Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad [Warning Post #3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
Sounds like nobody in this thread has ever broken their ankle before. Give him some more time before criticizing his performance.

He's been back for a month and scored twice in his return with 7 shots. If he isn't good enough to play, then don't. His performance has been poor. There's no way around it. The injury didn't help. But they need him to be better. Zero power play goals for a guy with his talent and top heavy shot is incredible.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Zib needs to be Zib. Zib is trying to be Super Zib before he has regular Zib down pat.

D713B

Mar 9, 2008
He's been back for a month and scored twice in his return with 7 shots. If he isn't good enough to play, then don't. His performance has been poor. There's no way around it. The injury didn't help. But they need him to be better. Zero power play goals for a guy with his talent and top heavy shot is incredible.

That's not the point. I'm sure he's well enough to play. Returning from a break is a process nonetheless. He's talented. There's an adjustment period is all I'm getting towards. It's difficult to explain unless you've been sidelined by a similar injury. I have no doubt he's healthy enough to be on the ice.

I have a greater understanding after my injury of the process. Believe me, there's no one more frustrated about it than Mika.

Last edited:

member 116805

Guy has been just like adverticed, streaky as ****. Not surprised, but by all means not saticefied

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
Maybe he has a so-so year, gets re-upped on a team friendly long term deal, then breaks out (like Kreider)... I'd be fine with that...

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
He simply doesn't consistently impact the game the way someone with his size and talent level should. Hopefully that we come with time.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Serious question: Do you think we can get Brass back in return for Zib? I don't think Ottawa is happy with his performance.

That would be ****ing insane

Zibanejad is a 23 year old RH center who has the potnential to be elite. I would stop watching this team if they did that trade

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Zib has a lot of potential and roughly 2 more years after this one to reach it. Otherwise, it will be a let down.

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
That is possible by why doesn't it effect Kreider and JT? Even Zooks throws his body.

This team isn't overly physical. Never will be. Not as long as AV is coaching. Kreider picks his spots. Miller and Zucc mix it up more. Stepan never does. McDonagh rarely does either and I wish that wasn't the case. This team is in desperate need of a physical forward or D that will keep opponents honest. But with such limited space and AV set on the 4 lines even though he hardly plays the fourth one, it's highly unlikely.

I wonder if it will ever change.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I'm willing to bet Zib will be his old self within two weeks. His injury was a bad one that he wasn't able to skate at all for weeks. His timing is off and will take time but he's almost there. Be patient. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Edited to add, he was back in action around Jan 20th. It hasn't quite been a month. He's almost there. Watch. He'll be fine.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This team isn't overly physical. Never will be. Not as long as AV is coaching. Kreider picks his spots. Miller and Zucc mix it up more. Stepan never does. McDonagh rarely does either and I wish that wasn't the case. This team is in desperate need of a physical forward or D that will keep opponents honest. But with such limited space and AV set on the 4 lines even though he hardly plays the fourth one, it's highly unlikely.

I wonder if it will ever change.

I took a peak at his hit numbers this season vs his years in Ottawa. You should look as well. I could see AVs system having an effect but the drop in hits is substantial.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Let me tell you one other thing that has disappeared. Zibs is a pretty big guy. He played with some physicality in Ottawa. Where did that go? He is playing much softer in NY than he played in Ottawa.

Just wanted to chime in that this isn't true. Zibanejad is a big body, but has never had any real physicality to his game, he played soft in Ottawa. But he is streaky, I remember a game last year, he did nothing, then scored a weird hat trick in the third somehow.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Just wanted to chime in that this isn't true. Zibanejad is a big body, but has never had any real physicality to his game, he played soft in Ottawa. But he is streaky, I remember a game last year, he did nothing, then scored a weird hat trick in the third somehow.

Go take a peak at his hit numbers in Ottawa and compare them to his hit numbers as a Ranger. A huge decline is what I see.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
Mika says the following to Per Bjurman:

Det har gått nästan precis en månad sedan Mika Zibanejad gjorde comeback efter sin svåra skada,
men han har fortfarande inte riktigt nått samma nivå som i höstas och efter förlusten i Brooklyn i torsdags förklarade han varför.

– Det är mentalt. Jag har inte alls ont längre, men i vissa situationer blir jag instinktivt rädd att foten ska vika sig och tvekar en halv sekund för mycket.
Det är ingen ursäkt för att jag inte spelar bättre, jag måste helt enkelt bara komma över det.
http://bloggar.aftonbladet.se/perbjurman/2017/02/sunday-morning-comin-down/

Short summary: MZ says that he doesn't feel any pain but that he hesitates half a second too much in some situations.
He also says that it's no excuse for not playing better and that he just have to get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad