Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad [Warning Post #3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hell yeah.

Can’t wait to see Mika and Kreider under a coach that can utilize their player driving ability.
It'll be Messier. He'll make Mika give up music and get a crew cut and force Kreider to get those boxing lessons.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He is good at languages, gave his first interview ever in Finish. Sure his mom is finish but he has never lived there and Finish is — by some, I guess these things aren’t super objective — describes as one of the hardest languages in the world to learn:

Swedish, English, Persian and Finish — not a bad combo.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He is good at languages, gave his first interview ever in Finish. Sure his mom is finish but he has never lived there and Finish is — by some, I guess these things aren’t super objective — describes as one of the hardest languages in the world to learn:

Finnish is closer to Hungarian than to any other language. It's such an anomaly when it comes to languages. Speaking multiple languages is very helpful. Living in Europe, I know quite a few people who speak 3-4 languages. It broadens your horizon

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Finnish is closer to Hungarian than to any other language. It's such an anomaly when it comes to languages. Speaking multiple languages is very helpful. Living in Europe, I know quite a few people who speak 3-4 languages. It broadens your horizon

Yeah, I grew up on the Swe/Fin border, like 500 meters form it, and when I played hockey Finish was spoken in the locker room — but I still didn’t learn it. I probably didn’t try as much as I should have, but I like learned English from watching texted tv series and playing games when I was like 10-12 years old. But Finnish is a bitch to learn, the words are changed so much depending on the context.

I found this description online that is fairly good. Like you understand what people are talking about, but since the standard words — always — are changing depending on the context it’s like trying to learn a sound more than a language lol. And it’s not like words are changing getting like just an -ing or -ish or something, they change letters in the middle of words and the there are so many different endings etc.

For example, you want to say:
I go to school.
In English, you just put one word after another. You can say this kind of little things with a minor effort from the very beginning.
In Finnish, however, you have to know how to conjugate the verb AND the noun:
Minä menen kouluun.
“To go” in Finnish is mennä. Here it would be conjugated in the first person of the singular, present tense; hence menen. “School” would be koulu and here you would need the illative form which would be kouluun.
These rules make Finnish seem very difficult when you are just beginning. It’s hard to start speaking. I think this is where the major difficulties lie.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Sooth

Jun 27, 2006
Finland
www.last.fm

I remember reading an interview where he said that his mom always speaks Finnish to him. It's also a bit different game to speak than write Finnish fluently.

On another note, WHC really made me like Zibanejad even more than before. He also seems to get along with Lias very well, did anyone else notice how during the victory celebrations Mika went to pick Lias up from another group of players to pose with the cup together?

As a Finn, I'm a bit upset that he was very close to represent team Finland in his teens :laugh:

Reactions: haveandare and Ola

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Some time ago, I was nailed to the cross here for asking whether or not Mika was fully accepted by the Swedish National program, teammates, etc. Many naive responses questioned how I can bring ethnicity into it, "of course he's fully accepted, it's hockey - he's judged by his play." And while that may be true for the majority, I'm fairly certain there are some very nasty exceptions (likely more so in Sweden than here). Mika just isn't the personality to share it, as perhaps P.K. Subban would.

Somewhat related, albeit it Turkey's situation is unique onto itself, the climate for Mesut Ozil is compelling him to cease his national team participation.

Story below. It jogged my memory and felt there was some overlap with the Zibanejad identity conversation.

Ozil quits Germany national team, citing racism

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Some time ago, I was nailed to the cross here for asking whether or not Mika was fully accepted by the Swedish National program, teammates, etc. Many naive responses questioned how I can bring ethnicity into it, "of course he's fully accepted, it's hockey - he's judged by his play." And while that may be true for the majority, I'm fairly certain there are some very nasty exceptions (likely more so in Sweden than here). Mika just isn't the personality to share it, as perhaps P.K. Subban would.

Somewhat related, albeit it Turkey's situation is unique onto itself, the climate for Mesut Ozil is compelling him to cease his national team participation.

Story below. It jogged my memory and felt there was some overlap with the Zibanejad identity conversation.

Racists are everywhere. I'm a brown guy. Once in a game a guy called me a terrorist and refused to shake my hand.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global

I have no idea what kind of perception you might have of Sweden but I am fairly certain that you are wrong. We have never had a similar situation even close to the Ozil one.

Reactions: nyr2k2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->