Value of: Mikael Granlund as a UFA

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
With Schenn signing in St Louis and Backstrom very likely to stay in D.C., Granlund will be the best centre available via free agency next summer.

What's his asking price on a long term deal, and will it be with Nashville?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Today I'll say: 6x$7M.

But let's see what he does this season of course. The Preds aren't extending him before they see, that's for sure. And his performance this year can definitely drive those numbers. As well as how much fun and happiness he finds in Nashville. Term and AAV both.

xFRaNK

Jun 16, 2018
Today I'll say: 6x$7M.

But let's see what he does this season of course. The Preds aren't extending him before they see, that's for sure. And his performance this year can definitely drive those numbers. As well as how much fun and happiness he finds in Nashville. Term and AAV both.
It's gonna be hard to resign him and extend Josi, you guys will need to move bonino+turris and probably not resign Craig Smith to make it work cap-wise Because I dont see Josi signing for less then 9,5-10M and Granlund is not resigning for less then 6.5M

xFRaNK

Jun 16, 2018
on the Habs board, I've made that trade for granlund

NSH
Drouin + Cousins/Thompson/Evans + 3rd to 5th round pick
MTL
Granlund + Bonino + 2020 1st

The reasoning is that NSH need space to resign Josi, and they dont have the cap to resign both Josi and Granlund. so trading Granlund before he walks out for Drouin is good asset management while still gaining a good replacement for Granlund and trading 4,1 mil cap hit of Bonino help's them to resign Josi. Cousins/Thompson/Evans are good players that could fill Bonino's role on the 4th line.

Habs have the cap to try and take a risk hoping Granlund resigns, a trade chip for next seasons TDL in a retained salary Bonino and a late 1st in 2020.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Gronlund's value depends almost completely on his performance this year. He has to prove that the last half of last year was an aberration, and that he is the player of 2016-18.

I didn't like what NSH was doing with him on their PP's. He's a guy who needs to be dominating the puck from the right halfwall, and doing the zone entries.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

NSH
MTL

The reasoning is that NSH need space to resign Josi, and they dont have the cap to resign both Josi and Granlund. so trading Granlund before he walks out for Drouin is good asset management while still gaining a good replacement for Granlund and trading 4,1 mil cap hit of Bonino help's them to resign Josi. Cousins/Thompson/Evans are good players that could fill Bonino's role on the 4th line.

Habs have the cap to try and take a risk hoping Granlund resigns, a trade chip for next seasons TDL in a retained salary Bonino and a late 1st in 2020.

Depending on what the salary cap looks like next year we should be fine with just letting Smith go and bringing up Tolvanen.

This trade just looks like a Montreal win fest, they get rid of Drouin and they get Granlund and we give up a first just to take Bonino? Pass.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018

NSH
MTL

So Montreal gets to get rid of Drouin, on top of that get Grandlund and a 1st? Bonino is worth his salary they dont need a 1st to take on his deal.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Granlund can play center, he just is much worse at it than as a winger.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
It's gonna be hard to resign him and extend Josi, you guys will need to move bonino+turris and probably not resign Craig Smith to make it work cap-wise Because I dont see Josi signing for less then 9,5-10M and Granlund is not resigning for less then 6.5M

You're completely wrong. Granlund already makes 5.75 and the Preds have 3 million in space right now. A modest cap bump for next year and letting Smith walk is all that would be needed to keep Josi at 9 mil per and Granlund at 7.

And your proposed trade is horrible for Nashville.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You're completely wrong. Granlund already makes 5.75 and the Preds have 3 million in space right now. A modest cap bump for next year and letting Smith walk is all that would be needed to keep Josi at 9 mil per and Granlund at 7.

And your proposed trade is horrible for Nashville.

If Granlund has another 65-70 point season, you're going to need more than 7M to keep him.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If Kevin Hayes can make more than 7 million per year so can Granlund.

While this isn't necessarily incorrect. It's a lot like when some stated if Paul Gaustad can return a 1st then why can't insert random player. It's possible, but really would take a good season.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
If Granlund has another 65-70 point season, you're going to need more than 7M to keep him.

Maybe, maybe not. Duchene plays a more important position, had a 30 goal-70 point season (and a fantastic postseason run) and he signed for 8 as a UFA. Of course he wanted to be in Nashville, but in a scenario where Granlund re-signs he obviously does as well. Poile generally does well on contracts.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Maybe, maybe not. Duchene plays a more important position, had a 30 goal-70 point season (and a fantastic postseason run) and he signed for 8 as a UFA. Of course he wanted to be in Nashville, but in a scenario where Granlund re-signs he obviously does as well. Poile generally does well on contracts.

Duchene took less than he could have gotten elsewhere because he only wanted to be in Nashville. If you think the same will be for Granlund, then sure, you might be right about signing him at 7.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We can pretty easily sign Granlund and Josi even at the higher end of what they would get and not have to make any moves.
This. But it does get a little dicey to get Smith signed too. I think it's going to come down to Smith vs. Granlund. If Granlund performs at a high level --- and I have a hunch he will --- then I think he'll get the priority. Smith is solid and reliable, he's a good player, but $5M or more for him if we're keeping Granlund isn't going to work.

One thing that's going to be fun and interesting (but won't affect the cap) is that there should be an influx of younger players. Tolvanen to replace Smith. Pitlick and maybe Trenin in to replace Grimaldi/Carr. And ideally all of Davies/Allard/Carrier to replace Hamhuis/Irwin/Weber.

My roster projection for the Preds for 2020-21 is only $80.007M. That's keeping Josi, Granlund, and Watson. The only significant player we lose is Smith.

That said, if there was any way we could find a taker for Turris that would be even better! Then we sign Smith too.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
While this isn't necessarily incorrect. It's a lot like when some stated if Paul Gaustad can return a 1st then why can't insert random player. It's possible, but really would take a good season.

Looking at the market don't know why it would be such a big deal.

Granlund is a damm good player if he returns to his game, which he absolutely should be able to at just 27y.

Reactions: Mestaruus

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Looking at the market don't know why it would be such a big deal.

Granlund is a damm good player if he returns to his game, which he absolutely should be able to at just 27y.

“IF”, that’s the key. Add in the fact he’s a undersized winger who will be 28 and the comparable to Hayes doesn’t fit based on position. GM’s seem much more willing to over pay centres verses other positions.

For the record I hate the Hayes contract and think $5 million would have been more than fair for him. I’d peg Granlund around $6 million tops.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
“IF”, that’s the key. Add in the fact he’s a undersized winger who will be 28 and the comparable to Hayes doesn’t fit based on position. GM’s seem much more willing to over pay centres verses other positions.

For the record I hate the Hayes contract and think $5 million would have been more than fair for him. I’d peg Granlund around $6 million tops.

I don't know why he wouldn't, he's a skill player clearly under 30y.
He had a bad 1/2 of a season where he got traded and had his 1st child be born at the same time.

He's better than Hayes, clearly. E.Kane, JVR, Hayes all at 7M, and Granlund is the best of them, and ofcourse the cap change has to be kept in mind.

& You're really not realistic.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Capfriendly lied to me which means Haula is the best one left... yikes.

I think the heat you are taking is a bit unwarranted. Granlund has played a lot of hockey as a center. But not the last years. And that will probably be the case going forward too.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't know why he wouldn't, he's a skill player clearly under 30y.
He had a bad 1/2 of a season where he got traded and had his 1st child be born at the same time.

He's better than Hayes, clearly. E.Kane, JVR, Hayes all at 7M, and Granlund is the best of them, and ofcourse the cap change has to be kept in mind.

& You're really not realistic.

I don’t think you know Hayes very well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad