Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad [Warning Post #3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Finnish is closer to Hungarian than to any other language. It's such an anomaly when it comes to languages. Speaking multiple languages is very helpful. Living in Europe, I know quite a few people who speak 3-4 languages. It broadens your horizon

What's your languages? German, Neerlands, English, my guesses, what else?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
"Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones."

We're a mess over here. If Zibs gets shit in Sweden, you better believe he gets it here. But whatever. This is so off topic.

Reactions: Siddi

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Some time ago, I was nailed to the cross here for asking whether or not Mika was fully accepted by the Swedish National program, teammates, etc. Many naive responses questioned how I can bring ethnicity into it, "of course he's fully accepted, it's hockey - he's judged by his play." And while that may be true for the majority, I'm fairly certain there are some very nasty exceptions (likely more so in Sweden than here). Mika just isn't the personality to share it, as perhaps P.K. Subban would.

Somewhat related, albeit it Turkey's situation is unique onto itself, the climate for Mesut Ozil is compelling him to cease his national team participation.

Story below. It jogged my memory and felt there was some overlap with the Zibanejad identity conversation.

Ozil quits Germany national team, citing racism

I would be shocked if Zib is targeted at all by teammates or Swedish hockey , those things would not be taken lightly.

Those who are not proud of him , can get a iland to sit on and hate together.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
Finnish is closer to Hungarian than to any other language. It's such an anomaly when it comes to languages. Speaking multiple languages is very helpful. Living in Europe, I know quite a few people who speak 3-4 languages. It broadens your horizon

Dragging something up from the old days here, but Finnish is actually closer to Estonian than any other national language (then there are rarer languages like Karelian, Vepsian, Ingrian, and Livonian). When I hear Estonian, I can recognize a lot of the individual words, but I can't actually understand what is being said (native Finnish-speakers probably can do better than I can). The next closest would be the Sami languages, and then the Uralic languages spoken in the Volga regions and Siberia. Hungarian is from the same root as Finnish, but it's no closer related to Finnish than, for instance, Czech is to English. The best you can do is recognize some ancient words (fish = kala (Fin) = hal (Hun)), and the agglutinative case endings. Curiously, though, when I flew through Budapest a number of years ago, the pilot's accent in English sounded almost exactly like a Finnish accent.

Regarding Mika: his Finnish is pretty good! Better than mine... :(

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Dave Maloney was on an NHL Tonight show recently (NHL Network). He followed a segment with Gorton. I was quite shocked when Maloney said that coming into last season the 3 Rangers who tested worst (meaning they were out of shape) were Zibs, Shatty and Smith. I don't remember hearing anything about that previously and hope they have their act together this off season.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Dave Maloney was on an NHL Tonight show recently (NHL Network). He followed a segment with Gorton. I was quite shocked when Maloney said that coming into last season the 3 Rangers who tested worst (meaning they were out of shape) were Zibs, Shatty and Smith. I don't remember hearing anything about that previously and hope they have their act together this off season.
I mean, we already knew Smith was out of shape coming into camp. No news there.

We knew Shattenkirk came into camp on a bum knee. That can play into bad physical testing. So...while not old news, it's also not surprising.

I got nothing on ZBad.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Cant wait for NYR to use this to explain why Zibs isn’t a good player

Reactions: Thirty One

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Also, if Zibanejad was "out of shape" at the beginning of last season...

...with how he was hot out if the gate, I'd love to see what an "in shape" Zibanejad is like. :naughty:

Sorry Dave, I'm not buying what you're selling.

Them having the 3 lowest scores doesn't mean that Zibanejad and Shattenkirk necessarily tested poorly.

We know Smith obviously did, but its also possible that other guys just finished slightly behind the rest of the pack.

Reactions: lucky13

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Them having the 3 lowest scores doesn't mean that Zibanejad and Shattenkirk necessarily tested poorly.

We know Smith obviously did, but its also possible that other guys just finished slightly behind the rest of the pack.
Nah dude. "Worst" obviously means complete dumpster fire. ;) :naughty:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like the way he's playing. He's using his size and strength and playing physically and leaning on opponents and when he does those things he's far more effective and seems to produce a lot more offense. Him and Kreider and Pionk seem to have this chemistry thing going on power plays right now. Kreider's gotten better at screening goalies and Pionk's putting puck the puck right in his wheelhouse like he's Alex Ovechkin blasting away.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
If he can keep hitting the net, passing lanes will open up more and get better opportunities for his linemates. Truely amazing what a dominate shot can do

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Go back and look at the Brassard for Zibanejad trade thread.

The Rangers traded an older player with three seasons left on his contract for a player six years younger and a huge majority hated the trade. They acted like Brass was some home grown Ranger.

Too bad Gorton waited too long to trade Zuccarello.

I proposed the Brassard for Zibanejad trade on January 20,2016. Look at some of the responses to the proposal. It's always the same people.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/112796405/

WTF.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida

The Rangers traded an older player with three seasons left on his contract for a player six years younger and a huge majority hated the trade. They acted like Brass was some home grown Ranger.

I proposed the Brassard for Zibanejad trade on January 20,2016. Look at some of the responses to the proposal. It's always the same people.

WTF.
Yea I never really got the push back on that trade...

I think it was just because Zucc and Brass were considered the personality of the team. and In consecutive years they traded away people in that Zucc/Brassard/Hagelin group

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

WTF.

How do you know the bolded?

If he could've dealt Zucc for a 1st + last year I think he would've. We don't know what was or was not on the table for him.

Let's hope Zucc keeps putting up numbers and maybe we get that 1st plus.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

WTF.

ctrl+f 'silverfish'
1 hit. Made a joke about Jake McCabe

When you find out the brand has been strong for two years:

giphy.gif

Reactions: Bozle

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

WTF.

At least link the actual trade thread for peak hyperbole

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...r-derick-brassard-a-2018-7th-rd-pick.2107109/

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

WTF.
I recall the majority of posters liking the trade. :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->