Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Yep, that would solve a big head ache for the Rangers. Not sure he will though, this is his money contract to set him up.

I concur Mika is good enough 1C for a contender, but Mika, Strome, and Chytil is not really strong enough as a spine. Strome and Chytil are not well rounded enough. It will be interesting to see what if anything the FO does about this. I'm still certain that if there is any possibility for the Rangers to pursue Eichel they will, for better and worse. Eichel seems to fit the vision of Quinn and the FO to a t.

I have a hard time seeing us affording both mika and eichel beyond next year when mika is still on his current deal. I think it would be one or the other as 1C

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I have a hard time seeing us affording both mika and eichel beyond next year when mika is still on his current deal. I think it would be one or the other as 1C

Yeah, it changes the equation if there is a path to pursue Eichel seriously.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It's going to be hilariously sad (and so Rangers-like) when the rangers trade Kakko for Eichel, and Eichel is going to be underwhelming and Kakko develops into a stud power forward.

I don't think it will happen, but those are the types of moves that I feared from our FO.

The Kreider contract was horrible, this would be just as bad.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's going to be hilariously sad (and so Rangers-like) when the rangers trade Kakko for Eichel, and Eichel is going to be underwhelming and Kakko develops into a stud power forward.

People bending over backwards to add a ton to Mika who if you take out the 15 games he was limited by Covid is producing on par if not better than Eichel the last two years. It's preposterous. You'd think these people are Sabres fans.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
People bending over backwards to add a ton to Mika who if you take out the 15 games he was limited by Covid is producing on par if not better than Eichel the last two years. It's preposterous. You'd think these people are Sabres fans.
I also just don't see why the Sabres would even want Mika in any deal. He is UFA in a year with like a 1% chance of signing there.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I also just don't see why the Sabres would even want Mika in any deal. He is UFA in a year with like a 1% chance of signing there.

Oh they wouldn't.

I don't really understand the rush to add an Eichel esque player either or why his red flags just get glossed over. This is literally Risk Nash all over again, except Nash was healthier when we got him.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Oh they wouldn't.

I don't really understand the rush to add an Eichel esque player either or why his red flags just get glossed over. This is literally Risk Nash all over again, except Nash was healthier when we got him.

Well he's younger than Nash and a better player, but we're talking about giving up bigger talents than Dubinsky and Anisimov. No, please just no.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Well he's younger than Nash and a better player, but we're talking about giving up bigger talents than Dubinsky and Anisimov. No, please just no.

True, but even so the Nash move made more sense. That group had gotten pretty close the year before and needed scoring pop.

What does Eichel provide that this group needs? Safety net incase they lose both Mika and Strome over the next year? Okay, but thats a bad reason to trade for someone.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
True, but even so the Nash move made more sense. That group had gotten pretty close the year before and needed scoring pop.

What does Eichel provide that this group needs? Safety net incase they lose both Mika and Strome over the next year? Okay, but thats a bad reason to trade for someone.
The case is far more nuanced. Are they better served with a 25 yr old that might be better playing with better talent then signing Zibby for similar money and longer term. Does Eichel come in and have instant chemistry with LaF kakko Kravtsov who ever is here?? Did the neck injury not affect his game?? All questions not A lot of answers yet

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Yep, that would solve a big head ache for the Rangers. Not sure he will though, this is his money contract to set him up.

I concur Mika is good enough 1C for a contender, but Mika, Strome, and Chytil is not really strong enough as a spine. Strome and Chytil are not well rounded enough. It will be interesting to see what if anything the FO does about this. I'm still certain that if there is any possibility for the Rangers to pursue Eichel they will, for better and worse. Eichel seems to fit the vision of Quinn and the FO to a t, and that changes the equation if so.
Eichel might be more talented offensively than Zibanejad but he sure as hell isn't as good enough defensively. If I wanted a balanced team, I would pick Zibanejad over Eichel considering the increased salary to bring Eichel over - while they're pretty much balanced in terms of overall impact.

If you want to bring Eichel over to NYR, it's not the salary of Zibanejad that is interchangeable. Then you start with dumping Kreider, no questions asked. And then you have to dump Strome or put him on the third line. Nope.

The NYR problems dont' start with bringing in Eichel as a solution. It won't work. That's absolutely not where the problems start. The straight clean trade of Zibanejad with Eichel in the lineup would improve nothing and decrease competiteveness in terms of salary cap issues. I even think the team would look alot like Toronto - which isn't a cup contender. A whole lot of offense and shitty defense, which would win nothing.

Long story short: Eichel has no place on this NYR team. Forget about him. The new shiny toy isn't the identity and the easy solution. You want the guy who hates to lose.

Last edited:

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Oh they wouldn't.

And it took just one concussion for him to be a shell of his former self. We traded a lot of good assets to get him and it took only a season or so for that to backfire. And it isn't like we haven't played this tune over and over again either.

I'm about 90% sure that any deal we make for Eichel, 3-4 years down the line we would be seen as the losers of that deal. Now, waiting one more year to try signing Barkov? Sign me all over that.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Dude was garbage after getting covid for the 1st month and is almost ppg now lol. There's pretty much McDavid and Mackinnon that are better at peak performance than Z and thats it.

Reactions: 21 and Siddi

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
The case is far more nuanced. Are they better served with a 25 yr old that might be better playing with better talent then signing Zibby for similar money and longer term. Does Eichel come in and have instant chemistry with LaF kakko Kravtsov who ever is here?? Did the neck injury not affect his game?? All questions not A lot of answers yet

And right there is the catch 22. Any deal involving Eichel would very likely include one of those three. Just seems like too steep a price to get a player that doesn't add that much more than what Zbad is already doing in the same position.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
And right there is the catch 22. Any deal involving Eichel would very likely include one of those three. Just seems like too steep a price to get a player that doesn't add that much more than what Zbad is already doing in the same position.

I'll give you Eichel is younger but the last two seasons, including a Covid ridden 15 games where he had 3 points Mika is outproducing him.

Prorating it to an 82 game season Mika has 93 points pace and Eichel has an 88 point pace. And this is once again including 15 games where Mika had 3 points.

Reactions: Siddi

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'll give you Eichel is younger but the last two seasons, including a Covid ridden 15 games where he had 3 points Mika is outproducing him.

Prorating it to an 82 game season Mika has 93 points pace and Eichel has an 88 point pace. And this is once again including 15 games where Mika had 3 points.

Zibanejad has 45 points in 49 games. That's a 75 point pace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->