Injury Report: Mika Zibanejad out with concussion

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'd take Carey over vesey tbh. I think Carey has gotten consistently better game in and game out...to the point where as a 4th liner im perfectly fine with him being in the lineup. He's turned himself from a mediocre emergency fill in to a reliable 45th liner with a good forcheck and a pretty underrated passing ability. He's made quite a few excellent passes.

Vesey knows 2 things...skate hard and turn pucks over. Right now vesey is the worst player in the lineup.

He's better than glass..so call it an upgrade over last year...but for a top 9 player he's legit awful. As a 4th liner hed just be crappy...as a top 9 I shudder every time he's on the ice.
Very well said. I'm happy I'm not alone in thinking all of this.

Vesey should be dealt for something of value before other GM's around the league notice.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Detailed analysis on Zibanejad's time as a Ranger thus far would be great :) Strengths, weaknesses, injuries, history, projection, what types of players he works best with, what kind of C / wings would best complement him, etc. Thanks

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
This absolutely ridiculous.

Carey cost them the Panthers game. He has zero impact normally. Lettieri is a much better option.

Vesey has offense to his game. He does make plays. He is not the type though to do it on his own on a line. He cannot survive on the 4th line. He is a player that needs to play with talent like a Nash. To say he hurts everyone he plays with is just a completely absurd agenda based comment
Carey is a solid player. Glad to see some people getting on the bandwagon.

Reactions: will1066

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
How long can such a concussion protocol last? I remember Crosby in last year playoffs he was much quicker back on the ice after a nasty hit on him against WSH such a dirty team.

We are playing against WSH tomorrow, let`s go!! And which remind us that we need a new PGT! @Loffen :)
I actually was rooting for Pitt last playoffs simply because of how much garbage they took from other teams. It was gross. Crosby is a whiner but he takes so much abuse.
Way off topic, I know, but what kind of a league allows it’s players, and stars even, to take totally pointless physical abuse. (The NFL, I guess, is the answer. But...)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hire Sather- Not counting on anything, but I think the threshold to go into protocol nowadays is a lot lower than just a handful of years ago. Think there is good hope that he will come back pretty soon.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Hire Sather- Not counting on anything, but I think the threshold to go into protocol nowadays is a lot lower than just a handful of years ago. Think there is good hope that he will come back pretty soon.

I think the protocol itself is longer as well. Players get concussed in the NFL and are almost always back by the next week.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I think the NFL has shown it doesn't care about the players safety enough times... The NHL on the other hand players are more visible especially guys like Crosby

The coaches and players themselves have too much say in the matter in the NFL. First off you have to take the decision out of a players hand in concussion cases. Secondly, the coaches in the NFL push the players to get back or have too big a say in the matter when it should be a DR.'s call. It's better than it was but definitely not where it should be.

And that's why NFL will be screwed when players start suing.

They have been (suing) if I am not mistaken.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
The bueno news is that when he's back, he'll be more healthy and less concussed than if under less stringent protocols. The team values Zib. They're not going to take chances on this in December. Looking forward to having him back.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
They have been (suing) if I am not mistaken.
They settled for like a billion dollars lol.

The next big case is regarding the use of pain killers and kidney damage. Team doctors pass them out like tic tacs. They don’t tell the players how bad it is for them only that they won’t feel the pain anymore

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I do not know if this has been covered but how many concussions has Zibs had so far in his NHL career?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I've read here around 4-5.
I knew of 3 for sure but thought it might be 4. I had not heard 5. I sure hope not. These things can have a cumulative effect. I'm still upset we lost Pat LaFontaine and Mike Sauer to concusions.

member 116805

I knew of 3 for sure but thought it might be 4. I had not heard 5. I sure hope not. These things can have a cumulative effect. I'm still upset we lost Pat LaFontaine and Mike Sauer to concusions.

The number 4-5 was thrown out at as total (in the NHL and in sweden) I believe

Edit: if my memory serves me right it was posted by @Ola

Reactions: NickyFotiu

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The number 4-5 was thrown out at as total (in the NHL and in sweden) I believe

Edit: if my memory serves me right it was posted by @Ola

Someone made a point about this, probably many players have had 4-5 concussions if you go back to pre-NHL. I don't think it's as bad as it sounds.

member 116805

Someone made a point about this, probably many players have had 4-5 concussions if you go back to pre-NHL. I don't think it's as bad as it sounds.

That was what I was getting at, total for his career.
And then there are probably the same amount which were not reported (as for the majority of players I would think).
If he is already back on the ice skating, it couldn't have been too bad is what I'm thinking. Especially taken into consideration how aware the NHL is of this issue now compared to only a few years ago

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
That was what I was getting at, total for his career.
And then there are probably the same amount which were not reported (as for the majority of players I would think).
If he is already back on the ice skating, it couldn't have been too bad is what I'm thinking. Especially taken into consideration how aware the NHL is of this issue now compared to only a few years ago

I dont know. Yes, hes skating, but he also hasnt been cleared for contact, so that suggests symptoms are still evident. The sinister thing about concussions is the increased frequency you can receive them (severe or not) once they start to accrue.

member 116805

I dont know. Yes, hes skating, but he also hasnt been cleared for contact, so that suggests symptoms are still evident. The sinister thing about concussions is the increased frequency you can receive them (severe or not) once they start to accrue.

With a concussion you can't even stand up, let alone skate, without struggling. He'll be cleared for contact soon enough, it's good they are careful and we've done alright without him so no need to take any chances

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Griffinbw

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
With a concussion you can't even stand up, let alone skate, without struggling. He'll be cleared for contact soon enough, it's good they are careful and we've done alright without him so no need to take any chances

Thats just simply not true. It depends on the severity and the symptoms vary wildly. If what you said was true, how did Zibanejad take pre-game warm ups a week ago? How is he skating now?

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
Thats just simply not true. It depends on the severity and the symptoms vary wildly. If what you said was true, how did Zibanejad take pre-game warm ups a week ago? How is he skating now?
Often with concussions no physical activity is recommended during the recovery period. Getting your blood pumping etc. could trigger symptoms and slow recovery. Him skating is a great sign

Reactions: Alluckks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad