Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad [Warning Post #3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The Rangers didn't acquire Brassard until he was 25. Zibanejad is playing with house money for the next couple seasons as far as I'm concerned.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I'll get crucified here but I think zibanejad is already better than brassard.

I'm probably one of the biggest Mika apologists on this site but I need more. I have convictions that he can do it, but it is still in the "potential" category for me. :laugh:

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
We all want Ziba to iron out the wrinkles but this is not the only young player out there in the same boat. There is no shortcut to getting to the destination, you have to go through it. Short of the guarantee that only exists with top top prospects, I am good with this experiment (and I liked Brassard very much, he is such a quality guy in addition to being a playoff performer).

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
why can't we bring him up? He was probably the most clutch playoff player we had since Mark Messier. So when he scores a huge goal today of course hes gonna be mentioned. Since the majority feel like we robbed ottawa blind in that trade its normal zibby's name is going to be brought up.
I mean people still bring up Anton Stralman Like hes Nick Lidstrom at his best (and im not bashing Stralman he was terrific for us but so was brassard in playoffs).

He's mentioned 30x a day...

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Which means you've either forgotten how good Brassard was here, particularly in the playoffs, or you attribute his success to other factors (linemates, etc.). What am I missing?

i think Zib is setting up plays that his linemates are doing nothing with...

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
He's not better than Brassard at all. Not yet anyway.

I wouldnt say he has more responsibility either. We leaned on Brassard to deliver in the playoffs, which im being told by everyone that is everything that matters, and he delivered in spades. Not sure how you can take more responsiblity than that.

We traded for Zibanejad for the potential upside. This season has not been what we hoped, it is what it is for now.
It hasn't? I'm pretty sure if we went back to last summer, everyone would be thrilled to know that Zibanejad would outproduce Brassard.

I wasn't saying he was better than Brassard now, I'm comparing their 1st seasons as Rangers. Although if we are going to compare them in the present, what difference would it make if we swapped them?

Once upon a time, Brassard was a 45-point center, playing on our 3rd line.

Last edited:

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
His personality was/is great. Not a big guy and not much of a talker off the nice, but never took ****, and yapped at everyone on the ice. Totally hilarious the way he'd go off on opponents. Clutch Playoff performer, which is a great way to get people to love you. Also very passionate about his game...had great cellys. Was part of a social crew (Hags & Zuuc) that was often featured in Rangers' extracurricular videos. I totally enjoyed Brass when he was here.

Big Game Brass also played with edge. Something that is severely lacking in Zibanejad's game. He's a puzzle. When he mishandles good passes for what should be lethal one-timers or when he makes a low percentage play when he's perfectly set up like Game 2. Decides to one-time pass across to Zuccarello with the puck not even close. Why?

What is Mika? He showed signs towards the end. But he is one of 3 players who need to bring more in these next 2 games. The other 2 are Kreider and Hayes. I also include Miller because he's so skilled offensively. He has been engaged but we need offense from J.T. If these 4 players don't step up, no 2nd round.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'll get crucified here but I think zibanejad is already better than brassard.

The few things Brassard has over Zibanejad is play off performance, passing and PP skill.

Zibanejad is significantly younger, a shooter rather than a passer (which is what we need) and has room to grow. I love Brassard, I really do. But this trade works in our favour, even without the 2nd rounder

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
I mean, the potential is definitely there. I think we all were impressed with Mika before his injury. He's shown flashes since, but in my opinion, I think the injury combined with a long slump has been the villain here. If he doesn't get going in the playoffs, I think a summer of rest and training will do wonders.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Comparisons to Brassard aside, this guy needs to show more. I'm not sure what's worse, the non-existent offensive presence or the indifferent check on the Radulov game winner. The Rangers top 3 centers and Kreider need to step it up but Zibanejad has been the guiltiest party.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The Rangers didn't acquire Brassard until he was 25. Zibanejad is playing with house money for the next couple seasons as far as I'm concerned.

Not when one cares about winning. This is not an acceptable standard imo. Breeds a loser culture.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Comparisons to Brassard aside, this guy needs to show more. I'm not sure what's worse, the non-existent offensive presence or the indifferent check on the Radulov game winner. The Rangers top 3 centers and Kreider need to step it up but Zibanejad has been the guiltiest party.

Agreed but add Miller too

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
The few things Brassard has over Zibanejad is play off performance, passing and PP skill.

Zibanejad is significantly younger, a shooter rather than a passer (which is what we need) and has room to grow. I love Brassard, I really do. But this trade works in our favour, even without the 2nd rounder

Don't forget they turned the 2nd round pick and a 3 into Smith, who they should re-sign. I'm thinking 3 years and an AAV of 3.75 or 4 gets it done.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Zib is 23. Still very young and he needs time to figure it all out. Would do the trade again everytime. Good thing about him not having a breakout season and the injury is that it would be easier to sign him to a teamfriendly longterm deal.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
yeah Zib might need the summer to get adapt with the team, but I hope JT Miller can contribute this year.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Sorry but this trade just flat out sucks just as much now as it did from day one. Not only did Gorton trade away the NYR's best playoff performer but he also screwed up his lines chemistry.
Not a fan..

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Sorry but this trade just flat out sucks just as much now as it did from day one. Not only did Gorton trade away the NYR's best playoff performer but he also screwed up his lines chemistry.
Not a fan..

Player A: 37 points in 56 games
Player B: 39 points in 81 games

Which one do you prefer?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He screwed up the line chemistry so bad that despite Lundqvist having his worst year the team won two more games than last year. Makes TOTAL sense.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
If you like Zbads floating and weak defensive play then by all means..Keep up with your narrative.
You enjoy watching that weak ass effort against the GWG?
Brassard is 10x the player than zBAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->