Add in the fact he’s a undersized winger who will be 28 and the comparable to Hayes doesn’t fit based on position. GM’s seem much more willing to over pay centres verses other positions.

For the record I hate the Hayes contract and think $5 million would have been more than fair for him. I’d peg Granlund around $6 million tops.

Granlund is at 5.75 right now. He has another 65-70 point season and there's not a chance in hell that6 is the most he gets. If he has a bad full season and only puts up 45-50 points? Then maybe.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don’t think you know Hayes very well.

Are you here to present an argument that Kevin Hayes is a better player than Mikael Granlund?
Because I would be very interested in seeing it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Are you here to present an argument that Kevin Hayes is a better player than Mikael Granlund?
Because I would be very interested in seeing it.

No I don’t see the point in presenting an argument about anything, think there is way too many pissing matches at this section of hfboards.

To be honest, I think it’s very pointless to compare Hayes with Granlund. Hayes is a — much — stronger player at carrying a line in the NHL. Granlund has insane offensive instincts, but of course not the 2-way game of many better players in this league. They are very different players.

Hence why I made that comment. I mean GMs going after Hayes do it to fill a hole in the lineup that is seen as being very hard to fill. To say without further comment that Granlund is easily better than Hayes is way to much based on pure stats looking, and you can’t really have much knowledge of the two players to come to that conclusion.

So in short, my point is not that Hayes is a better player than Granlund, if Granlund gets back to form this year he will get paid and 7m per is certainly a possibility. But there is easily teams out there who Hayes holds more value for, and vice versa.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No I don’t see the point in presenting an argument about anything, think there is way too many pissing matches at this section of hfboards.

To be honest, I think it’s very pointless to compare Hayes with Granlund. Hayes is a — much — stronger player at carrying a line in the NHL. Granlund has insane offensive instincts, but of course not the 2-way game of many better players in this league. They are very different players.

Hence why I made that comment. I mean GMs going after Hayes do it to fill a hole in the lineup that is seen as being very hard to fill. To say without further comment that Granlund is easily better than Hayes is way to much based on pure stats looking, and you can’t really have much knowledge of the two players to come to that conclusion.

So in short, my point is not that Hayes is a better player than Granlund, if Granlund gets back to form this year he will get paid and 7m per is certainly a possibility. But there is easily teams out there who Hayes holds more value for, and vice versa.
I think (know) you don’t know Granlund very well.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

But Granlund wouldn’t be a driver if you put him at center and matched him up against Crosby, Backstrom and the other best centers in the metropolitan — for example.

And Hayes out scores Granlund by a wide margin 5 on 5.

But would I rather have Granlund on a PP? Of course. Different players.

Care to explain? I am sure I’ve followed him over a much longer period than you have.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Care to explain? I am sure I’ve followed him over a much longer period than you have.

I am certain I've followed him much more recently than you have. Frankly I don't care what kind of player he was when he was in Finland, which is the only time you would have followed him that I didn't.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
It's gonna be hard to resign him and extend Josi, you guys will need to move bonino+turris and probably not resign Craig Smith to make it work cap-wise Because I dont see Josi signing for less then 9,5-10M and Granlund is not resigning for less then 6.5M

Granlund and Smith are going to be an either/or situation as far as resigning. Right now, the only way I see us keeping Smith over Granlund is if Granlund does in fact ask for an astronomical number and won't budge.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Granlund and Smith are going to be an either/or situation as far as resigning. Right now, the only way I see us keeping Smith over Granlund is if Granlund does in fact ask for an astronomical number and won't budge.
Granlund is edging towards getting an offer sooner rather than later, I would hope. Granted, he hasn't put up the points yet that his linemates have. But he's fitting in quite well.

I'd offer him a 6x$7M pretty soon if he keeps this up.

It would definitely make signing Smith impossible. But that's all it would cost us, nobody else would need to be moved. It's only $1.25M more than he's already getting, after all, so we'll have ample room for him and Josi both. Just not him and Josi and Smith. Moving Turris or Bonino only enters the discussion if we want to find a way to keep Smith too.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If Granlund has one of those big boy 70+ point seasons, he can command around $8m. If he goes to UFA, someone will pay him $8.5m for sure if he is a guy they think can play on their top line (thinking of Jeff Skinner as a comparable)

If he has a merely pedestrian 50 point season, you will probably see him sign long-term at closer to $7m-$7.5m.

If he has a horrible season, you will probably see him take a one year deal.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
It's very early but Granlund has looked ****ing great on that top line with Forsberg and Duchene. If he keeps this up, I would love for the Preds to get him re-signed. We could quite easily sign both him and Josi.

So the coach finally figured out that Granlund is a top10 1st passer in the league and great in possession entries?

Bad news, I though we will get him back on very cheap deal.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Shonky

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Why keep smith? I understand granlund but u have Tolvanen waiting for a spot smith shouldnt be back with the preds if its gunna take extra moves to keep him

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Why keep smith? I understand granlund but u have Tolvanen waiting for a spot smith shouldnt be back with the preds if its gunna take extra moves to keep him

He's good for 20 goals just about every year, not a game breaker but he works hard every game and is dependable.
If Granlund played like he did post trade deadline all year there's a case to be made for Smith to get an inexpensive raise and dropping Granlund to make room for Tolvanen.

But, yes, if Granlund continues his chemistry throughout the season then Smith gets dropped and Tolvanen comes in on his ELC so we can re-sign Josi and Granlund.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

Smith is a lock for 20 goals every year.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Smith is a solid player. Ordinarily I'd be very inclined to keep him. But he's 30 now and probably commands something like a 5x$5M deal? Assuming we do keep Granlund, our payroll has simply outgrown being able to pay that for Smith too.

Although if Granlund did walk - it would be a nice little consolation to find that we could then keep Smith.

Or in a completely different direction... if we found a new home for one of our extra centers (Bonino or Turris) during the off-season, then keeping Smith could come back on the table. I'd rather keep Smith than Turris, anyway. But I'm not confident about Poile finding a trade he likes. It's easier to just accept the default path as Smith vs. Granlund.

There are various carts arranged before horses in all this, of course.

Shonky

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Smith is a lock for 20 goals every year.
I know i didnt mean it in a way that would reflect poorly on smith it was more so that Tolvanen is pretty much ready from what ive heard and i dont know how long kids are willing to wait especially if they feel they are ready. Going with whoever looks good this year is a good idea but id be curious to see what would happen with tolv if no wingers leave at all

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I know i didnt mean it in a way that would reflect poorly on smith it was more so that Tolvanen is pretty much ready from what ive heard and i dont know how long kids are willing to wait especially if they feel they are ready. Going with whoever looks good this year is a good idea but id be curious to see what would happen with tolv if no wingers leave at all

Well, somebody will probably leave next year, unless something crazy happens with the cap. We've got to re-sign Josi and one of Smith/Granlund. Tolvanen will slot in to the slot of whoever leaves.

Smith/Granlund, most likely Smith unless Granlund's game drops off in a big way, or Bonino/Turris are leaving, but their contracts aren't great.

Tolvanen will be fine, he just turned 20 and we're a stacked team that's patient with our prospects. I doubt he'll demand a trade when he knows he'll have a spot on a cup contender.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think we are basically sitting on an opening for Tolvanen in perpetuity now. If he was ready today, we have a top-6 winger spot open for him today. But he hasn't quite proven yet that he's ready. He'll have the same spot open indefinitely, I would say. We can't cap-wise afford both Smith and Granlund next season, but we basically have 5/6 sorted in our top-6. That leaves the 6th spot just dangling for Tolvanen to seize it when he's ready...

Forsberg-Duchene-Granlund
xxx - Johansen - Arvidsson
Sissons - Turris - Smith (not how it is now, but what I'd like to see)
Jarnkrok - Bonino - Watson
Grimaldi

For now we are patching the "xxx" with Smith and will probably run various experiments in that slot as the season progresses. But it's essentially already open for Tolvanen. (There is a little RW/LW juggling to perhaps consider as well... but the bottom line is we have a top-6 wing spot that is not locked down, just waiting to be grabbed by whoever takes charge).

Reactions: TheNewKid

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I'm still on the fence with Granlund. At this exact moment I would not resign him to a long term big money contract. He's looking a little bit better this year, but still seems off compared to expectations. He's playing with talent (Duchene, Forsberg) and the 2nd PP unit. No excuses not to produce.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
If Granlund has one of those big boy 70+ point seasons, he can command around $8m. If he goes to UFA, someone will pay him $8.5m for sure if he is a guy they think can play on their top line (thinking of Jeff Skinner as a comparable)

If he has a merely pedestrian 50 point season, you will probably see him sign long-term at closer to $7m-$7.5m.

If he has a horrible season, you will probably see him take a one year deal.

If Granny would have awful season this year, I think back to Minnesota would become more likely option as he has been productive over there. I could picture a little home town discount too, but who knows how he took Minnesota letting him go. I expect him to have a good season though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->