Mikael Backlund

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Flameshomer, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Flameshomer

Flameshomer Likeaholic

Nice kid, shows flashes of the offensive creativity he was drafted for, and his defensive game is improving. Think he will ever turn into a top 6 forward? If so, will his oppertunity come somewhere other than Calgary?

2. vippe

vippe Registered User

Always thought of him as a two-way second line center.. ~50-60pts Possibly a bit higher ceiling but not much

3. madmike77

madmike77 Registered User

He's had a decent year considering he's been getting mostly 4th line minutes. He hasn't racked up a ton of points but he has been very responsible defensively.

He'll get his shot as a 2nd line centre in Calgary - maybe next year, maybe the year after.

The Flames don't currently have a ton of decent centres on the farm - although I could still see Wahl as an option depending on how he comes back from the injuries. Reinhart has also had an excellent year in the WHL, but he's still a couple of years away.

Bottom line is the Flames don't have much other than Backlund in the short term, so I think he'll get his shot.

4. jeremywilhelm

jeremywilhelm Registered User

He'll probably be the #3 guy next year and the number two guy in 2 years. Young still, but he has alot of potential.

5. MahomesIsGod

MahomesIsGod Better than your QB

I use this comparison A LOT but Stephen Weiss is a guy I'd look to compare him to. Well, it's probably because he is THE prototypical 2nd line center.

6. Caged Great

Caged Great Registered User

Goalie
    Backlund will be a pretty good two way center. Not someone that you count on to rack up the goals, but just a solid all-round player.