Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
I like Zibby. He’s a high quality player and a 1C in the NHL. However, I just can’t shake the feeling he isn’t a 1C on a championship team. 2C for sure, but even in his prime, I just struggle to see it and now we have to decide if we expect him to be one into his 30s.

With a team this early in their window, handing out a potentially painful LT deal to a questionable player simply bc “what else do we have?” doesn’t sound like the right move. And no, I don’t think Eichel is the answer either.

Reactions: Slaydagnar

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Last night when Barzal paisted Smith on the boards, Lafreniere was the guy to go after Barzal. While they were on the ice wrestling 2 Islanders piled on while Mika stood about 8 feet away and watched. A few months ago, the same thing happened with Laf and Mika didn't just stand there, he skated away.

I get that he's not a fighter, but that is some lame ass garbage. Don't want to hear about how he should get the C ever again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Off Sides

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
It's amazing how quickly the perception of Zibanejad changes. He puts up 6 goals and 15 points in 8 games against the Devils, Flyers, and Sabres and we're ready to extend him long-term. He is a no-show in a huge game against the Isles (again) and now we're not so sure.

I've said this back when I was beating the drum for Eichel in the RBT. Zibanejad will be 29 when he signs his new contract. I have serious doubts about whether he will be nearly as effective when he gets to be 32+. If you look at a player like Panarin, his main attribute is his intelligence (though he does have a boatload of skill as well) so I think he can age fairly well. Compare that to Zibanejad, and we've seen in the early part of the season what he looks like when he doesn't have the speed and strength to physically dominate.

To me, it a scary proposition to offer him a 6 year contract. What do we do without him? I don't know the answer to that, but that doesn't make a long term extension the right move.

Reactions: will1066

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
Agreed on perceptions being volatile around volatile players (we see it with Kreider). That’s why we need to anchor to a few core observations. Do they consistently step up in big games? Do they battle when games get tight or wilt? Are they racking up pts consistently or primarily against weak competition?

Zib seems to consistently fall on the wrong side of all those questions.

Reactions: will1066

snu22fint

Jun 19, 2016
Agreed on perceptions being volatile around volatile players (we see it with Kreider). That’s why we need to anchor to a few core observations. Do they consistently step up in big games? Do they battle when games get tight or wilt? Are they racking up pts consistently or primarily against weak competition?

Zib seems to consistently fall on the wrong side of all those questions.

Most star players pile up points primarily against weaker opponents. Very few players can elevate their game in the playoffs. Most players has a way lower ppg in the playoffs than in regular season and it is primarily because of facing tougher more motivated opponents. Zib hasn't got that many chances of proving himself in the playoffs yet. Don't forget that he has a WJC gold where he scored the golden goal and a WC gold where he dominated with 11p in 10 games. He has pretty much only played 2 full season of hockey in which he has been considered #1 center. Give the guy a break.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I like Zibby. He’s a high quality player and a 1C in the NHL. However, I just can’t shake the feeling he isn’t a 1C on a championship team. 2C for sure, but even in his prime, I just struggle to see it and now we have to decide if we expect him to be one into his 30s.

With a team this early in their window, handing out a potentially painful LT deal to a questionable player simply bc “what else do we have?” doesn’t sound like the right move. And no, I don’t think Eichel is the answer either.

So if you don’t want to extend Zib or go after Eichel, what is the solution for a pure 1C? We have no one that can handle that assignment in the pipeline. I have no idea what the next “Brassard for Zibanejad” deal would look like or how it would be pulled off for that matter too.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So if you don’t want to extend Zib or go after Eichel, what is the solution for a pure 1C? We have no one that can handle that assignment in the pipeline. I have no idea what the next “Brassard for Zibanejad” deal would look like or how it would be pulled off for that matter too.

Someone who isn't Zibanejad or Eichel?

Jesus ya'll act like these guys NEVER shake loose. They ALWAYS do.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
upload_2021-7-24_20-30-51.jpeg

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
He has an NMC. Best Drury can do is to try to replicate what Jarmo did with Jones.
If the Rangers aren't going to sign him to an extension, I'm sure some team out there would and he'd waive. Or he'd go to a team that is further ahead than we are.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I just don't see how giving Zibanejad a long-term deal is a good idea. He's already declining despite his SH% going up an absurd amount over the past 2 years, his contract will start when he's 29. He's not good defensively.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad