Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Eichel was also on pace to score 8 goals this year in 82 games. He hasn't been able to bring his team close to the POs ever. I have big concerns for him just as I did with Brad Richards. I think he make the most sense for a solid strong team, that doesn't have top end ability. But I would be concerned about how he would do for a team like ours. Would he match-up well against the top lines around us?

I just don't think he is a good counter to guys like Barzal, Aho, even Crosby can be mentioned, Tampa's speed and so forth. If we were talking about like Barzal, I would be willing to go all in without any doubt. But Eichel just doesn't do it at all for me. JMHO.
Barzal stands OUT whenever we play the Isles. Makes plays, doesn't always work out but he generally is able to drive the net with success and open space for teamates who he finds. Much like Zbad, but you can see the skill and drive to win. Eichel didn't jump out at me in that way when I paid special attention to him this year (can't speak to previous years), I guess he's more finesse and we have enough finesse. Coming off a heavy injury too, no thanks

Reactions: Ola

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Eichel was also on pace to score 8 goals this year in 82 games. He hasn't been able to bring his team close to the POs ever. I have big concerns for him just as I did with Brad Richards. I think he make the most sense for a solid strong team, that doesn't have top end ability. But I would be concerned about how he would do for a team like ours. Would he match-up well against the top lines around us?

I just don't think he is a good counter to guys like Barzal, Aho, even Crosby can be mentioned, Tampa's speed and so forth. If we were talking about like Barzal, I would be willing to go all in without any doubt. But Eichel just doesn't do it at all for me. JMHO.
Come one ola, Eichel for sure drives play. Guy had a bulging disc in his neck the entire season and was still a PPG player even though his goal totals were down. I think we’re only looking at the negatives a lot here which is fine because there certainly is a risk. But the major question is whose going to be the best option over the next 5 years Eichel from 25-30 or Mika 29-34 since they both will probably make the same coin. There are for sure risks, don’t let anyone tell you differently. However, Eichel on the rangers with LaF on his left, and Kravstov/ buch on his right with panarin playing with him on the PP might explode playing here. He may reach a new level we haven’t seen yet TBH. I’m not comparing him to signing Bazal or Aho guys we’ll have no chance at. My biggest concern frankly is that if they land Eichel Quinn stay Longer lol

Reactions: Ola

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
"Immediately after the Swede began to snap out of it, mention was made that Zibanejad had reported to camp after losing dramatic amount of weight over the offseason. Our best information now indicates that No. 93 indeed had radically changed his diet between leaving last summer’s bubble in Toronto and reporting to New York in January. That may have been a factor."

It's hard to know what to make of Mika Zibanejad's Rangers season
I brought this up previously and was rebuffed by the covid warriors. If he stopped eating a lot of meat for example that would definitely add to his lack of energy. Plus the covid. It’s happened to a couple of my friends that made the switch and went back. They just don’t perform as well without animal fats and proteins. But this is just me speculating

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yes, without any doubt I would also sign Barzal over Eichel. He has the driving quality that wins games. He's on a rival team, but I have to admit he's really efficient at what he does. He drives the play really well and was a godsend for the Islanders barn.

But, so has Zibanejad been. He is a hockey dictator on the ice when he's in his flow, it's as simple as that. Eichel doesn't just because he's a very skilled player. Eichel doesn't carry the line. That's what you want in a core player.

It's the mixture of qualities that matters. Eichel on the right team would be a star, say he would play in Pastrnak's role in Boston. He would probably outshine Pastrnak. Boston can afford that, NYR can't. That's also why I laughed when Buffalo signed Adam Hall, because it was such an outlandish mixture of the qualities the team actually needed. Their owners are terrible in the extent of their terrible GM signings. New York fans can at least be happy the team wasn't owned by owners like in Buffalo.

Even bigger OT: This cultural trait of being very loyal is very easy to attain when the world you live in is a frozen wasteland. You quickly learn you need the help of others to survive and grow. It's also why I culturally think the Nordic nations were so quick to revolt and become protestants in the 30 year war in the 1600s. They couldn't submit to one monoteistic truth even after centuries of that rule and were very eager to change that in a grand war.

I like Ziba, and I haven’t looked recently, but he has at least last year struggled mightily against Boston’s top line for example. It has nothing to do with weaknesses, but when you face lines comprising some of the top guys in the league in terms of ability to both turn the play when they win the puck as well as an ability to take away time from you when you don’t have the puck — you must either match that counter it with some really strong ability to own play or a lot of time will be spent in your own end.

Strome is also not a good match-up center in this perspective, and to get out of the East — I think this is the area of biggest concern for us.

I also think that it’s important to acknowledge that we as a team do a really good job at getting Zibanejad involved. This year he has had some moments where he either just strips a D of a puck or takes a lose puck around the defensive blueline and drives up ice, which is very impressive. But at large Buch and Kreider has also utilized his strengths well, and Laf has picked up on that too.

I just want to underline that because if we as a team stop making plays in the neutral zone, and just move the puck up ice to get it deep ASAP, it will leave a big dent in Ziba’s production.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Come one ola, Eichel for sure drives play. Guy had a bulging disc in his neck the entire season and was still a PPG player even though his goal totals were down. I think we’re only looking at the negatives a lot here which is fine because there certainly is a risk. But the major question is whose going to be the best option over the next 5 years Eichel from 25-30 or Mika 29-34 since they both will probably make the same coin. There are for sure risks, don’t let anyone tell you differently. However, Eichel on the rangers with LaF on his left, and Kravstov/ buch on his right with panarin playing with him on the PP might explode playing here. He may reach a new level we haven’t seen yet TBH. I’m not comparing him to signing Bazal or Aho guys we’ll have no chance at. My biggest concern frankly is that if they land Eichel Quinn stay Longer lol

Maybe I am overly down on him. Can’t help but to consider his play at the latest WCH where he displayed record levels of floating. Can be misleading because just because someone mailed it in their it doesn’t mean they would mail it in, in the NHL.

But the deciding factor for me isn’t about that really, because no matter what he isn’t going to beat guys like Aho, Barzal or the top lines around us when it comes to moving the puck N-S, skating up and down the ice. Hughes/Hirscher on the horizon in NJ. Tampa get that extreme speed in their entire top 9. Sid is still Sid.

And I mean, I do think that is a huge part of why Buffalo isn’t doing better. Eichel puts them on the board but he isn’t an — elite — driving factor.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I brought this up previously and was rebuffed by the covid warriors. If he stopped eating a lot of meat for example that would definitely add to his lack of energy. Plus the covid. It’s happened to a couple of my friends that made the switch and went back. They just don’t perform as well without animal fats and proteins. But this is just me speculating

I know of no study that says eye-hand coordination doesn't work as well for non-meat eaters. And Zib's major problem was just that earlier in the season, and we do know that there can be long-lasting neurological issues that can stem from Covid.

BTW, I know of two very high-level guitarists that are vegetarians that play just fine. One of them is Steve Howe.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Maybe I am overly down on him. Can’t help but to consider his play at the latest WCH where he displayed record levels of floating. Can be misleading because just because someone mailed it in their it doesn’t mean they would mail it in, in the NHL.

But the deciding factor for me isn’t about that really, because no matter what he isn’t going to beat guys like Aho, Barzal or the top lines around us when it comes to moving the puck N-S, skating up and down the ice. Hughes/Hirscher on the horizon in NJ. Tampa get that extreme speed in their entire top 9. Sid is still Sid.

And I mean, I do think that is a huge part of why Buffalo isn’t doing better. Eichel puts them on the board but he isn’t an — elite — driving factor.

Eichel reminds me a lot of Marian Gaborik at a similar point in his career. I really think most of the 'what's missing' from Jack Eichel has been durability. I don't like the idea of trading for him because he's so frequently injured, and not just big injuries, he's pretty constantly limping to the bench, 'tweaking' something according to Sabres' broadcasts--lot's of pans over to the bench, is Eichel OK moments.

On the other hand, a healthy Eichel... you're assessment really doesn't do it justice. Not a single one of those centers has the ability to cover the length of the ice that Eichel has. Not even with his skating ability can Barzal really smother an opponent the way Eichel can. He's got a better shot than each of those guys and can pick corners from the tops of the circle, on his backhand, etc. And even though he's a bigger guy, his stance and stride are fairly unique--a bit Bambi-esque--and he doesn't have any problems gaining leverage against shorter, stockier players which is not common for bigger guys.

I don't know the guy, so I can't speculate on character. I know that the few times the sabres have won the last few years there's always a small army of Jack Eichel is a great leader and awsome guy stories, and whenever it falls apart, here we are again. I will say that he strikes me as the type to excuse himself when he gets dinged up, and given the frequency--I think it's a feedback loop. But how much of that 'quitting' is due to playing in quick sand since getting to the NHL?

Reactions: CLW

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Can we compile a list of guys who were Eichels level of elite who came back close to or at the level they were at before such an injury?

I can't think of any guy at that level with that specific injury? I think that'd be really interesting to think about/discuss.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Can we compile a list of guys who were Eichels level of elite who came back close to or at the level they were at before such an injury?

I can't think of any guy at that level with that specific injury? I think that'd be really interesting to think about/discuss.

Letang is the only "higher" level guy I can think of. He came back fine but like Eichel, he's missed a ton of time with various shit.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Letang is the only "higher" level guy I can think of. He came back fine but like Eichel, he's missed a ton of time with various shit.

Oh yeah, f*ck that then. Letang had two generational centers on that team and teams that really clicked surrounding him his entire career. Not saying he wasn't important to those runs but man he missed tons of time.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I can't remember the last time the Rangers had a 1C as dynamic as Zib, no way I let him go, he's too important to this team. I'm good with him, Strome and Chytil down the middle. If Strome goes, that's ok but he gets undersold on this board. Let whiney, pastey-ass Eichel go pound sand at the beach in LA.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I can't remember the last time the Rangers had a 1C as dynamic as Zib, no way I let him go, he's too important to this team. I'm good with him, Strome and Chytil down the middle. If Strome goes, that's ok but he gets undersold on this board. Let whiney, pastey-ass Eichel go pound sand at the beach in LA.

He's in a tier above Nylander, Gomez, Richards, Stepan, Brass, Nedved, NYR Lindros for sure. Think you have to go back to late career Gretzky and Messier to find someone better.

I disagree vehemently with Machinehead about him being a '3rd liner'

There are questions about consistency and durability, but I'd rather keep Mika and the farm (Which will be super important to have to cycle in ELCs) than trade the house for Eichel.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
He's in a tier above Nylander, Gomez, Richards, Stepan, Brass, Nedved, NYR Lindros for sure. Think you have to go back to late career Gretzky and Messier to find someone better.

There are questions about consistency and durability, but I'd rather keep Mika and the farm (Which will be super important to have to cycle in ELCs) than trade the house for Eichel.

As long as he's not asking for anything ridiculous, I'd do all I can to lock him up. Eichel would cost too much and totally change the team's chemistry.

Reactions: haveandare

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

a 3rd liner?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I like Machinehead but he disregards everything but analytics and is prone to insane hyperbole.

Reactions: Fitzy

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

That he is the best center the Rangers have had since Gretzky skated his last shift, is unarguable. The last 3 years, the overall play has been at that elite 1C that this team has been searching for since Gretzky retired.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Gorton and JD could well play a term for cash game with him.

I wonder if they'll start negotiations this offseason if they think he's their guy. But I get the feeling Gorton has no problem going up to the deadline to get a deal done.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I wonder if they'll start negotiations this offseason if they think he's their guy. But I get the feeling Gorton has no problem going up to the deadline to get a deal done.
That may well be. I would think that coming into next year, Gorton would want to keep any drama to a minimum. Plus that is a certain game of chicken. Could cost you a lot more.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global

@Machinehead is my boy but he is in crackhead territory with his takes on Mika.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad