Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
I'd say we resign him to a team-friendly contract.
I would like to resign him too but what do you think a team friendly contract looks like? And does he go for it is the question

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Brad Richards being mentioned is where I am thinking his next contract goes, eventually he'll decline on it, then what?

Add Kreider and Panarin also maybe declining on theirs, add in Trouba too, not decline but just not being good.

Rangers could be headed right back to where they were with Richards, on the precipice of winning something for real only to see Richards/Zbad/Panarin decline right at the totally wrong time.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Brad Richards being mentioned is where I am thinking his next contract goes, eventually he'll decline on it, then what?

Add Kreider and Panarin also maybe declining on theirs, add in Trouba too, not decline but just not being good.

Rangers could be headed right back to where they were with Richards, on the precipice of winning something for real only to see Richards/Zbad/Panarin decline right at the totally wrong time.
I say trade Mika for a decent prospect and/or good picks. Get rid of Strome for a pick. Sign Barkov in the off-season — cap allowing.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
1st line center's are expected to score. Sorry CK, but 'that defense tho' isn't a good response. I appreciate the passion though.

Last year's Mika's good defense led directly to chances the other way on the PK and 5 on 5. Not so much this year, not yet at least.
Kreider isn't going to address Mika's dreadful start offensively too bluntly but that sounds like the Rick Nash in the playoffs excuse--"yeah well he's been strong defensively!"

Rangers aren't asking Zibanejad to be Guy Carbonneau. They need him to score. Mika knows this but as a fan it's just frustrating not knowing if he's injured/sick. If those aren't issues, it really makes you scratch your head because he's too talented to be in a slump for this long.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I say trade Mika for a decent prospect and/or good picks. Get rid of Strome for a pick. Sign Barkov in the off-season — cap allowing.
My world, it seemingly is going to take some time for Laf and Kakko to break out, finding someone within their level of progress at center should be the priority. Chytil maybe is part of that, yet adding another to his realm sort of needs to happen. Not an easy task yet what I think will be a necessary one.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
My world, it seemingly is going to take some time for Laf and Kakko to break out, finding someone within their level of progress at center should be the priority. Chytil maybe is part of that, yet adding another to his realm sort of needs to happen. Not an easy task yet what I think will be a necessary one.
The $20MM between AP and Trouba will haunt us for a long time. We’re going to have to make some tough choices.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The $20MM between AP and Trouba will haunt us for a long time. We’re going to have to make some tough choices.

AP I have at least a decent amount of optimism he may turn out to still be pretty good even at age 33-35

Trouba has games where he is good; has games where he is okay yet has costly mistakes; then games where he is just not good at all.

Kreider less cap hit yet also signed until he is 35, too long in my opinion.

I like Zbad, I think if the youth were making quicker progress it would make sense to retain, yet last and this season (so far) it's tough to say they are making quick progress.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Rangers aren't asking Zibanejad to be Guy Carbonneau. They need him to score. Mika knows this but as a fan it's just frustrating not knowing if he's injured/sick. If those aren't issues, it really makes you scratch your head because he's too talented to be in a slump for this long.
What do you mean "not knowing"? The dude had Covid in camp. Maybe these Ranger fans should remember that.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
He doesnt look himself and is still creating high quality scoring chances. He could very easily have 5 or 6 more goals so far. He just needs a few bounces to go his way.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
he had a really good game. frustrating he got no points but he had some really good chances. a less hot goalie and/or a couple better bounces and he could’ve easily had a 3 point game.

good news is he didn’t look like a black hole. maybe he’s starting to get back into his own groove.

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
Kreider isn't going to address Mika's dreadful start offensively too bluntly but that sounds like the Rick Nash in the playoffs excuse--"yeah well he's been strong defensively!"

It's always an excuse with this team. It would be nice if they stopped insulting their fans intelligence and just admit they all f***ing suck balls so far this year and they want to get better.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
yeah the good thing is he's getting to the areas, getting good looks but god damn this team needs to start converting. Kreider set him up for an easy one and he still shoots it directly into Rask's glove. Lindgren sets him up with the doorstep tip and he completely misses it. Does COVID f*** up your hand-eye coordination, too?

Reactions: EdJovanovski

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
yeah the good thing is he's getting to the areas, getting good looks but god damn this team needs to start converting. Kreider set him up for an easy one and he still shoots it directly into Rask's glove. Lindgren sets him up with the doorstep tip and he completely misses it. Does COVID f*** up your hand-eye coordination, too?

My guess is it's just a lack of confidence.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
not gonna blame him for the one that went in rask’s glove. that was unlucky. he got it above the pad and I don’t think rask knew where the puck was gonna go, he just pushed himself off the post there and out out his glove to cover as much area as he could. there was soace between the glove and pad and above the glove as well. just unlucky. mika did a good job with that, rask just was a wall tonight.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Mika having a good game last night was a great sign. It’s clear to start the season he’s had lingering effects from COVID. I really wish he converted on some chances, but Rask played an excellent game.

This team goes as Zibanejad and Panarin go. After them there’s just not enough offense to win games.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
1 PPG, 2A -5 in 12 Games.

Wow. With Chytil out and Rooney the next best center this team is in big trouble if he doesnt get goin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad