Mikael Backlund guarantees Game 6 win

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
wouldn't you if you were playing the Canucks?

I don't understand and never will understand why this sort of talk riles people up. Is he supposed to say that he thinks they'll lose?

Yeah especially considering how Calgary has dominated their home games already in this series.

This means nothing. How does it give the Canucks added incentive? They'll be plenty motivated on their own for Saturday, an oppenent saying they're going to win is not going to change anyone's mindset.

If hockey players actually use "bulletin material" to get amp'd up for games, I question their drive as a professional athlete. I get players can use doubters, role models and other means to help them be the best, but that's for long term training to be the best the can. In a performance, I imagine they are already giving all of what they've trained so hard for.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
How exactly is "the other team thinks they're gonna win " bulletin board material? I thought that was pretty much a given.

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
Actually, this one, Messier, Namath... Are they really guarantees? Don't guarantees usually have something in it if the promise is not kept. Such as "we guarantee this is the best burger u ever ate"..." Or your money back". Now that is a guarantee. " we r going to win this game"...yeah??? Or what???
See, there is no guarantee... Never could figure this out.

neksys

Jun 24, 2009
It isn't so much that it can motivate the other team (though it can).

The danger is that if the guarantee doesn't come true, it can actually be a morale blow to the home team. It's embarrassing and demotivating.

FoppaForsberg*

If Vancouver needed extra incentive to win, then they don't have what it takes to win.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
What else is he supposed to say?

"Well they are a heck of a team. They can perhaps win it. We don't know, but I guarantee you that we will go out there and ensure we have fun and make new friends."

nhldiedinthe90s*

who farted lol
Sep 23, 2013
Grown men who get paid millions of dollars, live in a universe of money that might as well put them in a different category of the human race...that are playing their dream game in the playoffs...get off on cheesy drawing board motivation cuz some other guy said they'd lose?

Really?

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Grown men who get paid millions of dollars, live in a universe of money that might as well put them in a different category of the human race...that are playing their dream game in the playoffs...get off on cheesy drawing board motivation cuz some other guy said they'd lose?

Really?

Well the flames felt what bieksa said about ferland being irrelevant had enough Impact to put a picture of it on the wall in the saddledome by the dressing rooms. That's a case where it clearly motivated at least one player.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Are some of you guys actually salty over what our 3rd line center said after a frustrating game? lol why

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Canucks have some serious retooling to do if they need Backlund to guarantee a victory for them to get hyped.

Their leadership group has proven incapable of doing it themselves for years now. They need outside help.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
means nothing lol. He didn't even say we are going to win game 6 he said there is no way we lose on home ice...which has been true.

grasping straws. may the best team win tomorrow.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't think this kind of thing (which happens every year now a days it seems) has any bearing whatsoever on the actual series. What, the Canucks are going to see this quote and all of a sudden play harder next game? They are playing for their playoff lives. Nothing Backlund says is going to change how they play their game. The only impact this quote will have is Backlund will look like a bit of a dummy if they lose game 6.
Exactly this.

It just adds more incentive, I think. Was wondering what others thought of these kind of situations.
How does it add any more incentive than lose and your season is over? I'm sorry there is nothing that can top the urgency of facing elimination.

May 23, 2012
Winners don't need to guarantee wins, its the losers who need to guarantee wins to get rid of the nervous feelings they have about the game/series going forward.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
It's not very often this happens, and the last time I even remember a 'guaranteed win', is Messier doing it. I'm sure there's been times since?

Didn't Messier also guarantee that the Canucks would make the playoffs with him when he was there? Which obviously didn't happen. I also think he promsied other things too, that also didn't happen.

D Sedin also promised Canucks would win game 7 in 11, didn't he? And then went out on the ice and was a minus 4.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Didn't Messier also guarantee that the Canucks would make the playoffs with him when he was there? Which obviously didn't happen. I also think he promsied other things too, that also didn't happen.

D Sedin also promised Canucks would win game 7 in 11, didn't he? And then went out on the ice and was a minus 4.

Daniel sedan actual quote was "if we play our game we will win game 7."

The haters decided to cut his statement in half to the "we will win game 7"

Anyways nothing to see here. I personally don't see them losing 3 straight in Calgary.

We'll see. Love that he said that though. Love it when players guarantee wins. He just added more pressure on his team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad